Why don't receivers come with wireless volume knobs?

dstein

dstein

Audiophyte
I've been wondering this for a long time. No home theater receiver I know of comes with a remote control that has a volume knob on it. The remotes only have volume buttons. Isn't a knob preferrable? Almost all cars always use knobs for the stereo presumably because it's quick and doesn't need to be looked at while driving. But this doesn't seem to be a concern for home theater equipment?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't want knobs, there's one on the avr if you must fondle a knob :) Never had a desire for a knob on a remote control. Ever.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I've been wondering this for a long time. No home theater receiver I know of comes with a remote control that has a volume knob on it. The remotes only have volume buttons. Isn't a knob preferrable? Almost all cars always use knobs for the stereo presumably because it's quick and doesn't need to be looked at while driving. But this doesn't seem to be a concern for home theater equipment?
I want the remote control with a big knob on it like a remote controlled car , brilliant idea !!! Make onkyo jump on board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Older IR remote control stereo receivers/amplifiers used a motorized potentiometer for the volume control... But as the products became more digital, with more added channels the volume level function was done by an IC chip controlled by a rotary, quadrature switch or up/down buttons....

Just my $0.02... ;)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
A knob would take up too much space on a remote and make it harder to use single handedly.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I guess you just found your $1 Million Idea.

Let us know when you have a product on the market :p

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah this is basically what I've been looking for. Do you own one? Is it just for their speakers? Would it control home theater receivers?
Nope - don't own one. The remote is for their Expert line of integrated amps:
MSRP from $6K to $35K! I do not believe it will control anything besides their own product...

dstein

dstein

Audiophyte
Let us know when you have a product on the market
I actually do think it's a good idea ;)
I'm trying to understand why this hasn't been done before. Do people not want volume knobs? Or is it a chicken and egg situation where they don't exist, so people don't even know they want them

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm trying to understand why this hasn't been done before. Do people not want volume knobs? Or is it a chicken and egg situation where they don't exist, so people don't even know they want them
I love volume knobs in cars. Don't care about them on remotes at home.

dstein

dstein

Audiophyte
I love volume knobs in cars. Don't care about them on remotes at home.
Some people do though. Devialet makes them, and there are some for Sonos. But there isn't a universal one, and none for home theaters like how there are universal remotes (Logitech Harmony).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
AKA, a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Seriously though, what difference does it make? A button? A knob? They both control your volume...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
AKA, a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Seriously though, what difference does it make? A button? A knob? They both control your volume...
I really think it just comes down to space, most AVR remotes are pretty packed with buttons. A knob, in order to be usable, is just going to take up a lot more space than volume up-down buttons do.

Some people do though. Devialet makes them, and there are some for Sonos. But there isn't a universal one, and none for home theaters like how there are universal remotes (Logitech Harmony).
Seems to me like a niche desire in an already niche market.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
It's a tactile thing. I've spun the volume knob on a Naim Uniti and it's REALLY nice...
1586371566459.png

dstein

dstein

Audiophyte
Seems to me like a niche desire in an already niche market.
Perhaps. But the market for the entire AV receiver industry has got to be a lot larger than the market for Devialet remotes for Devialet speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis