Why does my center channel sound harsh?

D

DanH12

Junior Audioholic
I had previously been using an older Sony str-de845 receiver with jbl sat10 speakers and about a year ago I noticed that the center channel sounded harsher than it used to. I thought that the speakers were going so I purchased a 5.0 set of the Pioneer speakers designed by andrew jones and my new center speaker still sounded harsh. I had even set all my speakers to small and set the crossover at 90hz. I do not use a subwoofer. I started thinking there might be a problem with my receiver so I bought the Yamaha rx-373 receiver and that solved the problem. The sound on this receiver is much smoother and there is no harshness coming from the center channel. Does anyone have any idea what could be making my center channel sound harsh on my Sony receiver?

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I had previously been using an older Sony str-de845 receiver with jbl sat10 speakers and about a year ago I noticed that the center channel sounded harsher than it used to. I thought that the speakers were going so I purchased a 5.0 set of the Pioneer speakers designed by andrew jones and my new center speaker still sounded harsh. I had even set all my speakers to small and set the crossover at 90hz. I do not use a subwoofer. I started thinking there might be a problem with my receiver so I bought the Yamaha rx-373 receiver and that solved the problem. The sound on this receiver is much smoother and there is no harshness coming from the center channel. Does anyone have any idea what could be making my center channel sound harsh on my Sony receiver?
Did you check the cabel from your center channel? Maybe they where shorting out

D

DanH12

Junior Audioholic
I did. I even bought new speaker wire for the front and center channels and it made no difference.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
the center channel sounded harsher... new center speaker still sounded harsh... harshness...
When you say harsh you mean, a) too much treble or b) not good sounding, as in, distorting or c) no bass or d) something else altogether?

I bought the Yamaha rx-373 receiver and that solved the problem. The sound on this receiver is much smoother and there is no harshness coming from the center channel.
Did you happen to try the Yamaha with the JBL Sat10 center to see if it sounded harsh or okay?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hard to say why. You would need to check every aspect of that receiver trying your left/right speakers hooked up to the center channel, going into the setup menus and check to make sure some aspect of the center channel was not altered to an extreme.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis