Wii 2 to have Blu-ray drive and 1080p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rumor mill says:

The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.
- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.
- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.
- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.
- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=37744

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I'm gunna go ahead and call this rumor false. I just so sincerely doubt it. I think the next gen wii will have to have HD, but really I feel like that list was written by someone who was just trying to dream up their ideal next gen Nintendo counsel.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The only reason why I think it *might* have some truth to it would be because they want to get Netflix on it and since they are releasing the BD Live capability for this for the PS3, it would make sense to be able to do the same for the Wii - there was an article some time back saying that they would both (PS3 and Wii) would be getting it. Things like the tade in do seem a bit far-fetched though.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
I, for one, would be shocked. Nintendo's position this entire generation has been to give a bare-bones console-only solution that relied on innovation instead of computing power. If any thing, I think they'd be looking at a way to make the Wii even CHEAPER. The Wii has been all about gameplay and a low price-point at the expense of technological achievement; Blu-ray doesn't make sense.

That said, Nintendo HAS been milking the DS by releasing it in a new incarnation every 5 minutes, often adding features that are pointless. Perhaps they're going to follow that model instead?

The most suspicious part is that trade-in program. Nintendo specializes in fleecing their fanbase with new peripherals and the like. I sincerely doubt there will be any form of trade-in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis