Will This Be an Improvement

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Very interesting peng, thanks for that. You mentioned the smaller power supply. This is one of the things that I figured was a large contributor to my experience as the weight difference was about ten to 15 pounds. My mains are 92db and distance is just under 15’. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/79330/Jbl-Studio-S312.html rates them at 8ohm but I have no idea what they might dip to. The S/V 5ch measurement of the 1019 is abysmal, but in my bedroom the distance is about 11’ and use Yamaha bookshelf speakers at moderate volumes. It works very nicely.
Iirc, HT magazine measured the Onkyo 808(rated 135x7) I used to put out 115x7, and something crazy like 220x2. Aside from its THX certification, the output measurements were what sealed the deal for me when I bought it.
This is moot since I started using the Yamaha P series amp to drive my mains but I appreciate the academics. Thank you.
Those speakers probably dip to 6 ohms in the low range so not too bad, but the 12" driver, combined with recommended maximum power of 250 W, I would never use it with the 19 lbs 1019, the 29 lbs 1018 may be fine. I don't believe in going by weight alone or at all, but comparing the 1018 to 1019, both Pioneer class AB stuff, its fair.

I bet those JBLs sound great, just by the look of them, and the specs, and the schematics....:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have not replied back since I was really resisting the 2 bookshelf cabinets not being the ideal for housing speakers. Like I said, I am the wife and decorated the room and like the balanced look. But I also like movies with good sound. Soooo, I am thinking of moving the 2 cabinets to different walls, leaving the center console to hold the tv, raising that tv up on top (definitely not hanging it on the wall) but raising the tv will allow the center speaker to be moved in front of the tv. Annnnd getting floorstanding rp8000 speakers. Then how does that effect what I might want for a sub. Also would my lx103 Pioneer still drive a 5.1 setup with those rp8000, RP500C, rp150 surrounds and whatever sub.
The Klipsch speakers are above average sensitivity, thus requiring a little less juice to get them up towards reference level. IIRC, Shady’s review of the 8000s has them listed at an actual sensitivity of 92dB. Depending on how loud you like to watch movies, I think you will be fine. Worst case, it may struggle a tad with headroom in very dynamic scenes at reference level (105 dB peaks) which is movie-theater loud.
The sub/s won’t affect that, rather having two good subs (which if I recall you were leaning towards) should help take some of the load away from your AVRs amp stage. Since it requires more power to produce the lower frequencies, with the subs doing that work... I think you are fine.
If anything, perhaps the next upgrade down the line, you consider looking at the AVR. :) But for the next couple years... I think it’ll do the job you need it too.
:cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
One other note: I think it's great that you are willing to experiment with the furniture. Too many people insist that the room cannot change. I would encourage you to try it first with all speakers placed in front of the existing shelves. Obviously the 8000s aren't easily fitting into any cubby known to man :p but keeping the TV where it is and having the Front three in front of the cabinets could work just as well. IMO, you want to keep the distance from main LP to the Front 3 the same, some variation is nothing to worry about, but think of a nice arc where you are 9-11' away (or whatever distance) from each speaker.
In some ways, I am curious how having those shelves and knick-knacks as the front wall may be somewhat useful as they will offer some diffraction as well as reflection.
If you chose that path of having the speakers in front of the cabinets/shelves, that's where having the TV on a good wall mount might be nice for some situations, as you could pull the TV out and get it closer to the speaker line. That's a minor detail, though, and if you don't mind it with your current Center in front, maybe you won't with the new towers. ;) If you change your mind about that, pay close attention to where the studs are in the wall and shop for a mount that will allow you to screw directly into the studs, have a pullout distance from the wall that will make you happy, and is strong enough to support the weight of a TV 1 size up... just in case you decide to upgrade that some time. :D I've been very happy with my VideoSecu dual swing arm mount model MW380B3.

Hope you hang around and share your experience as you move through this!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Those speakers probably dip to 6 ohms in the low range so not too bad, but the 12" driver, combined with recommended maximum power of 250 W, I would never use it with the 19 lbs 1019, the 29 lbs 1018 may be fine. I don't believe in going by weight alone or at all, but comparing the 1018 to 1019, both Pioneer class AB stuff, its fair.

I bet those JBLs sound great, just by the look of them, and the specs, and the schematics....:D
I agree. I wouldn’t use weight alone to judge, but it seemed to fit in my case. The Onkyo 808 had a ship weight(label) of 44lbs and the 1019 was like 25.
Yes, IMO those JBL’s do sound great. I’ve always found most “upgrades” to be lateral unless spending a lot more. So until the time comes that I have a lot more to spend, I will keep them. I was really compelled to buy a pair of 590’s at the ridiculous sale price but I had heard that they were close enough to my 312’s that I thought the WAF battle would be best waged when I shoot for some revels, or Legacy’s etc.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree. I wouldn’t use weight alone to judge, but it seemed to fit in my case. The Onkyo 808 had a ship weight(label) of 44lbs and the 1019 was like 25.
Did you make a typo, the 1019 25 lbs? According to the manuals, shold be 19 lb 3 oz. The 1018 is heavier, at 29 lbs, iirc.

1562848807955.png

Also according to Pioneer website info:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1019AH-K#specs

That makes it even more convincing to you heard what you heard and it was real right? :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Did you make a typo, the 1019 25 lbs? According to the manuals, shold be 19 lb 3 oz. The 1018 is heavier, at 29 lbs, iirc.

View attachment 30078

Also according to Pioneer website info:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1019AH-K#specs

That makes it even more convincing to you heard what you heard and it was real right? :)
Wow! Yeah it does. But it’s ok, cause the Onkyo drove my JBL’s with ease and so does my p2500s!

Edit: typo? No just poor memory lol.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow! Yeah it does. But it’s ok, cause the Onkyo drove my JBL’s with ease and so does my p2500s!

Edit: typo? No just poor memory lol.
To be fair, the 1019 was pretty good at the time on a small budget for a small room using smaller speaker. Your big JBLs were the issue, I love those 12" woofers, they just don't do that any more nowadays. If I had those, I would keep them forever...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
To be fair, the 1019 was pretty good at the time on a small budget for a small room using smaller speaker. Your big JBLs were the issue, I love those 12" woofers, they just don't do that any more nowadays. If I had those, I would keep them forever...
Yes and at the time that’s where my budget/waf were. I agree the speakers were just needing more lol. Although they’re not be all end all speakers, they provide a very dynamic listening experience and the titanium tweeter(French source but can’t remember who makes it) highlights many details(good and bad lol). I do still love them. Lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis