Will a sealed subwoofer work for my music only space?

J

JMB

Audioholic Intern
Hello

I would like to add a subwoofer to my current 2 channel system. I have been trying to educate myself on this site/forum but wanted to ask about my specific circumstance.

This is for music only.

My current system is Monitor Audio Silver 300 towers with a Denon X3500H receiver. (Folks on this forum recommended the Denon 3500 over a separate integrated amp and streamer I was thinking about so that is what I bought. I am really happy with it, so thanks again!). Anyway, I am back for more advice.

The room is 15 x 13 x 7.5 but has a 5 foot opening in the rear and a 5 foot opening on the left side to rooms that are open to other rooms. Total open space is 36 x 26 x 7.5. There is only 1 listening position, and potential placements for the sub would be anywhwere from 8 to 10 feet away from the listening position.

My listening level is never more than around 85db (crudely measured with an IPhone SPL app).

My understanding from reading these forums is because of the open floor plan, this space calls for a Ported sub with an "Extreme" room rating.

I am wondering if I can get away with using a sealed sub as I just don't have the room for a large poretd sub like an HSU VTF or SVS PB Series. I could probably fit a SVS PC 2000 but would really like to get away with a smaller sealed sub if feasable. (Again from these forums, I know that sealed is not necessarily better for music, it is strictly a size issue)

So, since this is for music only, would something like an HSU ULS-15MK2 or SVS SB-3000 be worth adding, or would they just not be able to make much of a difference in that open space.

It seems from this review on Audioholics, that there wasn't a huge difference between the SB-3000 and PB-3000 when listening to music. (I don't listen to a lot of Pipe Organ music...) Also, with a smaller sub, I might be able to fit a matching second one in the future.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice you can give me on whether an HSU ULS15MK2 or SVS SB3000 or something similar is a worthwhile investment for my circumstances, and if so which one of those (or others) I should get. Budget is around $1000.00

Thanks for your help

John

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I think either of those two subs would make a huge difference regardless of total room volume. The total room volume is really more important for ULF (<20hz). Just think of being outdoors, infinite "room" volume yet you can hear bass frequencies from at least 30hz and up.

I have an 8" sub in a 2600 cubic ft room and it works great up to around the listening levels you're talking about. SVS makes it easy to hear for yourself with their risk free trial period. That and the SB3000 is a great sub for its size and the app and PEQ would help with getting it dialed into your system.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What types of music do you listen to? There are music types besides pipe organ music that gets down to very low frequencies.

Is there any option at all for near-field placement? I think that would be the best option for a sealed sub in your space. Barring that I'd recommend something like the SVS PC2000 for it's smaller footprint than other like performing subs.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
This is for music only.

The room is 15 x 13 x 7.5 but has a 5 foot opening in the rear and a 5 foot opening on the left side to rooms that are open to other rooms. There is only 1 listening position.

I am wondering if I can get away with using a sealed sub as I just don't have the room for a large poretd sub like an HSU VTF or SVS PB Series. HSU ULS-15MK2 or SVS SB-3000 be worth adding, or would they just not be able to make much of a difference in that open space.

Budget is around $1000.00

Thanks for your help

John
The ULS-15mk2 will improve the performance of your mains, but there will be potential for some dead spots...you will need some flexibility on placement.

Size...the sealed HSU ULS15 footprint is 18"x18"...the largest HSU VTF footprint is 18"x26"...my subs (VTF 3 MK5) the foot print is 17.25"x21.5".

My point here...if you can fit the ULS 15mk2, unless you have furniture covering nearly every inch of floor space, you can probably fit one of the VTF subs...The largest VTF sub is only 8" deeper than the sealed ULS 15", the next size down is 3/4" more narrow, and 3.5" deeper. Most of the size gain is in height from the ULS to the VTF.

J

JMB

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for your responses. To answer your questions, music is mostly classic rock, some classical, starting to explore jazz, etc. The only reason I mentioned organ music was because the review I linked to said it was one of the areas where he heard a significant difference between the ported and sealed 3000.

As far as the difference in size with the ported HSUs, the added height and depth does make a difference in placement choices and WAF. But you are right, I could fit one if I had to, (can it face sideways instead of forward?), but will one of those perform that much better for music than one of the smaller sealed subs?

I realize that going with a sealed sub for better aesthetics is a compromise, but in your opinion is it too much of a compromise sonically? (I guess only I can answer that, but still value any opinions) While a sealed sub is not the best solution, would it still be worth purchasing? Would the smaller HSU VTF2-mk5 be better than the ULS15-MK3. (The CEA numbers on the website seem pretty similar) Are the ported subs that much better for music?

Thanks again for your assistance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since subs are largely omnidirectional, you can turn the sub any which way you want, altho most wouldn't want the amp facing out into the room. They need some breathing room, but not a lot. If you don't need the efficiency for deep bass, a sealed can work just fine, particularly with multiples. Instead of thinking of the music vs movies type thing, think of spl capabilities at various frequencies and what your needs are in that area.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
For music only (or mostly) I prefer sealed and the ULS-15MK2 would be my choice (true, as that is what I have). It provides plenty of fill in the lower octaves and I have yet to run out of headroom - highly recommended!

J

JMB

Audioholic Intern
Is there any option at all for near-field placement? I think that would be the best option for a sealed sub in your space. Barring that I'd recommend something like the SVS PC2000 for it's smaller footprint than other like performing subs.
What is considered near-field? (Forgive my ignorance). I think I have one possible spot that would be about 4 feet away from listenting seat.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks everyone for your responses. To answer your questions, music is mostly classic rock, some classical, starting to explore jazz, etc. The only reason I mentioned organ music was because the review I linked to said it was one of the areas where he heard a significant difference between the ported and sealed 3000.

As far as the difference in size with the ported HSUs, the added height and depth does make a difference in placement choices and WAF. But you are right, I could fit one if I had to, (can it face sideways instead of forward?), but will one of those perform that much better for music than one of the smaller sealed subs?

I realize that going with a sealed sub for better aesthetics is a compromise, but in your opinion is it too much of a compromise sonically? (I guess only I can answer that, but still value any opinions) While a sealed sub is not the best solution, would it still be worth purchasing? Would the smaller HSU VTF2-mk5 be better than the ULS15-MK3. (The CEA numbers on the website seem pretty similar) Are the ported subs that much better for music?

Thanks again for your assistance.
For music, the VTF-2 mk5 would not be better than the ULS-15 mk2. The VTF-2 would have a small advantage in deep bass, but the kind of music that you listen to doesn't have any deep bass. The vast majority of bass in music occurs 40 Hz and above. In that range, the ULS-15 has about double the headroom of the VTF-2. The CEA-2010 numbers are not similar. One thing that should be asked is how loud to you like to listen? If you don't need blazing loudness, the VTF-2 might have all the headroom you could want in music ranges. It should also be said that the VTF-3 and VTF15h do not have much of a headroom advantage over the ULS-15 in music ranges.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello

I would like to add a subwoofer to my current 2 channel system. I have been trying to educate myself on this site/forum but wanted to ask about my specific circumstance.

This is for music only.

My current system is Monitor Audio Silver 300 towers with a Denon X3500H receiver. (Folks on this forum recommended the Denon 3500 over a separate integrated amp and streamer I was thinking about so that is what I bought. I am really happy with it, so thanks again!). Anyway, I am back for more advice.

The room is 15 x 13 x 7.5 but has a 5 foot opening in the rear and a 5 foot opening on the left side to rooms that are open to other rooms. Total open space is 36 x 26 x 7.5. There is only 1 listening position, and potential placements for the sub would be anywhwere from 8 to 10 feet away from the listening position.

My listening level is never more than around 85db (crudely measured with an IPhone SPL app).

My understanding from reading these forums is because of the open floor plan, this space calls for a Ported sub with an "Extreme" room rating.

I am wondering if I can get away with using a sealed sub as I just don't have the room for a large poretd sub like an HSU VTF or SVS PB Series. I could probably fit a SVS PC 2000 but would really like to get away with a smaller sealed sub if feasable. (Again from these forums, I know that sealed is not necessarily better for music, it is strictly a size issue)

So, since this is for music only, would something like an HSU ULS-15MK2 or SVS SB-3000 be worth adding, or would they just not be able to make much of a difference in that open space.

It seems from this review on Audioholics, that there wasn't a huge difference between the SB-3000 and PB-3000 when listening to music. (I don't listen to a lot of Pipe Organ music...) Also, with a smaller sub, I might be able to fit a matching second one in the future.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice you can give me on whether an HSU ULS15MK2 or SVS SB3000 or something similar is a worthwhile investment for my circumstances, and if so which one of those (or others) I should get. Budget is around $1000.00

Thanks for your help

John
Do you like excessively strong bass? If not, there's no reason not to try using a sealed woofer, as long as the cabinet is designed correctly and the driver can reproduce low frequencies well. You won't get 18Hz, but if you learn how to use the room to help the low end, it should sound fine.

J

JMB

Audioholic Intern
For music, the VTF-2 mk5 would not be better than the ULS-15 mk2. The VTF-2 would have a small advantage in deep bass, but the kind of music that you listen to doesn't have any deep bass. The vast majority of bass in music occurs 40 Hz and above. In that range, the ULS-15 has about double the headroom of the VTF-2. The CEA-2010 numbers are not similar. One thing that should be asked is how loud to you like to listen? If you don't need blazing loudness, the VTF-2 might have all the headroom you could want in music ranges. It should also be said that the VTF-3 and VTF15h do not have much of a headroom advantage over the ULS-15 in music ranges.
Sitting about 10 feet from the towers, and measured with a free iphone spl app, the loudest I listen is 85db average. I guess the peaks could go a little louder. It is not very often I listen that loud (especially now with all household members having to stay home!). Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sitting about 10 feet from the towers, and measured with a free iphone spl app, the loudest I listen is 85db average. I guess the peaks could go a little louder. It is not very often I listen that loud (especially now with all household members having to stay home!). Thanks
If I were you I would go with one of the sealed subs, unless you see yourself using the sub for movie content someday.

J

JMB

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for your help. Just ordered an HSU ULS-15MK2. It happened to be on sale so I used the savings toward the extended warranty. When it arrives, I am sure I will need help setting it up!

Thanks again for everyones help!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis