Wifi Technique for multiple Streaming Devices

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Provding below to potentially help others optimize a multiple media streamer (i.e. Roku, Fire Stick) install.

AV SITUATION: 3k sq ft, 2-story, home with TVs in four rooms. Two TVs are upstairs and two downstairs, each with a Fire Stick providing content.
- Cut TV cable several years ago.
- Internet connection is Spectrum Standard (60-200 Mbps advertised).

WIFI SITUATION: Replaced older Linksys E4200 wifi router that struggled to cover entire house or provide decent video streaming with a newer TP-Link AC1750.
- TP-Link device has option to run two separate guest wifi networks (one 2.4GHz and one 5GHz) in addition to primary network. In my case, the router lives upstairs.
- As a refresher, 2.4GHz has lower data capacity, but better range and 5GHz has higher data capacity but poorer range.

WIFI TECHNIQUE: Connect each Fire Stick to one of the two guest networks, NOT the main network for three reasons.
1) Better security, FireSticks are no longer a potential entry point for malicious activity against important computers or files. All three networks have hidden SSIDs and are WPA2 password protected
2) Ability to assign (force) the Fire Stick to operate on the frequency band (e.g. 2.4 or 5 GHz) best suited to that TV's location.
3) Ability to better allocate wifi resources across available frequency bands.
- FYI, two guest networks have different SSIDs, but use same password for ease of use.

RESULTS:
A) TP-Link AC1750 was easy to set up, has an intuitive interface, and improved coverage/throughput all across the house.
- A five star rating in my book.
B) Based on signal strength and allocating resources as evenly as possible; the two upstairs TVs are on guest 5GHz network. The two downstairs (also furthest away) TVs are on guest 2.4GHz network.
C) Sling, Hulu, Amazon Video, YouTube and Disney+ apps all running faster, smoother, and clearer with no drops (thus far)!!

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Provding below to potentially help others optimize a multiple media streamer (i.e. Roku, Fire Stick) install.

AV SITUATION: 3k sq ft, 2-story, home with TVs in four rooms. Two TVs are upstairs and two downstairs, each with a Fire Stick providing content.
- Cut TV cable several years ago.
- Internet connection is Spectrum Standard (60-200 Mbps advertised).

WIFI SITUATION: Replaced older Linksys E4200 wifi router that struggled to cover entire house or provide decent video streaming with a newer TP-Link AC1750.
- TP-Link device has option to run two separate guest wifi networks (one 2.4GHz and one 5GHz) in addition to primary network. In my case, the router lives upstairs.
- As a refresher, 2.4GHz has lower data capacity, but better range and 5GHz has higher data capacity but poorer range.

WIFI TECHNIQUE: Connect each Fire Stick to one of the two guest networks, NOT the main network for three reasons.
1) Better security, FireSticks are no longer a potential entry point for malicious activity against important computers or files. All three networks have hidden SSIDs and are WPA2 password protected
2) Ability to assign (force) the Fire Stick to operate on the frequency band (e.g. 2.4 or 5 GHz) best suited to that TV's location.
3) Ability to better allocate wifi resources across available frequency bands.
- FYI, two guest networks have different SSIDs, but use same password for ease of use.

RESULTS:
A) TP-Link AC1750 was easy to set up, has an intuitive interface, and improved coverage/throughput all across the house.
- A five star rating in my book.
B) Based on signal strength and allocating resources as evenly as possible; the two upstairs TVs are on guest 5GHz network. The two downstairs (also furthest away) TVs are on guest 2.4GHz network.
C) Sling, Hulu, Amazon Video, YouTube and Disney+ apps all running faster, smoother, and clearer with no drops (thus far)!!

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Now I'm really glad the only sticks I have a ChromeCast ones in each of the three systems. Otherwise all of them are stick less. I have no trouble at all grabbing anything I want from anywhere fast.. I will for ever remain stick less! All those type units are just something I could never tolerate. Listening to the first night of the Proms now connected to BBC UK, and not a stack in sight. True bliss.

If you want good whole house Wi-Fi I can not recommend the Netgear Orbi Mesh system strongly enough.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm using the TP-Link AC1350 AP's with their Omada Virtual Controller making 802.11k (bss hand-off) smooth as silk. Running 3 in 2400sq foot at medium power with VHT-80 channel width. Hitting about 55MB/s with them. Very happy for $54 per.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis