Windows Steamed-Up(date). Comp expert needed.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
It seems every time a new Windows Update forces itself upon me and my comuter, I have tons of problems correcting their bugs and immature software applications. The updates seem to work especially poorly with my (Windows/Microsoft recommended) antivirus system, CA Associates EZTrust. They're even sending out beta versions of their stuff just like it was a normal "Update". :mad:

Now, I've troubleshot this current problem for days and days with knowledgeable folks, including the so-called tech support Windows staff (in India, natch). No soap.

Here's my problem. It's really a simple issue...but finding a fix? NOPE. I CANNOT see or select the thumbnail pictures in posts on this site (and probably other sites, too). Clint can't help. Hopefully one or more of you knowledgeable peeps will point me in the right direction. Maybe the "Update" changed my AV settings? I've reset everything I can think of and tried every available default setting, to boot. It just HAS to be a simple thing to fix, but it has many of us stumped.

Oh, also, whenever I open my IE browser, it now opens in small size...and no setting I can find will get it to open in the enlarged window (I have to manually do it every time). HELP!! LOL. :eek:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
No sooner did I post this thread and voila!...I managed to find ONE post that the attachment is available to me. (The one that follows.) This just does NOT make any sense. Is it because it's a bmp extension and not a true thumbnail? GRRRRRRRR....

Thanks Vierling,

The room walls, ceilings are sheetrock and the floors are carpet. The ceiling height is 8 feet. The window is covered with plantation shutters. The door opening is 32" and 72". The 72" door opening does not have doors, it is open to a foryer. The window is a 6050. I have attached a bmp file, if you save the file and then open it with windows paint I think you can see the dimensions clearly. I can send you a .DWG file but the format here want allow it, I could probably email it to you.
Let me know if you can not see the dimensions on the attached file.

Thanks

Daryl
Attached Images den2.bmp (60.2 KB, 6 views)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
First make sure that 'show pictures' is checked in tools->internet options->advanced->multimedia. Antivirus should not affect the thumbnail images, but a software firewall might.

For the sizing issue, the simplest way to fix it is to edit the registry directly:
1. Start regedit (either from a command window or start->run and type regedit).
2. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
3. On the right pane should be a key 'window placement'. Delete it.
4. Start IE and size it to the size you want, then close it.
It SHOULD be the new size when you restart it.

Another approach (off the top of my head, haven't had the same problem in awhile):
1. Right click any url and 'open in new window'
2. Close the original browser window.
3. Size the newly opened window the way you want and close it.
4. Restart IE.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
MDS said:
First make sure that 'show pictures' is checked in tools->internet options->advanced->multimedia. Antivirus should not affect the thumbnail images, but a software firewall might.

For the sizing issue, the simplest way to fix it is to edit the registry directly:
1. Start regedit (either from a command window or start->run and type regedit).
2. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
3. On the right pane should be a key 'window placement'. Delete it.
4. Start IE and size it to the size you want, then close it.
It SHOULD be the new size when you restart it.

Another approach (off the top of my head, haven't had the same problem in awhile):
1. Right click any url and 'open in new window'
2. Close the original browser window.
3. Size the newly opened window the way you want and close it.
4. Restart IE.

Actually for Part 1, you can do step 4 and it should do the trick, or do the second approach. It will work.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
*cough*cough*buyaMac*cough*cough;)

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
My take is to use Firefox. At the least it is minimally affected by microcrap's little experiments in customer annoyance we all call patches.

Yeah it might be somewhat unhelpful, but Firefox is great. I would install it, but I am in the process of a Linux migration on all my home computers...I'm sick of MS and their "execute everything" approach to computers.

If you Ebay, there are firefox extensions that can allow you to see only an ebayer's neutral and negative feedbacks, something ebay disabled a long time ago.

There are also other good extensions...such as ones that force a certain look on web forums, so if you are displeased with a new format, you don't have to look at it :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've always found it interesting that rather than offer solutions to a given problem, many people will suggest an alternative OS or application, as if the alternative is perfect and will never have any problems.

I am currently working on Firefox. The code is a small evolution from the original Netscape code that I worked on from '96 to '98. It is a fine browser but not without its own problems. A browser is an extremely complex piece of software given the hundreds of 'standards' it must support.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, guys.

The issue with the IE window sizing seems corrected. It may have a mind of its own, tho'. :rolleyes: In the past, it would open an new browser window 'mostly' enlarged, but randomly not. Every try now seems to fetch the maximized window. (I'll give it a day or two to start annoying me again.) T'anx!

The lack of access to thumbnails is still present. I have all but uninstalled my firewall software (down-graded all the settings to let in any old hacker) and still I get no thumbnails.

I really do hate computers. :mad: Can't live with 'em. Can't live without 'em. Sorta reminds me of....uh, (shhhh..she's right behind me.....) ;)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
*cough*cough*buyaMac*cough*cough;)
Feelin' your oats what with that 1k number of posts, eh R&R?! LOL. :D Actually....I've been thinking.........hmmmm.....Mac......hmmmm

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
JeffD2's PC Cleanup

1) Get rid of CA EZ-trust
2) Purchase/Install McAfee Viruscan (I used to recommend Norton, but that's a whole nother story). Scan entire system.
3) Download/Install Spybot Search And Destroy. Update the definitions, reboot in safe mode and scan your entire system. You may have to repeat this a couple of times. After you're "clean", use the Immunize feature of the software.
4) Use WINDOWS Explorer and search all your drive(s) for the following files- in search criteria box type exactly "~*.*,*.tmp" no quotes. When results are displayed, sort by date. Select and "shift delete" the files with time stamps older than today. You may want to select the "show hidden/system files" option, but I WON'T accept any responisibililty if you do and FUBAR your system.
5) Run Windows Updates.
6) Open IE and delete all cookies and offline content. Go to Security tab, click on "defaults". Go to Advanced tab click "restore defualts".Return to desktop and make sure recycle bin is empty.
7) If you're NOT running through a router, download and install ZoneAlarm.

I do these most of these routines as a part of regular system maintenance. I know a few other tricks but hopefully this will get you where you need to be. Good Luck.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
rjbudz said:
Good find, Sheep. But it OPENS in IE with the small screen (sometimes). And I was too quick to say 'solved' before....it's still doing it every now and then.

Maybe I'll try that CNET solution, anyway. Thx.
That would be alandamp, not Sheep. ;)

SheepStar

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
FLZapped said:
That would be the wrong thing to do....
I'll tell that to my last two clients who's machines wouldn't boot but now do and run faster than they ever have.

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
1) Get rid of CA EZ-trust
2) Purchase/Install McAfee Viruscan (I used to recommend Norton, but that's a whole nother story). Scan entire system.
Please do NOT purchase McAffee. It, along with Norton, is probably the worst option. Those programs are major resource hogs and cause more problems than they solve.

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
HiHo, what would you recommend?

I'm not married to McAfee but in my personal experience it's better than Norton with all it's modules hogging up resources and being nothing short of a fustercluck when people renew their subscriptions. My experience with CA products has been less than impressive as well.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
What is the best WINTEL antivirus out there? Mcafee and Norton are both poor. What's the alternative? KAspersky AV? Let us in on the secret.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis