M

MidnightAudio

Audiophyte
Hello all,
Hey,I'm new to this site, and was curious as if anyone can help me.
I'f I put (2) 16 gauge wire together what will be the new gauge? Or if I put (2) 8 gauge will it equal 4 gauge? In the past we did a thread count and it stated that, to equal 4 gauge you need 2.5 8 guages. Is that still true?
Thats for all your help.
Tom :confused:

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
based on this information:

AWG: In the American Wire Gauge (AWG), diameters can be calculated by applying the formula D(AWG)=.005·92((36-AWG)/39) inch. For the 00, 000, 0000 etc. gauges you use -1, -2, -3, which makes more sense that "double nought." This means that in American wire gage every 6 gauge decrease gives a doubling of the wire diameter area, and every 3 gauge decrease doubles the wire cross sectional area. Just like dB in signal levels. (Thanks to Paul D. for setting this straight).

two 16's equal 13 gage and two 8's equal 5 gage. :)

here's the link: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
MidnightAudio said:
Hello all,
Hey,I'm new to this site, and was curious as if anyone can help me.
I'f I put (2) 16 gauge wire together what will be the new gauge? Or if I put (2) 8 gauge will it equal 4 gauge? In the past we did a thread count and it stated that, to equal 4 gauge you need 2.5 8 guages. Is that still true?
Thats for all your help.
Tom :confused:
Why would you want two sets of wire together when you can inexpensively buy what ever guage you feel your systems require? The general rule I think of is 14 guage up to about 50 feet and 12 guage over 50 feet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis