Will updating 10+ year old tower speakers within the same price point make a difference?

F

fast1727

Audiophyte
Hello, I am considering updating my current set up and am looking for some advice. I am upgrading a set up that is 10 to 14 years old (I got it used in 2011), but I am staying in approximately the same price range as what my equipment was when it was new ($1500ish). I know with most things technology , after 10+ years things are woefully outdated, but I am not sure how that translates into speakers. If you are not really going to go more expensive, then has there a noticeable difference on average between what is available now at $1500 versus a decade+ ago to make an update worth it.

The set up I currently have is Aperion made up of two Intimus 5T towers, an Intimus 5C center and Intimus rear book shelf speakers and a subwoofer. I bought the towers used in 2011 so they are probably 12 to 13 years old now with the remaining speakers being 10 years old.

thank you for the help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not all that familiar with Aperion, so my answer is maybe but inflation takes its toll, too so it might not even be just a lateral move. I do see a pair of the 5Ts for $180 on fleabay, fwiw. You could order maybe something from RSL or SVS and take advantage of their free in-home trials to see what the differences might be....if you can't go out and listen to other speakers for an idea of what's out there in stores....

Is there something particular you're looking to gain by changing speakers?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hello, I am considering updating my current set up and am looking for some advice. I am upgrading a set up that is 10 to 14 years old (I got it used in 2011), but I am staying in approximately the same price range as what my equipment was when it was new ($1500ish). I know with most things technology , after 10+ years things are woefully outdated, but I am not sure how that translates into speakers. If you are not really going to go more expensive, then has there a noticeable difference on average between what is available now at $1500 versus a decade+ ago to make an update worth it.

The set up I currently have is Aperion made up of two Intimus 5T towers, an Intimus 5C center and Intimus rear book shelf speakers and a subwoofer. I bought the towers used in 2011 so they are probably 12 to 13 years old now with the remaining speakers being 10 years old.

thank you for the help.
Upgrading the center first would improve sound the most , fronts don’t do nEar as much . THere are so many brands to choose from maybe do some research ???
Rsl , hsu , psa make good stuff , chane , jbl, Klipch, maybe depends what you want .
The brand your using shot up in price ,10 years isn’t long for speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think a pair of Prime Pinnacles would be a nice, noticeable upgrade from what you have now, but I'd only get them if I planned to also at least get the matching center.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis