dilznoofus

dilznoofus

Audioholic Intern
http://forums.linksys.com/

You might want to ask your question there. They should have more insight into a Linksys router issue than anyone.

I own one of those routers, mine has been pretty much trouble free, which helps you not one bit.

Are you doing an actual reset, or are you cycling the power? Have you gone into the router menu and checked your access, security, and restriction settings? 192.168.1.1 is the address, your user ID and password are admin/admin if you have not changed them from the factory default.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
http://forums.linksys.com/

You might want to ask your question there. They should have more insight into a Linksys router issue than anyone.

I own one of those routers, mine has been pretty much trouble free, which helps you not one bit.

Are you doing an actual reset, or are you cycling the power? Have you gone into the router menu and checked your access, security, and restriction settings? 192.168.1.1 is the address, your user ID and password are admin/admin if you have not changed them from the factory default.
yes, yes, yes, yes, yes... lol thanks for you help though. Like I told you, I'm computer litterate so I've setup quite a few networks here and there (home). But I have no luck in my house.

But guess what. I just bought another D-Link (new models) and brought it home. Came home and the Linksys was working like a charm! I haven't had any problems since then. Nothing happened. I didn't even touch anything. Just shut off my computer and came back approx. 36 hours later. See... that's what I hate about those things. They go on an off as they please. Grrr. Now I'm stuck with two routers. One that has a slightly better range (slightly), and the other one that looks WAY better (black and grey that fits all my equipment (see "at mom's" setup thread) and has a stand to make it stand besides my screen.

dilznoofus

dilznoofus

Audioholic Intern
My bad. I spent too many years answering IT phones for a living not to hit all the basic stuff right off the bat.

Good news that it started working again.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I find it funny how every single router above the WRT54G is either an N router or MIMO. Of course they are going to be faster!
The problem with the WRT54G is not its N or MIMO status. It's a lack of RAM and processor power.

I just liked directly to the wireless throughput chart, but I assumed that viewers would be clever enough to realize that there is more on the page. There are a number of performance charts a single click away, including charts of non-wireless info like number of connections that can be sustained, total up/down wired throughput, etc. I didn't think I needed to link to all of them directly.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
The problem with the WRT54G is not its N or MIMO status. It's a lack of RAM and processor power.
Yeah but you have to take into consideration that the only thing I'm doing with it is to go on wired internet via my PC 95% of the time. Then add my PS3 - wireless, not even for gaming (only updates and music transfer with my PC) and my gf's laptop - wireless (basic internet browsing). That's it. I don't think I need some high-tech equipment. I know that the RAM is so low that you can't even upload a linux-based firmware on it though. bummer. I would've liked to try DD-WRT or Tomatoe.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
You don't need high-power equipment, but you spent $60 on a wireless router that's worth about $10 and performs worse than other routers at half the price. That's why I said you get what you pay for - most of the time.

My suggestion is/was to return the WRT54g, a well-known POS, and get something more worth your money.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
You don't need high-power equipment, but you spent $60 on a wireless router that's worth about $10 and performs worse than other routers at half the price. That's why I said you get what you pay for - most of the time.

My suggestion is/was to return the WRT54g, a well-known POS, and get something more worth your money.
And what would be worth my money in your opinion?

I bought a D-Link WBR-2310 for 50$ (which is also cheap). Works good too but a little less wireless range.

BTW, the linksys has been working o.k. since. I haven't had any problems.

I would try the WRT54GL but it's not available in stores around here.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
While Linksys provides many consumer routers (they are owned by cisco), they are not very high quality. D-Link is in the same bag.

Buffalo is a very respected name in the computer community for providing rock solid, professional grade routers in the same price range.

I have had a WHR-HP-G54 for the past 2 years and never had to power cycle it for any reason. the firmware is good as is, and also has many 3rd party mods available. Opening a port for file sharing or torrents is very easy even with a dynamic ip address.

The new models are improved with additional ram, etc... not the constant penny piching of the WRT54G by linksys (the quality of that router has gone down with each revision... now you have to pay extra for the linux version (that has the same amount of ram as the version 1)).

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Linksys and Dlink.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Both D-Link and Linksys produce some of the best cosnumer routers on the market.

It all depends on which model you get. A couple of D-Link models are probably the best consumer routers available right now.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Tom's hardware has very good information on routers, including reviews.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_wireless/Itemid,200/chart,28/

My experience with Linksys and Netgear is that the routers are "cut down" significantly in features, 3rd party firmware. and hardware.

Other companies, such as Buffalo provide alot more hardware for your buck.

Yes, Linksys and Netgear have "premium" routers, that you can pay alot for... but the run of the mill, WRT-54G and the like are just trash.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Notice that D-Link routers are at the top of both of those lists, so don't leave them off the list.

Buffalo makes some decent equipment, and I heartily recommend them as well. They don't have the market cornered on cost-effective performance routers, though.

The point is that you should make sure the model you want to buy is a quality model.

100r1

Junior Audioholic
I have a LInksys WRT54G V1 & WRT54GS V4 both flashed with BrainSlayers DD-WRT firmware V24 RC-5 and it kicks ***. I have the routers set to "UNIVERSAL WIRELESS REPEATER" mode, This firm ware allows to make many changes including increasing the power out. I run Mine a 84 mW (stck is 28 mW) for increased range.

I like the Linksys products for routers based on the Broadband chip (look at buffalo also based on same chips). I prefer Athros and Ralink based chip for Wifi adapters when using in Linux applications.

Looking for more information on streaming Audio and Video over wireless, anyone have any good forums to look up?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis