Why won't anyone let me work for them?

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Join the military service. They will hire you right away even with no experience at all.;) You get paid while seeing other parts of the world.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah the Air Force with all their cool electronic gadgets, but there's one catch though.....boot camp, yikes! But its only 6 months, I think.:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Well I'll be damned!!!!!!!!Where did you find my picture? I actually piloted a pteradactyl-71 A. A slightly older version of Major's SR-71.

THAT'S IT!!! FORGET OSAMA, HILLARY, MC CAIN, RUDY AND THE REST, I VOTE MAZER FOR THE NEXT PRESIDENT.

Pheaton

Pheaton

Audioholic
Hi,
Seth I am sorry to hear about your situation. Have you thought about trying substitute teaching? You will have to check out what the requirements are in IN if there are statewide rules, or what the requirements are by school district. You may be able to get your name on several school district sub lists, increasing your chances of working everyday. Just an idea I thought might help in for the short term. Good luck and keep your head up. Hope you find something soon.

Pheaton

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
It's time to learn the art of "networking'. :cool:
He's right Seth,most of the time people who sell their self are the ones who get hired,take your lack of experience & turn it into a positive by telling employers of your willingness to learn from the ground up,explain that durring school you did not have time to work because you needed to concentrate all your time & effort into your degree but now that you have that degree your ready to shift your focus to a career.

Even if you get turned down go back every week & apply at the same places your interested in working at,badger the F--- out of them,fill out application after application,sooner than later some manager with a brain in his head is going to stop & think that hey,this kid wants to work badly.

I once hired a guy who would walk by my jobsite everyday & pester me for a job,he bugged me for weeks till i gave in & hired him,i fired him a few days later because he was a sea slug but still he got his foot in the door by being persistant.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!!! GIVE ME 100 PUSHUPS NOW, MISTER!!

Last edited by a moderator:
majorloser

majorloser

AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!!! GIVE ME 100 PUSHUPS NOW, MISTER!!
And what did you do to earn the Meritorious Service Medal w/ bronze star and the Joint Service Commendation Medal w/ bronze star?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

penpitt

Audioholic
Another job to consider would be merchandising. I work for a Frito Lay as a merchandiser and the job is pretty decent. The hours are early mornings with a start time of 4-5am but its nice getting off around noon. Other merchandising jobs could be with Coke,Pepsi, Nabisco and the beer vendors.Frito Lay is a commissioned job but I believe the others are hourly.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
What? You think getting that Pterodactyl back was easy? That bird costs big bucks, the Pentagon was very impressed how I chased it for days and brought it down with a nice rock between the eyes. Meh, after that fiasco Kelly Johnson re engineered it and it became the "Blackbird," but it wasn't as fun to fly.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
http://jobs.fortwayne.com/home/

DAILY PAY:
Telemarketers & Local Drivers w/own car. Call 11a-9p.
260-424-2944

Part time

Sales Associate.
Looking for mature individuals, 1 & 2 shifts. Drug test required. Send resume and avail. hrs.
Tanning Salon
P.O. Box 8946
Fort Wayne, IN 46896-8946

Great Opportunities! Starting pay range is from $7.00-$16.00 per hour. Leaders Staffing is looking to fill full time and part time positions

Machine & Mix Operators
Assembly &
General Labor
Industrial
Painters
Welders
Quality Control
Technician
Clerical If you have
experience in the related fields with a steady work history, shift flexibility, detail orientated and can works with minimal supervision.

Please apply at:
821 W. Washington Ctr. Rd.,
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
490-JOBS (5627)EOE

STARTIMMEDIATLY

We currently need to fill 15 positions in Cust. Service, Sales, Warehouse & Office. No Exp. Needed.
CALL TODAY:260-436-5011

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have any computer knowledge? I work for HP and we are always looking for more reps all over the country. It's mostly part-time but the pay is decent (don't know about your area but in TX the starter pay is $15/hour).

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Hang in there, Seth. I can offer at least one peice of advice: for most jobs interviews, try not to look desperate. It's easy to try to hard when you really need a job, but try for enthusiastic yet professional. Employers are looking for solid employees, someone trustworthy that seems like you can depend on them. Let them know point-blank that you're willling to work hard & that they won't regret giving you a shot.

Seems like there are jobs you could get with an AS, but if not there's always some type of work. As a chef I can tell you restaurants are always hiring. It may not be glamourous or high paying for entry level jobs, but it's work.

If it's not a sore subject, how did you get expelled? Would it be possible to enroll in another school to finish your program?

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
031 Infantry, HUA!.

Airborne! Ex Coelis!

Never finished high school myself. Never regretted it. I was told numerous times when I joined the Canadian forces that I scored high enough on the aptitude test that I could have enrolled officer if I had only completed high school. That said, I would never have done or accomplished the things I have in my career to this date were it not for the fact I took the blue collar job. I don't like people, and I really don't like offices, so I went infantry. I've done some pretty incredible things, including my time in the special forces community, and I can say for a fact that nothing was more rewarding then being a young man entrusted to teach, brief, and inform older, very well educated people on various topics and situations. Well, my time in Blackwater was quite the blast too.

Even if you are not interested in the military, which I suppose is understandable :D You can still soldier on. Take the great advice thats been offered here so far and put it to work for you. When you walk into a fast food joint, don't just hand the resume to some employee. Ask for the manager him/herself and put your resume in their hands. Don't loiter about, but be personal, enthusiastic, and very confident. Make them feel a bit bewildered by the encounter, as if you've imparted something of great value to them. Shortly enough, you'll get your call for your interview, and OJT.

Don't worry about shooting for the stars, you can't hurt them. You never know what you can land though when you give it an honest effort, do yourself the favor of not adding self-imposed limitations. You are in many ways, your own worst enemy and your greatest competition. If you hobble yourself before you really even start, how can you expect to succede?

The old lie:
Dulce est decorum est pro patria moria!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Join the military service. They will hire you right away even with no experience at all.;) You get paid while seeing other parts of the world.
I would agree with this, if it is something you think you could do. From reading this thread and the sounds of things - it may be just what it takes to kind of shake things up a bit in your life and allow them to re-settle in a better way.

It worked for me. Seth, reading your story was like a glimpse into my own past; I was horribly in debt, I had worked a string of odd jobs here and there that didn't amount to anything, and I ended up working the counter at a convenience store, waiting for the next robber to point a pistol in my face.

So I went for it. Two years later I was out of debt, and operating nuclear reactors on a Naval warship halfway around the world. I had an education and a vast knowledge of physics and electronics under my belt.

Boot camp isn't that bad either - it's meant to break those who need broken. As long as you buckle down, show some effort and do what they tell you to do, it's relatively painless.

But of course, it's merely an option - it's one that worked for me, it may not work for you. Either way man, I wish you the best and hope that something turns around for you soon. :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Boot camp isn't that bad either - it's meant to break those who need broken. As long as you buckle down, show some effort and do what they tell you to do, it's relatively painless.

You'll do fine Seth. Just don't eat any Jelly Donuts. :eek:

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Dude, I left school also But for me it was for the military. It not to late to get your GED and apply to community coll.
If you think its hard now wait a few years it will get much worse without a solid education.
I did alright. Nice house, family etc but it would have been alot easier to have just put in the time earlier and bit the bullet.

Good luck mate!!

majorloser

majorloser

Dude, I left school also But for me it was for the military. It not to late to get your GED and apply to community coll.
If you think its hard now wait a few years it will get much worse without a solid education.
I did alright. Nice house, family etc but it would have been alot easier to have just put in the time earlier and bit the bullet.

Good luck mate!!
He already has his associates and is working on the BA. Just needs to get his act together and buckle down.
Military service might just be the right kick in his butt, though. May even be able to get into OCS.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis