Why use the 5 analog outputs on a DVD players over the digital one?

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I just got a Rotel RSX 1055 (replaced my denon 1803 and man what a difference!) and I plan on buying the rotel 1060 DVD player. That player gives the option of using the digital output (obviously) but also lets you connect via 5 analog outputs. I notice that this option is only on higher end more expensive players. Is that becuase its a much better option to connect using the 5 analog outputs? Does it make a difference for 2 channel listening, 5 channel HT or both?

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
I thought you would use your 5 analog outs for SACD and DVD-A and then use your Digital out for movies. It is my understanding that SACD must come out the 5 analog out puts. But I could be wrong. (wouldn't be the first, won't be the last! :D )
I don't listen to SACD so my Denon 2910 is using the digital outs and the analog has nothing hooked to it.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Snap is correct about having to use the 5 analog outputs for SACD and DVD-A (except for a very few exceptions like Meridian).

The other reason would be if the D/A conversion is better in your DVD player than in your processor.

OR

If you're running a preamp that you can use an analog bypass and avoid another A/D ->D/A step.

I don't believe the Rotel RDV-1060 plays SACDs. The multichannel outputs are for listening to DVD-Audio discs. That is the only route the MLP audio will take out of the device.

For everything else, use the digital outputs.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Not entirely true, you can listed to the 96khz/24-bit MLP out SPDIF, just not the higher quality tracks :)

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
And doesn't DVD-A/SACD also travel along an i-link/d-link interconnect assuming you have both the amp and player with the appropriate jack (not necessarily only Meridian gear)?

Regards

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Vancouver said:
I just got a Rotel RSX 1055 (replaced my denon 1803 and man what a difference!) and I plan on buying the rotel 1060 DVD player. That player gives the option of using the digital output (obviously) but also lets you connect via 5 analog outputs. I notice that this option is only on higher end more expensive players. Is that becuase its a much better option to connect using the 5 analog outputs? Does it make a difference for 2 channel listening, 5 channel HT or both?
Like Clint said, use digital for pretty much everything, except the hi-res tracks. This option is most certainly not exclusive to "expensive" models either, as it can be found on $100 players also.

Denon and I think Pioneer and Sony have certain models that can pass DVD-A and SACD via digital connections, providing you have a player and receiver model that both support the connection type.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
My understanding of SACD & DVD-A is SACD is analog only, DVD-A can go digital (my 2200 allows for that).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DVD-A hires can be passed digitally at 96/24, but above that it cannot. As has already been said quite a few times, even SACD can be passed via digital as long as you have a player AND receiver that both use a SPECIAL digital connection, such as Firewire, i-link, denon-link, etc...

If you have the 2200 set to Video priority for DVD-A, you aren't accessing the DVD-A tracks on the DVD-A discs. The DVD-V content on DVD-A discs can be played by any dvd player.

S

scorrpio

Enthusiast
My understanding is that this has to do with bandwidth of S/PDIF connection. I heard that HDMI connection, however, provides the bandwidth needed...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Vancouver said:
In the late 1990's, many receivers and preamps were "Dolby Digital ready", which means that they have the 5.1 analog inputs, but not a Dolby Digital decoder. You would use the decoder in the DVD player if you had one of those old units. Also, some early Dolby Digital receivers and preamps were "DTS ready", meaning that they have the 5.1 analog inputs, but no built-in DTS decoder. You would use the DTS decoder in the DVD player (if it has one) for listening to DTS soundtracks.

If you have a new receiver or preamp, you would definitely NOT want to use a 5.1 analog hookup for Dolby Digital or DTS, as you would miss out on that center rear channel that is on a few DVDs. Also, if your receiver or preamp applies ANY digital processing, you would want to use the digital input on the receiver or preamp to avoid converting the digital audio on the DVD to analog to send to the receiver only to be converted back to digital for processing. These extra steps may not audibly degrade the sound, but they will not help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis