WOLFMOTHER (2006) CD Review

So you find yourself in your 1970’s kitchen hankerin’ for some classic rock. Let’s say you start with some Zeppelin, then stir in some Rush and Styx, and for good measure, a sprinkle of Spinal Tap. Mix it all together, then let it bake for about 30 years. The result? WOLFMOTHER, circa 2006. This Australian trio jammed together for years before they began to play publicly in 2004, which led to an independent EP. Within a year they made their way to L.A. to begin recording this full-length debut project. They were most certainly helped earlier this year when Apple featured their ultra funky groove Love Train in an iPod ad.

[Read the Review]

Last edited by a moderator:
Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Great review Clint!

I found these guys earlier this year and your review has summed up my reaction perfectly. These guys are great and they are a really tight band with a great sound. A nice change from all the screaming-pop-metal-teenbeat-woosy-boy rock bands out there now in the Rock scene. I also don't feel they have ripped off any of the great 60-70's bands but have rather brought that sound back in their own way.

I put this CD in and crank it up. Loud! You can't help but get wrapped up in the loud, crunchy, "vintage?" sound these musicians crank out.

Shinerman.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I just recently heard a song from these guys on the radio. Liked it. I'll have to check them out further.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
My friend has been harping about these guys for about 3 months now. Personally, I don't car for it.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
It's not for everybody, but if you want some "new" classic 70's rock, WOLFMOTHER is the ticket....

H

Hans

Audioholic Intern
I first heard of them while flipping channels on TV and caught the end of "Woman" playing on a music channel. Those last few seconds blew me away. Went to buy the album immediately, and wow, all excellent, no fillers.

Just cant stop headbanging, my neck hurt. It's the kind of music that incite you to do funny stupid stuff.:D

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Hans said:
I first heard of them while flipping channels on TV and caught the end of "Woman" playing on a music channel. Those last few seconds blew me away. Went to buy the album immediately, and wow, all excellent, no fillers.

Just cant stop headbanging, my neck hurt. It's the kind of music that incite you to do funny stupid stuff.:D

I love it! Yes - plenty of air-drum and air-guitar moments, no doubt!!

:D

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I just picked this up tonite. Nice. Not for everybody but for me it brought back some good memories of the late seventies.
Side stepping the obvious Plant style vocals I'd compare them more to a circa '75/'76 Rush. with maybe a hint of Sabbath thrown in along with some pre-Wakeman/Banks/Yes keyboards.
Feeling old now. Must sleep.
In reality, I've found the true test of a good band is their sophomore release.
Queen, Zeppelin, Rush, just to name a few, and yes I'm still momentarily lost in the seventies, pulled it off. I'm eager to see if these guys can sustain.

S

samNOISE

Audioholic Intern
WolfMother

Nice to see folks groovin' to 'underground' classic rock (Gee, a new genre defined?). Check out a load of other new-age / old-school and everything in between - all truly free and legal [links] here:

http://www.cdnav.com/free_&_legal.htm

You'll get to hear a little WolfMother there as well.

Andrew D.

PS: Admin: Not to squat on your site :eek: - it’s much nicer than mine :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis