Windows Media 9 Accepted into HD-DVD Standard

<font color='#000080'>OK, this is particularly huge as it indicates that Microsoft has finally taken a huge step closer to rooting itself (officially) in the HD-DVD playing field. The DVD Forum Steering Committee met on February 25-26 in Tokyo, Japan and voted on a series of important meeting resolutions involving the new HD-DVD spec. The WM9 approval is worded as follows:

Provisional approval of MPEG2, WM9 (VC-9) and MPEG4 AVC(H.264) Video CODECs as mandatory for the HD DVD Video specification for playback devices, subject to (a) an update in 60 days regarding licensing terms and conditions, (b) a presentation by each of the respective licensing bodies at the next SC meeting and © possible elimination of any of the above CODECs at the next SC meeting.

What I get from this is that they are acknowledging the potential good fit of Windows Media 9's codec - so much so that they have provisionally adopted it into the mandatory spec for HD-DVD. This is not a drill, and Microsoft should be pleased that its codec is listed right beside the likes of MPEG2 and MPEG4. Will this have an effect on seeing WM9 formatted content sooner, rather than later? We have no idea, and are just as eager as you to watch and see how this develops.

[Edit: added links below]

News.com Article

DVD Forum 25th Steering Committee Resolutions</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
Since WM9 &nbsp;already recognises an plays the algorythm for HDCDs (Microsoft and Pacific Microsonics are co-inventors) it would seem that as long as you have a computer with either a special or backwords compatable dvd rom drive you will be able to play a HD DVD of some kind.

I guess assuming that aside from my pc monitor I have a HT monitor that can accept these rezes it is an inexpensive way to get into HD DVD for both film and games.

Am I on the right track? Is it HD DVD for the masses?

What about Quicktime and the others?

Peter m.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Oh great now my movies are going to crash like my PC at work.

OS X it just works
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis