Will my projector work well with a 135" screen?

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
Right now I have a 120" screen and the picture is great.... I want to go bigger, can my Mitsubishi HC1500 handle 135" and still look good? It says it can do 240" but I highly doubt it can come close to that and look good doing it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
How does the 120" look right now? Would you want it a bit brighter, a bit dimmer, or is perfect?

The 135" would be a 26.5% increase in surface area, as a point of reference.

If you wouldn't mind that your present screen was brighter, AND you want to go bigger, I would check out DaLite High Power screens for an affordable solution. I just posted recently about it.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
It is plenty bright right now... I even keep it on low lamp mode.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Yes, if have the the project is far enough from the screen and your not already maxed on the screen width of your projector.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It is plenty bright right now... I even keep it on low lamp mode.
Inertia, here is a link with more info of the screen I mentioned.

In all honesty, there is fear of being TOO bright in certain scenarios with this screen tech.

I just received my PJ mount, and while I won't install it for at least a week (waiting for other things), I really dig that the pipe is easily extendable/retractable. Because the way the HP is "retro-reflective", I can control the brightness to a certain extent simply by extending or retracting the pipe.

I just tried high lamp mode for the first time recently. It was too bright, for now, thought I wish my low lamp was just a tad bit brighter. I'm saying this where the difference between low and high is considerably less than it is with other PJ models/brands. I'm hoping the adjustable pipe gives me that fine tuning of brightness that I desire.

Another way to adjust brightness (specifically reduce) is with the use of ND (natural density) filters. Some PJs can easily accept them, whereas others don't AFAIK. (There might have to be some threaded thing around your lens????). If yours works with that, then there is less fear of going too bright with this sort of tech.

Good luck!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Right now I have a 120" screen and the picture is great.... I want to go bigger, can my Mitsubishi HC1500 handle 135" and still look good? It says it can do 240" but I highly doubt it can come close to that and look good doing it.
go to www.projectorcentral.com and use the calculator they have already setup for you.

If you look up your PJ you can see the recommended lighting and whether your PJ can handle it. :cool:

Q

quicke60

Audioholic Intern
A small increase from 120" to 135" is definitely not going to affect your image quality much if you're happy with what you have now....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
A small increase from 120" to 135" is definitely not going to affect your image quality much if you're happy with what you have now....
I suggest you check the thread date. if it's over a month old the issue is resolved usually.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis