will speaker placement damage tv?

T

tncn

Audiophyte
I have a 53" Panny HDTV CRT RPTV and i am currently using an older dolby pro logic surround system. i have a total of 5 speakers and no sub. the two main speakers are to the left and right of the tv and the center speaker is on top of the tv. the tech guy from the tv place said the center speaker will be fine in top. it is shielded. what i worry about are the left and right speakers. they are 6-7 years old. they have 10" woofers and i doubt they are shielded, although they do not cause and interference with the picture. what i am most worried about is the vibrations from the sound waves. i do not turn it up very loud, just regular movie viewing volume. the picture does not shake, but when there are explosions the sound can be loud. Will this harm the tv, but don't most people have there speakers next to the tv?

thanks for any replies.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You'e fine.

If the speaker magnets were to cause ant damage, you would have seen it by now. Sound in of itself does not harm TVs. As far as the physical vibrations caused by the sound go, unless they are strong enough to cause the set to somehow deconstruct itself, you should be fine.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I did this for a long time with a tube TV and a pair of Infinity Studio Monitor 150's (15 inch main driver, and the speaker weighted better than 80 pounds). What you might see is some slight color shift or rainbowing in the two lower corners nearest the speakers. This becomes more pronounced if you leave the TV off for a week or so.

The best solution is to just use your TV often. The residual magnetic field from the speakers will be overcome and you won't see the color shift.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

How the hell did get a pair of monster SMs to stay on your tv? And if they were you centers, what the hell do you call mains!? :eek: :D

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
tncn said:
the tech guy from the tv place said the center speaker will be fine in top. it is shielded. what i worry about are the left and right speakers. they are 6-7 years old. they have 10" woofers and i doubt they are shielded, although they do not cause and interference with the picture.
Rob, I used the unshielded 150's exactly like TC did (left and right of the TV, with a shielded center on top). Why would you think I used the 150's as a center ?? Further, how would a center affect "the two lower corners of the TV ?" :confused: :confused: :confused:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I just read it wrong. Too bad, though- that was a cool mental picture, a gigantic pair of speakers sittin' on your TV! :p

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Rob Babcock said:
I just read it wrong. Too bad, though- that was a cool mental picture, a gigantic pair of speakers sittin' on your TV! :p
even more so since the biggest TV you could get when the 150's came out was a 27 incher !! :D

T

tncn

Audiophyte
I wondering if the sound could cause the convergence to go off, like moving the tv around would.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis