Wifi Vs. Hard wired

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I have a Sony BDP-S570 BluRay player, connected via hdmi to the an onkyo 608 receiver.
The 570 has built in wifi, which is what I've been using to stream Pandora/Slacker. I've been reading that 'wired' is the way to go when available. I ran cat5 from my 2Wire modem/router to the 570. The connection was dropping every 10-20 minutes when wired. I set the wifi up again, and it's been running for the last 45 minutes with no drops.

Also, when I was using wifi, I could start streaming then shut off the tv and still had streaming. When wired, the tv and bluray came on at the same time and when I shut the tv off the bluray would shut off.

When I had this same cat5 hooked to my cable box (I'm running coax now) I had lip sync issues and channel response was slow.

Could the cat5 be bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Maybe , maybe not. How about you plug the Cat5e to a laptop or a desktop and stream something onto the laptop and check (make SURE your laptop/desktop is not using wireless to stream itself).

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, sounds like a bad cable.

If Wifi is working well for you, forget the cable.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Bad cable

Thanks for the replies! The cat5 was bad. I hooked up to my desktop and the had the same problem.

Wireless it is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis