why marketing guys should not write audio marketing...

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
from this thread:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/KEF3000SeriesSpeakers.php

quote 1: Each of the 3000 series satellite and center channel speakers feature KEF’s signature Uni-Q® driver array. This is the only configuration that uses a tweeter mounted at the acoustic center of the bass/midrange cone to create a single-point source for an exceptional broad frequency range.

this would be like a $ 14 Pioneer co-ax car speaker ??

quote 2: The system, comprised of 4 satellites, 1 center channel, and 1 subwoofer, will retail at an MSRP of $1,500 a pair.

nice work, Madison Avenue.....

Last edited by a moderator:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Leprkon said:
from this thread:

quote 1: Each of the 3000 series satellite and center channel speakers feature KEF’s signature Uni-Q® driver array. This is the only configuration that uses a tweeter mounted at the acoustic center of the bass/midrange cone to create a single-point source for an exceptional broad frequency range.

quote 2: The system, comprised of 4 satellites, 1 center channel, and 1 subwoofer, will retail at an MSRP of $1,500 a pair.

Almost looks like the "tweeter" is a cone attached to the center of the other driver.

nav

nav

Audioholic
They have some pretty pictures of "Uni-Q" concentric tweeter technology on their webpage.

My home theater uses KEF Q speakers all around (except the sub, their subs are awful for the price). They remind me a bit of Paradigm as slightly bright but with less bass (at least compared to the Monitor and Studio series) and slightly more accentuated and, well, different mids. Their sound dispersion in a room is much different but I can't describe it accurately. The super high end speakers from KEF are extremely expensive (more than they're worth, in my opinion) but many seem to find them perfectly suited to their tastes (the bass is much better, but I haven't compared them side-by-side for more differences). I can't say I have ever liked their mini-speaker packages in the past though (not bad but not great for the price) -- not to say anything about this series as I have not even seen a set.

Other companies, such as Thiel with their CS 2.4 use concentric tweeters. But Thiel's design is much more interesting as it attempts to create a "mechanical crossover" (for lack of better marketing-speak) with how the two drivers share certain parts. I have not found anywhere that I can listen to Thiel speakers in Denver, so I can't vouch for how good/bad/whatever they sound.

Last edited:
M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
This was done by Advent as well, back when they made car speakers.

I used to have two pairs of their 5-1/4" co-axials of this design.

Not bad speakers at all.

Those KEFs need some cosmetic tweaks though...at least black out the tweeters...as they are now, they look like they have $5/ea "road gear" (x-mart brand) dual-cone speakers in them. Not trying to diss on them, but that is what those woofers scream to me when I look at them :(

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I wasn't slamming the speakers at all, which I have personally never heard... just what they wrote about the speakers, which makes the company sound like idiots....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This isn't new technology by any means. All cheap stock car sound systems use this style driver.

I hate these designs. When the woofer starts moving to create bass, the tweeter moves with it, cause this wavy sound in the treble. It's like running headphones on a sine wave, then playing treble through them.

SheepStar

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The old Jensen and Pioneer 6x9's used to call those "whizzer" cones.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
A coaxial speaker can be done well though it is apparently rather difficult. Two highly regarded speaker makers that I know of use them for surround speakers because they tend to act as point sources. They are Vandersteen and Thiel and they ain't for cars. Add a sub and my VSM-1s act as a pretty good pair of front speakers for music.

swicken

Audiophyte
Leprkon said:
from this thread:

On a $14 pioneer co-ax car speaker the tweeter would be an entirely seperate entity from the driver. And besides that, the drivers probably painted on :p

On a Kef Uni-Q speaker the tweeters magnet exists within the magnet for the driver and thus has the same starting point for sound.

Theres a HUGE difference.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
swicken said:
On a $14 pioneer co-ax car speaker the tweeter would be an entirely seperate entity from the driver. And besides that, the drivers probably painted on :p

On a Kef Uni-Q speaker the tweeters magnet exists within the magnet for the driver and thus has the same starting point for sound.

Theres a HUGE difference.
you make my point for me.... the marketing guys at KEF are MAKING their products sound like a cheap piece of trash, whether it is or not...

THIS is marketing: Hi, welcome to Hell. With all our heat, you'll never have ANY problem with your arthritis !!!

this is NOT marketing: hey, come buy our speakers that we will describe to you as co-ax and where a whole system costs you X bucks a pair.....:rolleyes:

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
It's not a whizzer cone..it's an actual tweeter.

Thus why I compared it to the old advent coaxials...since those had the exact same mounting concept, just did not use any type of waveguide.

Sadly I am having a hard time finding anything on them, let alone a picture....would have been a great addition to this thread, just to show how this concept has changed over a decade.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis