Woohoo! Top Gun WS DTS on 12/14

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Well Nick,
I'd seen this flick so many times, I never thought to buy it. While at Sam's Club in Toronto I saw "Special Collectors Edition" for $13.95cdn so I figured, might as well read the jacket.

As you said DTS, but not just DTS, DTS 6.1. It's also a 2 discr.
So I rushed home, threw it in the Panny and to my amazment the face of my Denon 5800 flashed DTS 6.1 Discrete. Thats when I congratulated myself for getting the upgrade.
All I can say is WOW, WOW, double WOW. My 9 speaker array may initiate a visit from some of my Condo neighbours.

As John Travolta said in Broken Arrow "F'm if they can't take a joke".

Now with "The Haunting and "Motown", that makes 3.

Peter m.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Roger Ebert has an interesting review of this flick. He says it's really two films in one: a fantastic film in the sky mixed with a relentlessly awful movie on the ground. I'd have to agree. The flight stuff is amazing, but the plot is hilarious, the acting awful, the writing absurd. One of the worst movies of all time that I actually enjoy.

"Talk to me, Goose!" :p

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Cheesy. Action-packed. Pretty faces. Great music. My type of movie. ;)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

A naked Kelly McGillis would have merited another star.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Mines in transit from Amazon as we speak, along w/ I Robot. Been looking forward to these two for along time. Hope they will be here today for a double feature tonight. Thankfully I live in the country! Will voice my opinion after viewing.

I remember Top being the defacto Laserdisc for demonstrating surround sound on showroom floors (along with Jurassic Park)... Now they finally upgraded the track for DTS and a true surround experience. I'll have to pick it up and give it a listen.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Just got my Top Gun and I Robot in the mail! :) Couldnt wait to pop in Top Gun, pretty cool menu, switched it to DTS ES and watched about 10 min. and :D :D :D , can't wait for the double feature tonight.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
I was really impressed with the DTS 6.1 Discrete trac, it made it a new movie for me. Quite frankly I've been a DTS anything fan from the get go. It was also my first introduction to mltich music so when DVD-A and SACD came along, I was already one of the converted.

This release of "Top Gun" may also encourage me to check out some of the other Extra's, or Disc 2's that I've never investigated.
The "Making Of" was very interesting particularly since this film was made the old fashoined way before CGIs became 2/3rds of production budgets.

Peter m.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis