D

Drune

Audiophyte
In the early 80s, a friend bought some speakers that were new to me. I had never seen such, and I never have again. They were frames about five feet high and maybe 20 inches across. They had wires running from the top crossbar to the bottom crossbar. They were speakers, and they produced amazing sound. They were also quite expensive; as I recall, she paid $3000 for a pair, which was a great deal of money 35 years ago. Can anyone tell me what such speakers were called, and if they are still sold?

D

Drune

Audiophyte
I had found Magnaplanar speakers in my searching. They look very similar, but what my friend bought had bare wires running up and down the frame.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Carver also made some planar type speakers but I don't remember any bare wires.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They're still some sort of planar speaker with the wires running across the transducer area. Just a matter of figure out which.

I've heard the Carvers. Man, they sounded great. The ones I heard don't look quite like the typical electrostatic.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In the early 80s, a friend bought some speakers that were new to me. I had never seen such, and I never have again. They were frames about five feet high and maybe 20 inches across. They had wires running from the top crossbar to the bottom crossbar. They were speakers, and they produced amazing sound. They were also quite expensive; as I recall, she paid $3000 for a pair, which was a great deal of money 35 years ago. Can anyone tell me what such speakers were called, and if they are still sold?
Did they look like anything in this link?

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/apogee-acoustics-company-special/apogee-acoustics-timeline-and-history/

D

Drune

Audiophyte
highfigh, I couldn't find anything at the link that was close. But thank you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis