Why is Audyssey causing a massive 50hz null?

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
I'm seeing a huge 50hz null post correction. The purple line is after running correction. Would love to get some ideas of why this might be occurring.
subs.jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I'm not mistaken, Audyssey assumes that you have crappy speakers and it is "fixing" this common design problem. The solution is to use Audyssey flat curve.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
If I'm not mistaken, Audyssey assumes that you have crappy speakers and it is "fixing" this common design problem. The solution is to use Audyssey flat curve.
I’ll give this a try later and re-run the measurements. I have a pair of SVS SB 3000s and Audiophysic Classic 30s as my mains. Room is well treated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm seeing a huge 50hz null post correction. The purple line is after running correction. Would love to get some ideas of why this might be occurring.
View attachment 49865
It's difficult to really say, but I'd guess it's trying to choose a lesser of evils. Sometimes adjustments made to "fix" a frequency band will have deleterious effects on other frequencies up or downstream from the adjusted band. You can fix one spot but the solution might create problems in another, or just push a null up or down the frequency band.

It's tricky business, eq'ing and quite often less is more depending on room modes, speaker placement, etc. Audyssey does a really good job for me, but I can definitely improve on it with a few manual tweaks after measuring.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That down spike at 50 hz does look like an improvement vs no correction and is likely not even audible. I'll bet it disappears with some minor smoothing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That down spike at 50 hz does look like an improvement vs no correction and is likely not even audible. I'll bet it disappears with some minor smoothing.
Yeah, apply 1/12 smoothing to both of those sweeps and I'll bet the purple trace is actually an improvement.

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, apply 1/12 smoothing to both of those sweeps and I'll bet the purple trace is actually an improvement.
I just applied 1/12 smoothing and the change was dramatic

smoothing.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just applied 1/12 smoothing and the change was dramatic

View attachment 49866
Your dB scale for the vertical axis is way to wide. You should really have it between about 100 dB and 45 dB. There's no way to see what's going on at that resolution. Also, if bass is what you're focusing on you can adjust the horizontal axis to between 10 hz and 200 hz. Here's an example.

05-26-21.jpg

You can see a lot more detail with the higher resolution in this chart.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audyssey won't cause nulls as much as your room....

D

dvon1981

Audioholic Intern
Your dB scale for the vertical axis is way to wide. You should really have it between about 100 dB and 45 dB. There's no way to see what's going on at that resolution. Also, if bass is what you're focusing on you can adjust the horizontal axis to between 10 hz and 200 hz. Here's an example.

View attachment 49870

You can see a lot more detail with the higher resolution in this chart.
Ok so I went back today and did some more testing. Something funky is def going on with my Audyssey calibration. I decided to take a couple steps back and measure the subs alone with no Audyseey. Even if I remove the smoothing there is no null. I would say this is a pretty smooth curve (if I remove any smoothing it looks nearly identical) for no EQ or room correction of any kind and the dip seems to be driven by the crossover at 80hz.
1629984564366.png

I then added the mains back to the mix still with no Audyssey. The brown line is the new curve compared to prior graph. Def some funky stuff going around 80-90hz at the crossover point without any room correction.
1629984625708.png

Lastly I added back the current Audyssey correction. The teal line is now post Audyssey, brown is without so whatever it did is actually making pretty much everything worse, my takeaway at this point is I need to completely re-run Audyssey to see what the heck is going on.

1629984802686.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis