Why not external EQ / Crossovers for HT or Stereo?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They are active crossovers.
The dbx driverack are crossovers with Parametric EQ built in.

I think that’s what the OP is thinking of. Not just simple Graphic EQ.

But as everyone is saying, you cannot just use a simple graphic EQ as active crossovers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I think he means crossovers that have EQ functionality.

Others have used minDSP crossovers with Dirac Room EQ.
He cited just a graphic eq in the OP....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
He cited just a graphic eq in the OP....
Yeah. Definitely can’t use a plain GEQ as an active XO. Just trying to figure out why the OP thought that.

Maybe the saw others using something like the dbx XO+PEQ (which might look like a plain EQ) and thought it was okay to use a plain EQ? :D

Hattrick17

Hattrick17

Junior Audioholic
Post up some links.
They are active crossovers.
For those who don't think a Cross over/EQ is stupid. Here you go. "While a digital crossover is more perfect, you don't get the instant variability to adjust things as you have here." Amir concluding statement. There is a place for the use of these in home systems if you like to tinker you can get amazing results. Especially with DIY speaker systems.

Hattrick17

Hattrick17

Junior Audioholic
You're the one with the statement, you search. Sounds like you misunderstood or was nonsense.
Neither. I am not here to argue with anyone. If your pleasure is to contest with no supporting evidence why bother replying? I made a few adjustments to the OP and have added Crossovers in the OP which I should have included as well.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think Hattrick17 fully understands the difference between digital equalizers and digital crossovers. To be fair, he isn't the only one. Most equalizer filters cannot substitute for crossover filters. There may be an exception. (Let's ignore those old graphic equalizers, as they allow a user to introduce more problems than they solve.)

In post #2 of this thread, Verdinut said the same thing.
I've only seen one commercial loudspeaker designed with an internal active digital crossover. It was a 2-way speaker where the active crossover divided the pre-amp level audio signal and sent it to two separate internal amps, one for the woofer and one for the tweeter.
Importantly, the manufacturer kept the digital crossover and equalizer circuits separate. The owner could access & alter the equalizer, but the crossover settings were locked & inaccessible. If owners were allowed to twiddle with the crossover settings, they could easily damage or destroy the tweeter and void the warranty. No commercial maker would risk that.

There are active crossover/power units sold for DIY builders. Unless they know what they're doing, they can also destroy tweeters and void their warranties too.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For those who don't think a Cross over/EQ is stupid. Here you go. "While a digital crossover is more perfect, you don't get the instant variability to adjust things as you have here." Amir concluding statement. There is a place for the use of these in home systems if you like to tinker you can get amazing results. Especially with DIY speaker systems.
What is the gear Amir is commenting on? I looked at your OP and it still only cites the graphic eq rather than a crossover.

Hattrick17

Hattrick17

Junior Audioholic
I don't think Hattrick17 fully understands the difference between digital equalizers and digital crossovers. To be fair, he isn't the only one. Most equalizer filters cannot substitute for crossover filters. There may be an exception. (Let's ignore those old graphic equalizers, as they allow a user to introduce more problems than they solve.)

In post #2 of this thread, Verdinut said the same thing.
I've only seen one commercial loudspeaker designed with an internal active digital crossover. It was a 2-way speaker where the active crossover divided the pre-amp level audio signal and sent it to two separate internal amps, one for the woofer and one for the tweeter.
Importantly, the manufacturer kept the digital crossover and equalizer circuits separate. The owner could access & alter the equalizer, but the crossover settings were locked & inaccessible. If owners were allowed to twiddle with the crossover settings, they could easily damage or destroy the tweeter and void the warranty. No commercial maker would risk that.

There are active crossover/power units sold for DIY builders. Unless they know what they're doing, they can also destroy tweeters and void their warranties too.

Actually I know exactly the difference. I have worked in both pro sound reinforcement and have a home 32 track home recording studio with vocal booth and tracking rooms. I apologize I didn't acknowledge my credentials from the beginning begining. The bottom line is yes, one can use electronic crossovers for speakers verse's passive networks and they do a fantastic job if you know how to use them. Two yes, one can use EQ parametric or graphic to correct room frequency issues per feedback and other hot frequencies reflective points in any room including outdoors. Thanks for the responses. I will be taking down this thread shortly.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It was a question to understand if there is alternatives that would provide a possible better solution to Room Corrections software. Not a cockamamie Idea. Geeeze...
"EQ" and "RC" are quite different, to quote wiki as below.

EQ:
Equalization (audio) - Wikipedia
Equalization
, or simply EQ, in sound recording and reproduction is the process of adjusting the volume of different frequency bands within an audio signal. The circuit or equipment used to achieve this is called an equalizer.[1][2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_(audio)#cite_note-The_Audio_Dictionary-2

DRC (RC are usually done in the digital domain)
Digital room correction - Wikipedia
Digital room correction
(or DRC) is a process in the field of acoustics where digital filters designed to ameliorate unfavorable effects of a room's acoustics are applied to the input of a sound reproduction system. Modern room correction systems produce substantial improvements in the time domain and frequency domain response of the sound reproduction system.
So I think your questions have been answered by many here, two pages so far. Of course you can do what you are suggesting, but the results will be different as they are, again, for different purposes (though related, even they might overlap in a very narrow sense).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have seen it done though where a cross over for tweeters has everything rolled off outside its capabilities.
That method doesn't mean it's the right way- graphic equalizers with sliders cause a lot of phase shift and that's bad for the sound. Also, many users don't understand the relationship between dB and power, so they jack up the sliders in the ranges where they think it's needed, just because they can't initially hear a difference. This results in a lot of damaged speakers and it usually comes with "Why didn't they tell me this could happen?".

The only crossover that rolls off frequencies above and below is called a 'bandpass' filter- woofers have a Low Pass filter in most cases, although good arguments can be made to use a high pass in the 16Hz range, just to be safe. In bass guitar rigs, it's not uncommon to see a High Pass filter at 35Hz because it's easy to produce frequencies that WILL damage the speakers.

Too many people think that making a 'Happy Face' with the sliders (mechanical or electronic) sounds good, but they're missing the point of an equalizer- it's to literally equalize the energy in the frequency bands, not make a bass-head happy.

highfigh

highfigh

Found most on YouTube Enjoy the search.
If you want help and answers, don't make people search for what you saw or do YOUR work. You asked, we're trying to help but if you're going to blow people off just because you don't like their answers, go somewhere else.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Actually I know exactly the difference. I have worked in both pro sound reinforcement and have a home 32 track home recording studio with vocal booth and tracking rooms. I apologize I didn't acknowledge my credentials from the beginning begining. The bottom line is yes, one can use electronic crossovers for speakers verse's passive networks and they do a fantastic job if you know how to use them. Two yes, one can use EQ parametric or graphic to correct room frequency issues per feedback and other hot frequencies reflective points in any room including outdoors. Thanks for the responses. I will be taking down this thread shortly.
Well I sure would not hire you for a gig, and certainly would not do any part of a production in that studio!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I think your questions have been answered by many here…
I think my answer was the best and also nicest answer of all: “Yes, you can use external EQ/XO for HT or stereo”. :D

highfigh

highfigh

For which idea?

Using External XO for speakers? Using External EQ?

Or for thinking about buying anything from Behringer (which I would never do either)? :D
I have actually used that equalizer a few times and they're all still in operation- they work fine, although I probably wouldn't use one in a HiFi or HT application. Knowing that their stuff usually "works until it doesn't", one is 14 years old and going strong.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis