Why do we get the upgrade bug?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dan you bring up a good point. You mention how much you like your systems once you get them dialed in. I wonder how much of the battle that is really vs getting upgraded equipment assuming reasonable quality? I kind of think that’s the huge step that makes most reasonable fear sound amazing and frankly maybe not that much different than something more expensive. Yet it’s too
Much fun to alway last be looking for a deal. I do like your idea of having one setup aside to just play with new options while leaving main systems dialed in and set
I call that room my guilty pleasure room. My next journey I'm contemplating NHT speakers I want to try out there C4 line. Those are true acoustic suspension speakers. I've heard good things and I'm really curious about them. Also the Monolith speaker series from Monoprice and one year I'd really like to try out the Emotiva T2+s line up. I've heard great things about those as well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One of the biggest lessons I learned is to focus more on optimizing what you have before buying new stuff looking for improvements. Unless you have garbage to start with, optimization will get you more for less and make you feel like you upgraded. A 75 dollar measurement mic made as big a difference for me as when I went from sealed 12s to ported 15" subs. It's more work, can be frustrating until you get your arms around it, but can net you some real audible improvements.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've really had the itch to replace my mains the last few months and came close to pulling the trigger recently but I've learned here that the room has a major impact so it makes sense in my case to take care of some of the reflections, like the right wall and ceiling bulk head. We just got back from 2 weeks out east so I have some bills to take care of first any way. :)

Having a second room would be a treat. The upstairs has in-walls so I can't swap out those, and the den has no room for floor standers. Been thinking about upgrading the den audio recently which would allow me to try various bookshelf speakers. I still have an original set of Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers, but that little sub probably does not go any lower than a proper pair of bookshelves. The subwoofer candy material does nothing on those. Realtek audio on the PC is not very good though, so I'm think of picking up a nice DAC that I can plug into my old Yamaha integrated amp and drive a couple of bookshelves and the two Canton subs that I just got. That's a lot of needed desktop space though so I'll have to reconfigure the room a bit.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 3 bedrooms I can set up systems in and for some reason I just haven't. It might gimme something new to do with the hobby, and I definitely have the speakers for it, but I spend the overwhelming bulk of my time in the living room so I just haven't been very motivated to go there.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
No upgrade bug for me. When the old stuff dies, I have to replace. No replacements in the last ten years have been better (for me) than the old, dead stuff.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I also haven't been bitten by the upgrade bug. Last piece of gear I bought was a used Rega Planar 3 TT in 2015. And it is actually older then the rest of my components. Funny I used to upgrade (replace) components every few years back in the 80s whether I needed to or not. Chasing the holy audio grail used to be fun but lately if it works and sounds good to me I'm happy. Great thread.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just reading this thread title gives me the upgrade bug...

:oops:
I almost bought something today, the JBL Studio 530 MSRP 599.99 per pair is on sale for 250.00! Yes 250 for the pair brand new. I don't like the center channel in the series and I'm way too nuts to mix brands. I just can't do it. The center in this series, 520C has 4 inch drivers in a MTM design. I don't like that for matching with the 530 with 5.25 driver.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I almost bought something today, the JBL Studio 530 MSRP 599.99 per pair is on sale for 250.00! Yes 250 for the pair brand new. I don't like the center channel in the series and I'm way too nuts to mix brands. I just can't do it. The center in this series, 520C has 4 inch drivers in a MTM design. I don't like that for matching with the 530 with 5.25 driver.

That series goes on sale pretty often so it's not like you wouldn't see that price again. Is it the 580s or 590s that go for $599/pr a couple times a year? I think it's the 590s.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just reading this thread title gives me the upgrade bug...

:oops:
Watch out everybody, He's gonna start hitting the Craigslist for all of the Four Corners like Brad Pitt hitting that Honey Bear Bong in True Romance! :p
Hierba weed maconha GIF on GIFER - by Kabandis

:cool: :D :cool:

<3

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That series goes on sale pretty often so it's not like you wouldn't see that price again. Is it the 580s or 590s that go for $599/pr a couple times a year? I think it's the 590s.
The 590s were 50% off a few times in the last month or 2. 499.99 each. The smallest tower in this series, the 570s were 199.99 each, MSRP is 599.99 each.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Watch out everybody, He's gonna start hitting the Craigslist for all of the Four Corners like Brad Pitt hitting that Honey Bear Bong in True Romance! :p
Hierba weed maconha GIF on GIFER - by Kabandis

:cool: :D :cool:

<3
Hey, I found an 8 track player!

00909_cUxrvIOS1Ggz_0lM0t2_300x300.jpg

Your move... :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 590s were 50% off a few times in the last month or 2. 499.99 each. The smallest tower in this series, the 570s were 199.99 each, MSRP is 599.99 each.

I'm almost positive I've seen the 590s go for $599/pr. Almost... I know I've seen the 550 10" sub go for $199. It's regular $599.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm almost positive I've seen the 590s go for $599/pr. Almost... I know I've seen the 550 10" sub go for $199. It's regular $599.
I think that was the 580s. I've been following JBL for 6 months now drooling. The 590s usually go on sale for 999.99 bucks when they are MSRP 1,999.99. The 580s go on sale for 599.99 and the 570s go on sale for 399.99 which is also totally insane. So you then think they are making a profit at those prices? Shipping is free with those prices..

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think I've seen the sales hit like 55 or 57% on the 590s. :) I would likely break down and order some for 66% off. :eek:
Oh ya... and the free prize that comes with it.
A divorce.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think I've seen the sales hit like 55 or 57% on the 590s. :) I would likely break down and order some for 66% off. :eek:
A divorce.
Exactly what would pretty much happen up me. It's not like I could explain oh but these were 50% off. I've spent a lot of money on this stuff so I guess it gets to the point enough is enough. I still want RSL CG5s which I think I'm gonna order and not care about the repercussions soon. It's gonna be my Xmas gift to me myself. I have 300 bucks saved in cash. I'll just hand her 700 bucks when I have it say pay off the incoming credit card bill. Then I will look like this.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
No upgrade bug for me. When the old stuff dies, I have to replace. No replacements in the last ten years have been better (for me) than the old, dead stuff.
I need to think more like you for sure! It's funny that for most other stuff I think exactly like you mention. Ain't broke get value out of it!! That's a great approach

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A divorce.
Come on, you hate the look more than the wife... :) She likes blue speakers more? Just askin' :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Come on, you hate the look more than the wife... :) She likes blue speakers more? Just askin' :)
Ha.
While I am not fond of those... a pair for 600 would be worth the expenditure as an experiment.
And my Blues are not the Lady's 'bidnez.' She knows that and respects my space.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis