Why isnt my audio working??

H

Harryoh

Audiophyte
I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to home theatre. I have a Rotel RX 1052 receiver and a new Vizio M series 4K TV. My old Samsung TV had only a mini audio out, so I used a cord with mini jack at one end and rca jacks at the other end to input into my receiver. Not ideal but did the job. The new TV has dedicated 2 channel audio + video rca out puts so I used 3 jack cord to connect it to my receiver but got no sound, so I tried connecting my cable box to the receiver the same way but still no sound. ( CD player and FM receiver work fine) I've never used an rca video cord or used the receiver for video control and that connection is redundant because all sources are connected to the screen directly via HDMI. What is wrong with my setup??
Any help very much appreciated!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Are you sure the 3 RCA (LR+video) is an output and not an input, seems very strange that they would do a video output from a TV?

If it is an output you might have to setup the TV to run sound out to that output.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to home theatre. I have a Rotel RX 1052 receiver and a new Vizio M series 4K TV. My old Samsung TV had only a mini audio out, so I used a cord with mini jack at one end and rca jacks at the other end to input into my receiver. Not ideal but did the job. The new TV has dedicated 2 channel audio + video rca out puts so I used 3 jack cord to connect it to my receiver but got no sound, so I tried connecting my cable box to the receiver the same way but still no sound. ( CD player and FM receiver work fine) I've never used an rca video cord or used the receiver for video control and that connection is redundant because all sources are connected to the screen directly via HDMI. What is wrong with my setup??
Any help very much appreciated!
Some cable boxes might not output both digital and analog at the same time FWIW.

Did you go into the vizio and change the audio settings to external speakers or what every their term is?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Are you sure the 3 RCA (LR+video) is an output and not an input, seems very strange that they would do a video output from a TV?

If it is an output you might have to setup the TV to run sound out to that output.

That's what I just noticed, he is using the input not the output

Also it's time toupdaye town AVR with HDMI.

H

Harryoh

Audiophyte

I feel like twit. Of course they were inputs on the TV. I'd forgotten about the separate rca audio outs. Thanks!

H

Harryoh

Audiophyte
I feel like twit. Of course they were inputs on the TV. I'd forgotten about the separate rca audio outs. Thanks!
It's a new TV like I said, and since I'd never used rca video before I didnt stop to think an video out put made no sense and the inputs are much more prominent than the audio out. But duh anyway. And thanks again

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is rare these days to find televisions that have analog audio outputs on them. You will likely be very hard pressed to get audio from your TV into the receiver unless the owner's manual specifically states that it has analog audio output. It is more likely that the TV has a optical audio output. This is a common connection these days for sound bars and for connecting to surround sound systems.

While your Rotel is a solid piece of gear to listen to analog stereo audio, it is the wrong product to be using in a audiovisual setup.

Your easiest option would be to see if your TV does have analog audio output (unlikely), and then use that.
If it does not, and you aren't ready for a new A/V receiver, then use the optical audio output from the TV and run it into a digital to analog audio converter...
Use this cable from the TV to the converter:
Then a set of red/white RCA cables to take audio to one of the inputs on your Rotel.

If your cable box is the only thing you need to get audio from, then you could run analog audio (red/white RCA connection) from the back of your cable box into a set of inputs on the back of the Rotel. You will want to be sure volume is turned up on the cable box to properly feed quality audio into your Rotel if doing this.

H

Harryoh

Audiophyte
It is rare these days to find televisions that have analog audio outputs on them. You will likely be very hard pressed to get audio from your TV into the receiver unless the owner's manual specifically states that it has analog audio output. It is more likely that the TV has a optical audio output. This is a common connection these days for sound bars and for connecting to surround sound systems.

While your Rotel is a solid piece of gear to listen to analog stereo audio, it is the wrong product to be using in a audiovisual setup.

Your easiest option would be to see if your TV does have analog audio output (unlikely), and then use that.
If it does not, and you aren't ready for a new A/V receiver, then use the optical audio output from the TV and run it into a digital to analog audio converter...
Use this cable from the TV to the converter:
Then a set of red/white RCA cables to take audio to one of the inputs on your Rotel.

If your cable box is the only thing you need to get audio from, then you could run analog audio (red/white RCA connection) from the back of your cable box into a set of inputs on the back of the Rotel. You will want to be sure volume is turned up on the cable box to properly feed quality audio into your Rotel if doing this.
Hi and thanks, but my new Vizio tv is a rarity in that it has old fashioned analog RCA audio outputs. It does also have optical audio out. I know about converter because I was looking at some TVs that only had the optical outs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis