DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Has anyone ever repaired their woofer rot with the repair kits available? I have a pair of older Marrantz SP1200 w/ 12 in. woofers that need fixed and was wondering how hard to use or good these DIY kits are? Are these speakers worth fixing or buy a couple of replacement woofers? Just wanted some opinions and comments, and also any suggested web sites for purchase. Thanks.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
How much is the kit? How large is the magnet?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
DTS said:
Has anyone ever repaired their woofer rot with the repair kits available? I have a pair of older Marrantz SP1200 w/ 12 in. woofers that need fixed and was wondering how hard to use or good these DIY kits are? Are these speakers worth fixing or buy a couple of replacement woofers? Just wanted some opinions and comments, and also any suggested web sites for purchase. Thanks.
Replacing the surrounds will most certianly be the way to go. If you want to replace the drivers you need to contact marantz and get the thiel-small parameters for the drivers the cabinet was designed for. you cant expect to slap any old set of 12" drivers in and expect them to sound good. once you get the specs, you need to find a driver with similar parameters, www.madisound.com is where i would start. I looked up those speakers and they look pretty dated, paper mids and tweeters. I would recomend updating to something a little higher quality.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
The kits at www.wooferrepair.com are very easy to work with. they even send you a 20 minute dvd showing you what all to do. I spent $ 28.50 for a pair of inner and outer foams for some 15 inch Infinity woofers with priority shipping. As long as you are willing to be a little patient (took me about two hours, mostly getting the old goop off the spider) and get a little messy, you'll be fine.

the repaired speakers sound great, no fuzzing at all on the bass.

V

VolksyGTI

Enthusiast
I had my 12'' Infinity woofers reconed last year. I looked in the Yellow pages for "speaker repair", I called and asked for a quote.
They wanted $98 if I brought the speakers in, or $49 if I only brought in the drivers themselves.
Of course I chose the cheaper option...not only cheaper but a lot easier than schlepping 2 huge wooden boxes along to the store.
They replaced the surrounds and the dustcaps with original Infinity parts in about 4 business days. I think it was worth it to pay them $49.50 for such a great job.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis