WiFi in your car anybody?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I wanted to get some feedback from anybody using WiFi in a car so equipped. If using it, in what kind of car are you using it? What is your service provider? Is there any improvement in signal quality over simply using your Smart device's cell service?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I activated a free trial from AT&T last night to see how I like it. I can use the car as a hotspot and connect up to five devices. We’ll see how it goes.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone else been following the privacy and data collection issues within the auto industry? It's absolutely horrendous what they can get away with in North America. I wish we had stricter privacy laws like the EU. The video title is click-batey but Naomi Brockwell has some interesting videos on this topic. It's bad enough that I would seriously be wary of connecting any device to a modern car.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Changed name and password of WiFi and hid it. It is not functional when car and acc. are off. I'd bet anybody listening in on my car would tune out fairly quickly. I'm not that interesting.

I'll see how quickly I go through the trial data. I already prepaid for the first month of service at a discount and it will actually be charged at the point the trial data is used up or times out.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I don't see any advantage to using in car WiFi with a mobile phone unless the provider offers a cheaper data package. The one use that makes sense to me is for tablets, laptops and other devices without sim cards. Having WiFi in the car saves the trouble of having to turn mobile hotspots on and off on your cell. The tablet would connect automatically like in your home.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Right, I do have wifi only devices that I will be able to use with the car’s unlimited data wifi and not use up the limited hotspot data available in my phones. I don’t want to have to even think about usage amounts.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Right, I do have wifi only devices that I will be able to use with the car’s unlimited data wifi and not use up the limited hotspot data available in my phones. I don’t want to have to even think about usage amounts.
Yes, if it's unlimited data with the car then wifi makes sense.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My vehicle is too old to have wifi and where I live it wouldn't yield a lot of use as I'd be out of range a lot (majority of time easily). I get many hours of music by creating a good selection on a thumb drive. No security concerns at all :) Good luck, curious how it works out....what are the details of the trial package?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The trial is 4GB of data or 90 days, whichever gets used up first. I used it this afternoon with a couple of iPhones. Works beautifully. I had my iPhone connected to USB for CarPlay and turned ON SharePlay so that the other iPhone could act like the remote controller for Apple Music instead of using the car’s track pad to make selections.

With a press of a button on the steering wheel, I can also bring up Siri and tell it to play anything from Apple Music. If it isn’t downloaded to my iPhone library, it is simply streamed from the Apple Music service over the car’s WiFi. No hesitation, no buffering. It just worked.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The trial is 4GB of data or 90 days, whichever gets used up first. I used it this afternoon with a couple of iPhones. Works beautifully. I had my iPhone connected to USB for CarPlay and turned ON SharePlay so that the other iPhone could act like the remote controller for Apple Music instead of using the car’s track pad to make selections.

With a press of a button on the steering wheel, I can also bring up Siri and tell it to play anything from Apple Music. If it isn’t downloaded to my iPhone library, it is simply streamed from the Apple Music service over the car’s WiFi. No hesitation, no buffering. It just worked.
If you continue to use it how much will it cost? Audio only in your case? Sounds pretty good tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis