B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
My epson 4010 was deliveried yesterday.i have one question because the skimpy setup doesnt explain anything. What is a HDCP 2.2 cable? I’ve never heard of it. Does this mean a regular HDMI cable is obsolete?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
All HDMI cables are capable of HDCP2.2. Not ALL cables can handle 18Gb/s speed. The only time you need a cable with 18Gb/s speed is when you have 4K content that is actually pushing that much speed. Otherwise, you are typically fine with standard HDMI cables.

Didn't we talk about this already?

If not, the real goal of any mention of HDCP2.2 or HDMI 2.0 is to ensure that every piece of the chain supports HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2. The projector does, and that's the last piece. While HDMI is backwards compatible, there are certain devices that are newer which may require HDCP2.2 compliance, but the cable isn't one of those things. It just needs the capacity to support 18Gb/s for 4K. The rest will be handled automatically.

Monoprice has some very good 18Gb/s rated HDMI cables for not a lot of cash if you want to try them out. Go skinny or go home.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I don’t think it was me you were talking about cables with. But from what I googled this HDCP2.2 is more of a way to stop piracy. I guess going fiber optic HDMI cable would work for the bandwidth of 4K. Now would these cables be needed if you just watch 4K blu rays? Or is this more for watching 4K content like through Apple TV roku Netflix where they use a lot of bandwidth

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I don’t think it was me you were talking about cables with. But from what I googled this HDCP2.2 is more of a way to stop piracy. I guess going fiber optic HDMI cable would work for the bandwidth of 4K. Now would these cables be needed if you just watch 4K blu rays? Or is this more for watching 4K content like through Apple TV roku Netflix where they use a lot of bandwidth
I think you have streaming services confused. They aren’t even in the ball park of a UHD Blu Ray for bit rate. A UHD Blue Ray has a bit rate max between 60 and 128 mbps. Netflix 4K is a max of around 16mbps.

No current discs exercise the full bitrate potential of the UHD Blu Ray nor hit the 18gbps rate.

Last edited:
Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Oh I guess I should point out the disc and streaming bit rate don’t directly translate to the hdmi data rate. I’m not totally sure how that would be calculated. The point was that the disc format still has a far higher data rate and that extra information would translate to a higher HDMI throughput.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
UHD Blu-ray Discs at 24 frames per second are typically under 10Gb/s for data rates.
Gaming consoles which can push 60 frames per second of 4K video and utilized HDR, can start coming much closer to the 18Gb/s data rates which full data rate HDMI 2.0 can support.

If using a proper A/V receiver like you should be using is in place near your sources, then you will only need short HDMI cables for that, and Amazon and Monoprice have certified HDMI 2.0 18Gb/s cables available for under 5 bucks a pop. Monoprice also has Redmere 18Gb/s cables for not a ton of cash in longer lengths to take it from the output of your A/V receiver to the projector.

Fiber cables are overkill IMO. They are super pricey. But, I would always have a way to add/remove any cable I install to a projector, so I could swap a bad HDMI cable without opening drywall. I would like to save $100 and just swap the cable if I needed to.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve had good luck with the cheap Monoprice hdmi2.0 certified cables in my 3 rooms but none of my runs are longer than 6ft. I use the 3ft and 6ft ones.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
All that bit rate is all kinda confusing lol. But I am aware of the cable snake oil. On my tv I had 80 monster hdmi cable then switched it out to 15 dollar hdmi cable and saw zero difference. I’m new to this 4K so I was just didn’t want to waste money on cables when it’s not needed. My HDMI lead really isn’t that long 15 ft to 18ft. I will pick up my first 4K Blu-ray tomorrow and see if there is a issue

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis