Will this hsu sub fill my room with bass?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
short answer: yes it will. 15H is a beast in all senses

Long one: Call HSU support line. Depends how really loud you like - you might want to add a second 15H later :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You would need a pretty huge room for that NOT to fill it :) Your room, no problem. I've heard the VTF-3 in a room the size of yours and it was already fine. The Outlaw LFM-1EX is rated large room already and is an older version of the VTF-3.

L

l300lover

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys Im gonna get this beast! Maybe another down the road!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You would need a pretty huge room for that NOT to fill it :) Your room, no problem. I've heard the VTF-3 in a room the size of yours and it was already fine. The Outlaw LFM-1EX is rated large room already and is an older version of the VTF-3.
No doubt, but I based my cautious suggestion not to go lower vtf-3 is OP's room is not really JUST 25x15, but also has ether very tall ceilings or open to other rooms, but yea John is right.
In a sealed 25x15 room with regular 10' ceilings even vtf-3 should be more than enough

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No doubt, but I based my cautious suggestion not to go lower vtf-3 is OP's room is not really JUST 25x15, but also has ether very tall ceilings or open to other rooms, but yea John is right.
In a sealed 25x15 room with regular 10' ceilings even vtf-3 should be more than enough
There's "Enough" and then there's Audioholics :D I'd still go with the VTF-15H, but that's me. The room I heard the VTF-3 in was open on the back left to a much larger area, but just like my Empire in my old room, that small opening even though it went to larger areas, didn't affect the sub's performance in that room much. Most of the sound remained in it even though it couldn't be closed off.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Very good choice, I went with dual vtf2's and they are insane, I have cracked my ceiling and it wasn't turned up at all, they are at 25 percent... the 15 is a beast

L

l300lover

Audioholic Intern
I cant wait to hear my favorite backstreet boys and n sync songs on this sub!

L

l300lover

Audioholic Intern
So on a serious note.... Would buying the Rythmik FV15HP be worth the extra $400 or so over the HSU sub in question. I am guessing the HSU is a better bang or the buck.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I personally would choose the Rythmik, but you can read the reviews about each sub here on audioholics as well as see additional data/reviews on data-bass:
Data-Bass
Data-Bass

L

l300lover

Audioholic Intern
I would rather have the rythmik but is it worth the extra cash?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
It's worth it to some people. It's not worth it to others. It's your money.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would not buy the rythmic, I tried an lv12 and compared it to my vtf2 and was disapointed, and I really wanted to like that rythmic sub, its in my mothers HT system, I still have my vtf2 {my favorite ht sub}, I would get a vtf3 dual drive over the 15hp, dual subs do more than add 4 times more output, they smooth everything out and make the bass sound much better at any volume... I have demoed a lot of subs and HSU gets my pick for bang for your buck, also their cs is really good, one of my vtf2's came with a scratch on the bottom near the speaker {you can't see it when its setup, and you have to look for it when its upside down, and I just mentioned it when talking to the csr about setup and he refunded me some money, I didn;t even ask, and he gae me the bstock discount!!! And they always answer the phone and are very helpful....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would say the FV15HP is worth the upgrade over the VTF15h based on the measurements at data-bass.com.

Also ImcLoud, you can say that dual subs can give you 4 times the output, but that statement would need some qualification. Output is usually thought of in terms of amplitude, but with respect to amplitude in sound pressure, no, you can not get 4 times the output with dual subs. However, if you mean output in the sense of power intensity, yes, you can get 4 times the power with dual subs- assuming you are getting a 6 dB increase which would be optimistic. On the other hand, since distortion increases disproportionately rapid with more excursion, especially the last half of xmax, what you can get with dual subs is disproportionately lower distortion for the same output level as long excursion is kept low enough. Sorry to get pedantic.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
shady, the 4 times number comes from a few sources 1 SVS , when I spoke with Ed Mullen he told me doubling the sub count can get you 4 times the output, 2 HSU's website, they publish that on the dual drive webpage brochures...
they say it a few different ways...
"
give you lower distortion and higher headroom, and better long term reliability because each sub needs only 1/4 the power to play as loudly as a single "
"​
When you have four, you get up to 12 dB (16 times) more output than a single"
"When you have two, you get up to 6 dB (4 times) more output than a single"

Not to mention I HAVE 4 Dual sub set ups in my home, lol Dual subs on my jade 5's, duals on my evo40's, dual svs sb12's on my csb1's, and dual vtf2's in my ascend 5.2 system, so I have played with the settings, and db meter to get them balanced, and I notice the gain level is much lower with dual subs than it is with a single, it surprised me the first few times because common sense says 2 subs, half the gain, but it more like a 1/5th the gain...

ALSO- two subs sounds much better, all the way around, they will last longer, they will use less energy, they will look better :D, ect ect ect...

I would put a single rythmic 15hp against dual vtf3's any day in every category!!!!!!!!! I know a few guys on here just love to disagree and promote what they own, I may be one of them, but with me I have already tried the rest, most guys, bought what they bought and that is all they know, I demoed and listened to many many subs before coming to the realization that HSU is bang for buck number 1... I own svs subs, and rythmic, I have heard the previous to the 15hp sub{I think it was a hv15?} and wasn't super impressed with it either for its price, lets face it any sub can do the job, I just want one that does it for less money, with HSU you get more all the way around for LESS money :D....

To the OP, I am sure you will be happy with sub from any of the companies we have mentioned, SVS, Rythmic, HSU, ect do not sell junk, Ill bet if you bought a lv12 or vtf2 it would be enough, I know my vtf2 cracked my ceiling plaster {a few times} and it wasn't all the way up by any means. But if you wnat bang for your buck and great cs go with HSU, I have dealt with them all and bought the lv12 with the intentions of replacing my vtf2's with them, but ended up leaving it at my mothers house for her, and actually now its just shut off and has crochetting and knitting baskets on top of it, because my mother hates the house rattling, lol a $600 end table.... Me and my brothers turn it on when we go over, {always followed by a call on how to shut it off after we leave}.....

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis