Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I just spent six hours with three remotes trying to get my video right. Wife is giving me the look.
When I purchased my tv I found a website RTING, The was a cheat sheet to set my tv. Is there something similar for receivers?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You mean you were trying to recover it after your wife got ahold of your remotes?

You should look at a universal remote, then program ONLY the features that you want her to access on the universal remote, keep the pack in remote locked away.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This?

Using somebody else's settings from a similar TV off AVS would be model specific and of use for filter settings etc but the real contrast, hue, and brightness numbers might not be completely suitable because of different TV, ambient lighting, air pressure ... okay, I made the last one up. :D

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks. I made some adjustments on the AVRX3500 that has cropped most of the movies. I realized the tv and the stereo can handle 4k2.2, so now the great channels look great but a lot of the movie channels crop the screen. She hates it!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Is the cropping different from before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
The tv probably have some modes that avoids the black bars but most prefer it with bars and looking as its supposed to at least after a little while to get used to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW no two displays will be identical in settings. Can get you started in the right direction and that's about as good as you can get without calibration .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The cropping might be in your source, too. Make sure to check all settings for video all thru the chain (do you even use the avr's video section?).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s frustrating. All the TVs in my home handle scaling differently. Make sure the denon is set to bypass or through or similar. Assuming you’ve done this, I guess you’ll have to find a setting that does what she wants. Does she prefer letterboxing or zoom?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I always prefer original format. That being said my KUROs have incredible scaling to fit to screen that I've never seen in another display

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
The cropping might be in your source, too. Make sure to check all settings for video all thru the chain (do you even use the avr's video section?).
Yes I use the AVR settings, I wish I had never touched it! I now a lot of purists like the the letterbox look, but I hate it.
I really want to leave the tv settings to the tv and only use the AVR for sound.
Should I change the connection back to a digital audio cable, and run the Direct tv through the tv via hdmi?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes I use the AVR settings, I wish I had never touched it! I now a lot of purists like the the letterbox look, but I hate it.
I really want to leave the tv settings to the tv and only use the AVR for sound.
Should I change the connection back to a digital audio cable, and run the Direct tv through the tv via hdmi?
No. Just make sure the video mode on the AVR is set to bypass, or through or whatever the name is that I can’t remember lol. Then set the tv to whatever auto fill is available and that you like. The thing I dislike the most is that zoom modes that get rid of letterboxing really destroy the resolution, and you can lose a lot of image overall. But I get it too, most people want to fill the screen since they paid for it, plus it makes the image smaller. And if you’re sitting at any kind of distance that can make a difference in immersion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't use my avr for video processing; if I had old legacy gear that needed upscaling then maybe it might be interesting. As William said, set it to not process the video (check your manual as I also don't remember if bypass/thru), and then look at the video processing settings for your D* box. With my Directv box I just use native video resolution settings. I wonder if by cropping you mean you're getting the actual resolution/format and simply don't like it (with side bars or top/bottom bars). I remember a friend's wife when they first got their first 16:9 tv (from old 4:3 set) she wanted the screen filled all the time, but after some time of getting used to it now use it in native format.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
No. Just make sure the video mode on the AVR is set to bypass, or through or whatever the name is that I can’t remember lol. Then set the tv to whatever auto fill is available and that you like. The thing I dislike the most is that zoom modes that get rid of letterboxing really destroy the resolution, and you can lose a lot of image overall. But I get it too, most people want to fill the screen since they paid for it, plus it makes the image smaller. And if you’re sitting at any kind of distance that can make a difference in immersion.
William, you are a mind reader!

I want every inch of my screen filled! So for DTV cropping the picture actually fills the screen.

I disconnected the television from the receiver, connected the audio with digital cable, and I got my tv back!

This is how my Onkyo was connected, I lose the osd, but the HT thing doesn’t work without a great picture.

I am wondering if I connect the tv to a different output (monitor 2) can I use that output for the osd, and then turn it off?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
William, you are a mind reader!

I want every inch of my screen filled! So for DTV cropping the picture actually fills the screen.

I disconnected the television from the receiver, connected the audio with digital cable, and I got my tv back!

This is how my Onkyo was connected, I lose the osd, but the HT thing doesn’t work without a great picture.

I am wondering if I connect the tv to a different output (monitor 2) can I use that output for the osd, and then turn it off?

Try... setup button.Output settings. Video conversion off. IP conversation off too. Fingers crossed....

M

m3incorp

Audioholic Intern
Are you using that Onkyo ASV 610 in your signature? If you are, that thing is from the mid 1990's if memory serves me right. If this isn't what you are using, what model receiver? As everyone has said, set it to pass-through the video and then let the TV and Direct TV handle how the picture shows on-screen.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Are you using that Onkyo ASV 610 in your signature? If you are, that thing is from the mid 1990's if memory serves me right. If this isn't what you are using, what model receiver? As everyone has said, set it to pass-through the video and then let the TV and Direct TV handle how the picture shows on-screen.
I use the 610 pro in my stereo only setup.
Moved on to an Integra 6.5 in the early 2,000’s.
I recently purchased a Denon 3500. Musically, it sounds smoother, quieter, but the base is not as tight as th Integra. Last Saturday ont he way out the wife and I both noticed the picture on our tv was not as clear.
I am tempted to return the Denon and just adding another subwoofer. The stereo only really sounds good in two modes. The 4 ohm setting improved the sound of my B&W speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis