Willsenton R8 Integrated Tube Amp and speaker pairing

B

Burti¢

Audiophyte
Hi,

Any suggestions on what speakers (bookshelves or tower) that would be sufficiently powered by the Willsenton R8 amp? Preferably $1K or less. 780 Sq foot room, tall ceilings.

Thanks!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I looked it up, 45 wpc for about $1600 is expensive. It's manufacturer is an unknown name in the US, and apparently is Chinese made. It's quality is therefore uncertain. Also, it's no longer available on Amazon, for unknown reasons.

Do you already own this amp? If so, you might be saddled with an under-powered item. Perhaps you can sell it while it's hard to find them new.

In general, I'd aim to spend more on two speakers and less on an amplifier to drive them. There is a much better return from spending more money on speakers than spending more on amplifiers. There can be large variations in sound quality among different speakers. In well-designed and well-performing amps, much less so.

If you haven't bought this amp, it's much better to first find the speakers you like. And then find an amp with enough power to drive them without going into clipping.

Your 780 sq ft room is not small. How long and wide is it? More important than overall room dimensions, is how far away you sit from the speakers.

Many good sounding speakers can be easily driven by solid state amps capable of about 100 wpc. Many of these are made by well-known and reliable brands, and are available at significantly less than $1600.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I agree. I'd swap that budget around and spend more on the speakers. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend so much on amplification for $1000 speakers.

B

Burti¢

Audiophyte
The amp purchase is done; my apologies if that wasn't clear (and I spent $700 on it). Anywho, this will probably go in the bedroom after all, which is 144 Sq feet. Again, I'm looking for the same speaker recommendations. Any input on speakers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The amp purchase is done; my apologies if that wasn't clear (and I spent $700 on it). Anywho, this will probably go in the bedroom after all, which is 144 Sq feet. Again, I'm looking for the same speaker recommendations. Any input on speakers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Higher sensitivity speakers are your friend with a lower powered amp. Klipsch are known for higher sensitivity but they don't always make the best speakers. Are you partial to any brands or at least have an idea? I'd be looking for speakers with a sensitivity rating of at least 90 dB or better to get the most from that amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might check out Zu Audio or Tekton speakers, tend to see them mentioned for use with tube amps due higher sensitivity....

B

Burti¢

Audiophyte
Thank you all! A few bookshelf speakers I was looking at were:

WHARFEDALE - EVO 4.2 Bookshelf Speakers

FOCAL - Chora 806 Bookshelf Speakers

MartinLogan - Motion 15i Bookshelf Speakers

However, I'm definitely going to look into the Omen DWs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you looked at the sensitivity of those speakers? Do you have certain spl expectations in your use?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How loud do you listen essentially was where I was going with that. I forgot you mentioned probably now a bedroom setup, tho, so probably won't be that big a concern in there perhaps. You could look at some of the articles here https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=speaker+sensitivity+audioholics&atb=v136-1&ia=web

The speakers you mention, have you listened to any of them? I have no particular experience other than what I've read of those, generally they're competent speakers, but speakers are a fairly personal thing to an extent, hard to know what you'd like in the way of how each speaker sounds. Might consider something on an in-home trial basis if you can't go to listen to speakers; the SVS Ultra bookshelves perhaps, several member have enjoyed those and you would have a hard time finding better customer service than they offer, especially the in-home trial with paid freight round trip. You can listen to some of their offerings in Best Buy stores, too (altho the store may not be too keen on the home trial thing).

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you all! A few bookshelf speakers I was looking at were:

WHARFEDALE - EVO 4.2 Bookshelf Speakers

FOCAL - Chora 806 Bookshelf Speakers

MartinLogan - Motion 15i Bookshelf Speakers

However, I'm definitely going to look into the Omen DWs.
Of the three you mentioned, I have direct experience (by owning) the Focal Chora 806. They're very good speakers (the tweeter is fantastic for a "budget" speaker) though I would advise getting the dedicated stands ($190) as they are designed to be "swept" back for best tonality and imaging. To keep you within budget, Music Direct does have an "open box" pair in black (my least favorite color combo offering, but hey - you may you may like 'em!):

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis