Windows Steamed-Up(date). Comp expert needed.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
ironlung said:
What is the best WINTEL antivirus out there? Mcafee and Norton are both poor. What's the alternative? KAspersky AV? Let us in on the secret.
Yes, puhhleeze let us know which direction to go. I ran my computer through pcpitstop.com and they gave out red flags on slow drive speeds. My 2.4 P4 (512 ram) computer moves slower than I do...and I'm 61 years old...all since I loaded up CA.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Try out Trend Micro. Caution should go out to those who are migrating between McAfee and Symantec. There are many known issues with these two after uninstalls.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have to disagree with that list. It is pretty much backwards in the real world. There was talk about that PC World test at the other forum I frequent, PCMech. PC World did not take into account the other problems that McAffee and Norton cause such as driver issues, random reboots, extremely slow boot times, very slow shut downs, application errors, etc.

Personally I use AVG Free. It uses barly 700kb of ram and has never given me any trouble. I have never had virus problems, ever. I used to use Mcaffee and I experienced all the problems I listed above and more. When I removed McAffee, it was like I had a whole new system!

Here are some threads:

http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=129451

http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=128906&goto=nextoldest

AVG, Trend Micro and NOD32 are the ones I would use. Yes, Norton and McAffee can detect viruses, but I would not receommend either of them to anyone due to their sloppy programming and exhorbitant use of resources.

A note on AVG, though the PCWorld test ranks it last, that is far from the conensus of those at PCMech who have been working on PC's ever since they've been around. PCWorld knocked AVG because of it's "clunky" interface. The interface may look like Windows 98, but it is far from clunky and it is most definetly functional. AVG is recommended the most because it does work and it is not a resource hog. Best of all, it's free.

Then there's spyware. Adaware, SpyBot, and MS Windows Defender are about all you need. Run scans periodically and you shouldn't have any problems.

The biggest thing of all is browsing habits. Unless you click on every single link you ever see, go to every shady looking site, open every email attatchment you ever get, or download every .EXE file you see, the chances of you getting a virus is small. Just use common sense.

Last edited:
JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
Thanks Hi Ho. I may give AVG a shot on my own machine. I pretty much agree with everything else you've stated except random reboots and driver issues, etc. Not saying you're wrong, just that I haven't seen it.

Also I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph about common sense. Unfortunately most people whose machines I deal with, have NO IDEA where the original install CD's are let alone anything else they should or should not do.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
JeffD2. said:
I'll tell that to my last two clients who's machines wouldn't boot but now do and run faster than they ever have.

Sounds like a set-up problem.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Norton has problems for sure. I just uninstall it from my PC and voila! system error! I spent 40 minutes trying to repair it, i can't get it to reboot. I ended upreformating my harddisk and install a fresh winxp. I was too lazy to go through all the repairing process, i know it would take me longer to repair it. This isn't the first time, my laptop used to have similar problems.
I have tried AVG,it is great...but sometimes it's annoying to see the pop ups when they found a virus. Haven't tried to look for a way to turn it off.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have tried AVG,it is great...but sometimes it's annoying to see the pop ups when they found a virus. Haven't tried to look for a way to turn it off.
If you are getting frequent virus warnings that is not a good thing. You shouldn't try to turn that off. You should, instead, identify where the viruses are coming from and stop that.

JeffD2. said:
2) Purchase/Install McAfee Viruscan (I used to recommend Norton, but that's a whole nother story). Scan entire system.
DO NOT do this under any circumstances. Will slow your PC to a crawl. I use AVG as well.

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
DO NOT do this under any circumstances. Will slow your PC to a crawl. I use AVG as well.
I've installed McAfee on one XP machine and two W2K machines. There has been no noticeable performance hits. When I installed on W98SE machine, well, that was quite a different story. :eek:

ZoneAlarm on the other hand bogs down all of 'em.

I REALLY have to try this AVG software. Maybe then I'll see a difference. :)

FLZapped said:
Sounds like a set-up problem.
Yeah, set up with 1465 spyware objects (no, I'm not kidding) and 6 different viruses. This person was using Norton, had renewed their subscription, and thought the program was working in spite of the error messages. You know, the LU-#### error (Live update failed) or the Symevent errors. I finally got sick of Symantec's convoluted work arounds, uninstall/install, regediting, and on and on. Good riddance. :mad:

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Hi Ho said:
If you are getting frequent virus warnings that is not a good thing. You shouldn't try to turn that off. You should, instead, identify where the viruses are coming from and stop that.
I know what virus it found. The worm w32 (jeefo). I was just to lazy to read. This worm kept on replicating itself hence AVG couldn't remove it for some reason at that time. Ah, well, i did reformat my pc afterall so all the problems are gone now..Except, I don't have any antivirus for now on one of my desktops.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
SAV isnt bad it isnt great for alot but its not bad. If you experience a very slow system after booting up check to see if doscan.exe is hogging the processor. There is a supported reg fix for this from Symantec if you look.

Trend makes a solid product so does kaspersky. I have had bad experiences with Mcafee. If you have had Mcafee on your system beware of trying to install SAV after you removed Mcafee. It is not always very smooth and if you do get it in watch your event logs alot of times SAV is simply not functioning correctly. You will see errors about an invalid environment.

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
masak_aer said:
I know what virus it found. The worm w32 (jeefo). I was just to lazy to read. This worm kept on replicating itself hence AVG couldn't remove it for some reason at that time. Ah, well, i did reformat my pc afterall so all the problems are gone now..Except, I don't have any antivirus for now on one of my desktops.
A LEGAL 3 license version of McAfee is available at Sam's Club for about $45. Pretty decent price per machine when compared to Symantec's NAV.

After researching the history of the McAfee product, it's obvious that the previous software was poorly coded, thus all the problems. The same can be said for Norton. McAfee anti-virus finally dislodged Norton from the PC Magazines Editor's Choice spot for version 10.

I've got two more machines on deck, another XP and an NT4 (ugh). I'll report what happens.

BTW- I've been doing this clean up service for a few years now just as a side job. Get's me DVD and beer money.:D

No thanks, I won't try AVG.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis