Status
Not open for further replies.
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I was just last night- wondering what ever happened to those speakers.

Sorry you got ripped off. I did buy a sub design from him for like 50 bucks and he made me sign a contract on that. He did deliver the design plans to me and he even called the guy that was making the box to discuss the details. I never had the sub built, heck, I'm not even sure what I did with the design files.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I was just last night- wondering what ever happened to those speakers.

Sorry you got ripped off. I did buy a sub design from him for like 50 bucks and he made me sign a contract on that. He did deliver the design plans to me and he even called the guy that was making the box to discuss the details. I never had the sub built, heck, I'm not even sure what I did with the design files.
It was 70 bucks and I can let you have them for $87.50 ... inflation. :)

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Have to agree with Adam; I always saw him as a 'One Trick Pony'

His endless talk of Constrained Layer Damping and overly complex methods. To what end?:confused:
The tube steel slopped together with construction adhesive had my eyes rolling.
I kept quiet for years, since he had the ear of many...to put it diplomatically.:D
Gotta admit, I never saw what others did in his writings, either. He sounded like a guy who may have had a naturally good ear but hadn't listened to much.

Now, CLD panels are definitely a good idea. I use CLD in my mains, and think they might be better for it. (Theoretically, at least, they are.) But his overly-complex bracing just added needless mass and ran the risk of sending reflections back through the speaker cones.

Horrible that the little punk managed to scam people out of serious money, though.

Training to be MLS's protege?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It was 70 bucks and I can let you have them for $87.50 ... inflation. :)
80 and I'll even build the box for him if he signs this commercial contract. Alex can vouch for my timely delivery of DIY projects. Sometime in 2018 expect delivery. :p

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
It's a shame that the situation with Chris came to this. I always enjoyed reading his posts on the forum, and I do not regret purchasing my B2030p speakers and modifying them to hi specification. He knew his stuff, and the measurements he took backed up his claims. His banishment put a quick end to that, and I haven't seen him post here (since his ban was lifted), or on any other A/V forum in a while. I hope that moderators won't delete his posts as a result of his actions; that would punish the AH community, as I reference his posts often, and it would be difficult for me to archive most of them.

I don't need to elaborate on his behavior with respect to his business practices; there are tens of posts before mine that do it for me. I sympathize with you Randy, I really do; I've been scammed for a couple thousand, and there was little I could do about it. I just hope that you either come to terms the loss (as I had to), or chase after him in small claims as others have mentioned and receive justice for your misfortune.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have had many phone conversations with Chu on this. In the end, it just did not make sense to throw good money after bad. I am pretty sure Chu would continue to pursue it but not with his own money:) In addition, the statute of limitations has probably expired on this depending on when the default would have been deemed to occur.

Again, this was my mistake, but there were others who either lost small amounts or took moving heaven and earth to get him to finish small projects. I just want to make sure no one forgets and somehow lets him back into the community.

This sucks Randy. But I also publicly urged you to seek your remedies in court. The reason is that when it came time for Chris to get a loan or lease on something and he has an outstanding judgement against him. Well most likely Chris would come a knocking looking to get it off of his record.

It wasn't dumb to have WmAx build you a pair of speakers. Anyone I have ever spoken too that has heard his custom setup knows he knows what he is doing.

The dumb part is that you haven't chosen to seek remedies that you should have. If it's not important enough to you do take this step then I fail to see why it should be important to uninvolved 3rd parties. I can only feel for ya to a certain point.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
This sucks Randy. But I also publicly urged you to seek your remedies in court. The reason is that when it came time for Chris to get a loan or lease on something and he has an outstanding judgement against him. Well most likely Chris would come a knocking looking to get it off of his record.

It wasn't dumb to have WmAx build you a pair of speakers. Anyone I have ever spoken too that has heard his custom setup knows he knows what he is doing.

The dumb part is that you haven't chosen to seek remedies that you should have. If it's not important enough to you do take this step then I fail to see why it should be important to uninvolved 3rd parties. I can only feel for ya to a certain point.
As long as you will pay for going to court, I am fine with it. I took this to the prosecutor and an attorney but it was going to be expensive. Going to small claims court meant at least one trip to virginia if not two. I was in business for myself and used small claims court quite a bit. At best it was usually break even and by break even I meant I got back only the expenses paid to go to court AND trying to collect once I got a judgement. Once you have a judgement, you still have to collect. So I would caution you against thinking you know more than others when it comes to various legal avenues.

P.S. What don't you get about Chris living at home with his parents on disability with no means of support and no assets except a few personal items that he most likely bought with my 5k (no midnight repossessions for me, been there done that...too old to get shot)? He doesn't care about loans or leases or he wouldn't live at home. He is said to have Tourette's but I question whether that is true or handy excuse.

P.P.S. I didn't come back and post for your feelings (frankly it matters not to me what you think of me). I came back to put a wrapper on things and warn others which seems considerate when you go back and search and find all the glowing things said about this douchebag. As a moderator, you should know that I asked him to build speakers for me specifically because of glowing reports by members (so called 3rd parties) of Audioholics. You are wrong, the dumb part was not running away when he demanded a contract. Hell, I bought Jim Salk's first commercial speaker and he didn't need a contract. Jim still doesn't ask for contracts as far as I know.

What is beyone dispute is that the guy is a lier of the first order.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I always enjoyed reading his posts...I hope that moderators won't delete his posts as a result of his actions; that would punish the AH community, as I reference his posts often...
Really?

Makes me want to puke just seeing his name.

Moderator needs to put a permanent tag on every one of his post labeling "Dirty Rotten Scoundrel" or "Con Artist" or "Scumbag" or something.:D

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Really?

Moderator needs to put a permanent tag on every one of his post labeling "Dirty Rotten Scoundrel" or "Con Artist" or "Scumbag" or something.:D
Yep, I agree.

jinjuku

jinjuku

As long as you will pay for going to court, I am fine with it. I took this to the prosecutor and an attorney but it was going to be expensive. Going to small claims court meant at least one trip to virginia if not two. I was in business for myself and used small claims court quite a bit. At best it was usually break even and by break even I meant I got back only the expenses paid to go to court AND trying to collect once I got a judgement. Once you have a judgement, you still have to collect. So I would caution you against thinking you know more than others when it comes to various legal avenues.
Uh, same to you Randy. BTW we have been in court 6 times in 14 years. Been worth it every time.

One you can take it to your local small claims court. Two Chris isn't going to show so an argument about jurisdiction won't be an issue. Three you are going to be given a default judgement. Four, small claims in these parts costs $85. Five you will be given a judgement that you can ask for 1.8% plus court costs. This doesn't take an attorney.

And I most likely DO know more about the legal wranglings. You can place a lien against Chris. You can have this on his credit record for either 7 or 10 years. You can make this follow him. When he needs a mortgage, he needs a car loan or lease, well you are going to get the call.

We had this happen with an outfit in NJ. Went to court, statutory award, three years later they couldn't so much as lease a folding chair. We had already wrote off the bad debt and wished them luck in their going out of business sale (yes it happened since they couldn't get a lease on new equipment).

What would really be of benefit is not only warning others of a problem person out there but a best practices if you get screwed. I feel for you Randy, I really do. Having been in your shoes for a lot more money it is INCUMBENT to exhaust all avenues.

If it was me I would have taken Chris to court. Received my award and turned it over to a collection agency.

Last edited:
R

randyb

Full Audioholic
If it was me I would have taken Randy to court. Received my award and turned it over to a collection agency.
Freudian slip?

You are saying I could file a small claims court case locally in Jackson County MO and have him served in VA? If true, I certainly didn't know that.

Your mindset kind of blows my mind. You think that contracting with WmAx to build me speakers knowing what you do now that would require as you have recommended sueing the guy was not dumb on my part? I sure think it was dumb on my part.

P.S. the max is 5k so it is maxed out on fees etc. So unless you are right about filing locally, you honestly would pay the expenses to go to VA to file with this guy and think you would collect? Who here posting who knows this guy, thinks I would collect and that I wouldn't be throwing good money after bad.? By the way, where is Jerry Love. His post was prophectic about it ending up being a civil matter and getting anything out of WmAx would be pretty much fruitless. In any event, just wanted wrap it up and to warn others so I won't be posting anymore on the subject.

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
For somebody that knows a lot about legal matters you should probably be aware that its not a good idea to give any legal advice if you're not an attorney.

Unfortunate situation for sure- Randy's points on exposing a bad transaction are well taken and that should be the end of it.

If I were a bazillionaire, the 5K wouldn't mean anything to me, but I'd want other people to know not to deal with the guy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...you can take it to your local small claims court. Two Chris isn't going to show so an argument about jurisdiction won't be an issue. Three you are going to be given a default judgement. Four, small claims in these parts costs $85. Five you will be given a judgement that you can ask for 1.8% plus court costs. This doesn't take an attorney.
So Randy could take the case to his own local state claims court?

He would not have to even travel out of state?

He would not need a lawyer?

It may cost a total of $85?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Really?

That would take an Admin logging into WmAx's account. And the scarlet letter is actually not a bad idea.

Every board seems to have on. Polkaudio has Ben62670, I'm sure AVS and other have theirs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I were a bazillionaire, the 5K wouldn't mean anything to me, but I'd want other people to know not to deal with the guy.
If I were a billionaire, I would spend $100,000 to screw that scoundrel to no end.:eek:

R

randyb

Full Audioholic

My questions as well, since small claims court in the cases I took them to was filed by county (of the person/business you were sueing)?

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

For somebody that knows a lot about legal matters you should probably be aware that its not a good idea to give any legal advice if you're not an attorney.

Unfortunate situation for sure- Randy's points on exposing a bad transaction are well taken and that should be the end of it.

Small claims courts require ZERO attorneys. Some even BAR attorneys from the first meeting.

So I don't mind giving out a bit of free advice.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Absolutely. Always assume you have jurisdiction (even if you don't) let the other guy argue that. The magistrate isn't there to argue issues of Jurisdiction on behalf of the defendant.

Correct

Yeppers.

Includes notice of service even. The clerk takes care of it for you. The court serves papers. Not the individual.

Last edited:
R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Absolutely. Always assume you have jurisdiction (even if you don't) let the other guy argue that. The magistrate isn't there to argue issues of Jurisdiction.

Correct

Yeppers.

Includes notice of service even. The clerk takes care of it for you. The court serves papers. Not the individual.
Probably too late, but I will see if I can pursue that because I have never heard of filing in a different state for service in another. I wouldn't argue jurisdiction the question I have is how does Jackson Co, MO get some sheriff to serve douchebag in VA?

jinjuku

jinjuku

My questions as well, since small claims court in the cases I took them to was filed by county (of the person/business you were sueing)?
Are you saying in the cases you filed. That you filed in the county that the person you were suing resided in? If so that is mistake # 1.

All our contracts do however feature a jurisdiction clause and a personal guarantee or two years of financial statements.

We actually wrote all our own contracts and simply had our business attorney review.

Best book I ever picked up (10 years+ ago): How to get paid and Keep Your Customers. I picked it up at a book warehouse for $4.98 (out of print). This little gem has literally allowed us over the past 10 years to collect something in the neighborhood of $75K (one award for $42K including attorney fees and court costs). The absolute best business purchase we have made to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis