Will Apple TV2 work with any HDMI projector?

W

wgscott

Enthusiast
Sorry for what is probably a basic question, but I can't seem to find an answer.

If I buy an HDMI-capable projector that can handle 720p, will I be able to project protected rented movies and TV shows via Apple TV2?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You should be able to, yes.

It will look like a digitally compressed POS compared to a quality HD satellite/FIOS feed... and especially compared to Blu-ray Disc.

But, it should work.

I say should because some projector manufacturers may not deliver as they are supposed to. None that I am specifically aware of though. I have had good luck in testing HDMI with all of the projectors I have used with Blu-ray Disc.

Worth saying that many of the cheapest, business class, projectors I have tried have looked absolutely terrible with video. They looked okay with data, but not with video.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I have two-I use one ATV2 with a JVC DLA-HD250 projector (with a Yamaha RX-A3000 in between) and the other with a Panasonic ST30 plasma (with a Denon 3808 receiver as the video switch), and both work perfectly with the HDMI output of the ATV2 and look pretty good for a 720p source (depending on the source material, of course). BTW, the HDMI output of my Mac Mini video server (some of which is 1080p resolution ripped Blu-ray media) also works well through the JVC projector HDMI connection (via the same receiver video switch).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You should be able to, yes.

It will look like a digitally compressed POS compared to a quality HD satellite/FIOS feed... and especially compared to Blu-ray Disc.

But, it should work.

I say should because some projector manufacturers may not deliver as they are supposed to. None that I am specifically aware of though. I have had good luck in testing HDMI with all of the projectors I have used with Blu-ray Disc.

Worth saying that many of the cheapest, business class, projectors I have tried have looked absolutely terrible with video. They looked okay with data, but not with video.
I don't notice the drop off that much. I understand that I'm practically blind without glasses, but still streaming tends to be good enough for my viewing pleasure. Yes I know the OTA looks better, but the offerings OTA tend to be terrible.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
In my experience, high quality H.264 720p content off the Apple TV will look better than many HD cable/satellite channels since they use a large amount of compression anyway. Of course, high quality 1080p content off your cable/satellite or Blu-ray disc should look great. But there's nothing inherently inferior about the 720p quality of the Apple TV or content you may be streaming through it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In my experience, high quality H.264 720p content off the Apple TV will look better than many HD cable/satellite channels since they use a large amount of compression anyway. Of course, high quality 1080p content off your cable/satellite or Blu-ray disc should look great. But there's nothing inherently inferior about the 720p quality of the Apple TV or content you may be streaming through it.
The quality of the content is everything. AppleTV can deliver decent quality, but a video stream at 4Mbs is a long way from the 20Mbs+ which Blu-ray typically delivers with the same H.264 codec.

Of course, on a smaller TV you may not care or notice the difference, and it depends on the video you are watching (or renting) for you to care at all.

I certainly have more than a few hours of HD television shows which have been downloaded and look alright. But, compared to my Fios feed for the same shows, they don't look as good.

This article does a decent job explaining it all:
iTunes HD videos low bitrate, include iPod-ready versions

The important thing to realize is that compression matters far more than resolution in this matter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis