Why mainstream brand subs so wimpy ?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Look at the Polk it says it all .

I’m not talking about classic sub brands like svs hsu , Dayton ️but brands like Polk , Sony , klipsch etc .. jbl

Looks like a woofer not a sub/woofer .

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The mainstream sub brands make subs that people are willing to buy. The companies that make large subs are niche brands by comparison. The large manufacturers outsell them by a wide margin. Few people are willing to tolerate a large subs that takes up a lot of space, is an eyesore, and also bothers the neighbors when in use.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Price. Plain and simple. In order for a large company to make a good profit, the cheaper they make them the more profit they can derive. They also know the average consumer 1) doesn't know any better and 2) they will accept "just OK" because of #1.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The photo of the Polk is meaningless as well....the appearance wouldn't tell you how good a driver it is or whether its well designed. Mainstream seems to mean mainstream speaker companies that never particularly specialized in subs, and then only in certain size/price points for their style of distribution.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Price. Plain and simple. In order for a large company to make a good profit, the cheaper they make them the more profit they can derive. They also know the average consumer 1) doesn't know any better and 2) they will accept "just OK" because of #1.
And it’s easy to make #2....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I believe Martin Logan and Paradigm both have made some pretty decent subs, however they are definitely overpriced compared to internet direct options.

Question! Is Velodyne even making subs anymore?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Velodyne last I looked not all that long ago still offered subs, but don't see that now, but I did read fairly recently the company changed hands, too so maybe it's in transition?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Velodyne no longer makes subs as far as I know. They've switched to another business, something that is very active here in Silicon Valley - self driving car technology.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Velodyne no longer makes subs as far as I know. They've switched to another business, something that is very active here in Silicon Valley - self driving car technology.

All may not be lost! I'm pretty happy about this (maybe it is old[er] age and nostalgia) as Velodyne was, for a while, the name in subwoofers. They also made my all-time favorite fun IEMs, the vPulse.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I believe Martin Logan and Paradigm both have made some pretty decent subs, however they are definitely overpriced compared to internet direct options.

Question! Is Velodyne even making subs anymore?
My stereo integrity from like 6 years ago can rattle the whole upstairs I never run it that loud because it adds distortion and hurts my ears . None of these subs from mainstream brand hold Candle except online brand like svs , hsu and sadly veloydine is gone forever like the dinosaurs . I never even got to own one !

The little jamo sub I got recently is pretty powerful though but no chance vs the 15”.

Monoprice makes some subs similar in power to mine also , plus tons of online only brands and some on parts express.
Never got to own a maelstrom 21” but I wanted one .
Reptilians invadin in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I have a couple of friends who own SVS Ultra subs and one friend who owns a Paradigm Prestige 2000 that he pairs with his Prestige towers. I would put his Paradigm up against the SVS any day. It performs equally well and aesthetically looks waaaay better. I have found the higher price usually comes with upgraded aesthetics (ie. Material/Finishes).

Anyway, there is no reason to think a pair of those Polks wouldn’t get the job done in a small room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a couple of friends who own SVS Ultra subs and one friend who owns a Paradigm Prestige 2000 that he pairs with his Prestige towers. I would put his Paradigm up against the SVS any day. It performs equally well and aesthetically looks waaaay better. I have found the higher price usually comes with upgraded aesthetics (ie. Material/Finishes).

Anyway, there is no reason to think a pair of those Polks wouldn’t get the job done in a small room.
While Paradigm does have some good subs, I wouldn't put them in the same conversation as anything from Polk.....

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Some of the mainstream speaker makes have definitely closed the gap with the ID makes. Klipsch, Martin Logan, Def Tech, Paradigm. The Polk HTS series isn’t bad for what it does either. I have a Jamo 10” that is plenty for my small exercise room.
It all depends on your goals, and expectations.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some of the mainstream speaker makes have definitely closed the gap with the ID makes. Klipsch, Martin Logan, Def Tech, Paradigm. The Polk HTS series isn’t bad for what it does either. I have a Jamo 10” that is plenty for my small exercise room.
I do hope they all raise their game, it's not that hard and if they had done so from the beginning they may have made the whole DIY/ID thing not possible.....but that's corporate decision making for the most part.

ps I do wonder if they understood the attraction of lower bass capabilities at all.....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I would not say that Def Tech has closed the gap with ID sub makers at all. I own a SC2000 and it is vastly overrated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would not say that Def Tech has closed the gap with ID sub makers at all. I own a SC2000 and it is vastly overrated.
Maybe if DT was more honest about low end specs so we'd include them in a particular comparison or not to begin with....but they are not forthcoming on this point.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe if DT was more honest about low end specs so we'd include them in a particular comparison or not to begin with....but they are not forthcoming on this point.
I'm sorry, I was wrong, I have an SC4000, not an SC2000. It's attached to my desktop PC right now. Though I've considered selling it and picking up an RSL Speedwoofer 10s to replace it.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
While Paradigm does have some good subs, I wouldn't put them in the same conversation as anything from Polk.....
I agree. I meant to cite the comparison between Paradigm and SVS, not Polk. My opinion about the Polk sub was that in the right conditions, a pair of them may be all you would need.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I’ve had experience with many of the super cube models, and while their stated specs are quite hogwash I knew that before hand, because physics. I found they did better than I expected, especially for their size.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. I meant to cite the comparison between Paradigm and SVS, not Polk. My opinion about the Polk sub was that in the right conditions, a pair of them may be all you would need.
I’ve had Polk subs, no way near subs from the higher end guys. I still have one Polk Sub over 5 years old still going strong, good “Fillend” sub. Will it Rattle your floors no, is it a great sub no. But set right it does a good job.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis