Will denon avr-x6700h pair well with SVS Prime tower surround sound system?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you are spending that kinda of money on a avr for the Prime series, you throwing money away. Get the 3600/3700 or the 4500. The buy a sub.

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
I shall definitely buy the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
Need to chose the sub though...

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
My tv is in the loft. Drywall on 3 sides. The fourth side is open . Goes all the way to the stairs. The stairs go down to the great room. Kitchen is attached to the great room. I just want the sub to be effective where we sit and watch.

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
The AVR is a one time buy. I may add speakers in the future. Or move to a different room and add more speakers. Also more power. So I opted for the 6700h

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The AVR is a one time buy. I may add speakers in the future. Or move to a different room and add more speakers. Also more power. So I opted for the 6700h

The AVR's mentioned will do great and save you money now. In the future if you Upgrade speakers and need more Power you could add an External Amp for that. That would also give you More Power going that way

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
What is your view of the sensitivity ratings of the Prime speakers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What is your view of the sensitivity ratings of the Prime speakers?

Most any mid level avr can drive them. The 3700/3600 has good power and a full 11 channels of output if you ever need a larger, say, 250WPC amp.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That should save you over $1000 bucks.

Could possibly step up to the Ultras :)

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
When I upgrade my front towers , if I use the existing front prime towers as Surround left and right , would that be fine? The existing satellite speakers would be used as height channels for Atmos . Using large speakers for surrounds, what is the effect?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
When I upgrade my front towers , if I use the existing front prime towers as Surround left and right , would that be fine? The existing satellite speakers would be used as height channels for Atmos . Using large speakers for surrounds, what is the effect?
No effect other then Auduo Bliss

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
So if I use the towers for surrounds, the sound effects are superior to the satellite speakers.

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
Is the Denon avr-s9600h a mid level avr?

C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
Also what qualifies to be a mid level avr?

T

thebrieze

Junior Audioholic
Speakers make the most difference to the sound quality. They have a very long life (decades) and are harder to replace due to size and weight. AVR’s get outdated every few years, due to new standards and technology advances. I would put most of my money towards better speakers now - especially the front three speakers, and skimp on the AVR and surrounds.

I would spend most of my budget on the front three speakers and a decent sub right now. I like towers for the mains, but good bookshelves could work too. Note towers generally require much less power than bookshelves. Either get super cheap surrounds (even if from a different brand and not timbre matched) or skip the surrounds. Upgrade the surrounds at a later time as budget permits to align with the mains. Also add a second sub (for more even bass) at a later time.

Get something like a Denon 3600H/3700H for now, which is more than adequate for your needs. Add an external amp down the road for more power.

Unless you’re getting an exceptional deal on the SVS speakers, there are other speaker brands that I would look at. Salk, Ascend, KEF, Revel, Focal (9xx Series) are some good options to consider.

These options may be pricier than SVS, hence the suggestion to save money on the receiver and surrounds.

I really like Rythmik for the sub.

Last edited:
C

Coolravicool

Junior Audioholic
I got the SVS prime tower surround system for $1540/ plus taxes. No sub in the bundle.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis