Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Network streamers from high-end brands like Cambridge, Rose, or Naim target audiophiles seeking superior sound quality over budget options like AVRs/Roku/Sonos. While they offer similar streaming app access, they boast better DACs, dedicated circuitry, and audiophile-grade components for potentially noticeable sonic improvements, justifying their premium price tag. If sound quality isn't paramount, budget options likely suffice, but for discerning listeners, these pricier streamers potentially elevate their digital music experience.
Straight out of Chat GTP! :D

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
With a streamer can you choose songs, or is it a playlist loop from the streaming service?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
With a streamer can you choose songs, or is it a playlist loop from the streaming service?
Streaming service apps have search functions for artists, albums, songs and of course, playlists. You can add selections to your library in their respective categories. If you subscribe to Amazon Music, Deezer, Qobuz or Tidal, they are all available in the MusicCast app when using it with your Yamaha receiver as is Spotify Connect.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Streaming service apps have search functions for artists, albums, songs and of course, playlists. You can add selections to your library in their respective categories. If you subscribe to Amazon Music, Deezer, Qobuz or Tidal, they are all available in the MusicCast app when using it with your Yamaha receiver as is Spotify Connect.
Exactly.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Say @davidscott , how is the WiiM app with streaming services? The DTS Play-Fi, HEOS and MusicCast apps aren't anything to brag about when browsing services but they function well enough.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Say @davidscott , how is the WiiM app with streaming services? The DTS Play-Fi, HEOS and MusicCast apps aren't anything to brag about when browsing services but they function well enough.
The WIIM app using Amazon Unlimited music is great. Easy to install and use and they even have an 8 band equalizer included. I am verry happy with it. Then again, it's my 1st streamer so i have nothing to compare it to. If you don't have a decent external DAC make sure to get the WII Pro Plus not the Pro. It has a much better DAC.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
My oldest son is trying his best to get me up to speed inso far as streaming. I have none, only SACD/CD and LP playback. One of his recommendations is this one ...........

any others of comparable quality I should consider ?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
My oldest son is trying his best to get me up to speed inso far as streaming. I have none, only SACD/CD and LP playback. One of his recommendations is this one ...........

Save yourself some $$ and buy the WIIM Pro Plus. This thing has a decent AKM DAC and a built-in equalizer in the WIIM app. I run it through my Android phone using the RCA line outs into the Harman Kardon 3490 receiver. Relatively easy to use and inexpensive. If you don't like streaming, you won't be out much and if you do you can always upgrade in the future. For me it's all I need. For now. :)
PS don't buy the WIIM Pro - vastly inferior DAC.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Depending on your equipment, you do not have to buy anything to start streaming.

First of all your receiver or AVP may have HEOS. If it also has eARC and so does your TV, then there are a host of apps from your TV you can stream with.

Plugging a Chromecast device into an HDMI port of your receiver or AVP will allow you to do a lot of streaming from your phone.

If at all possible I do recommend a wired connection for streaming.

I use all of the above, but I do have a couple of computers in the main rig, and one in the great room system that we use for a lot of streaming. I would say most of what I stream is in AV, so picture and video. I do, do quite a bit of audio streaming from my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

The DAC in you AVP or AVR will be every bit as good as in any streamer.

There are lots of way of skinning this cat. I get on very well without what people refer to as streamers. They tend to be what I call "hunt and peck" devices.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Depending on your equipment, you do not have to buy anything to start streaming.

First of all your receiver or AVP may have HEOS. If it also has eARC and so does your TV, then there are a host of apps from your TV you can stream with.

Plugging a Chromecast device into an HDMI port of your receiver or AVP will allow you to do a lot of streaming from your phone.

If at all possible I do recommend a wired connection for streaming.

I use all of the above, but I do have a couple of computers in the main rig, and one in the great room system that we use for a lot of streaming. I would say most of what I stream is in AV, so picture and video. I do, do quite a bit of audio streaming from my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

The DAC in you AVP or AVR will be every bit as good as in any streamer.

There are lots of way of skinning this cat. I get on very well without what people refer to as streamers. They tend to be what I call "hunt and peck" devices.
This is for my 2 channel rig, shown below........

audio rack, low rez.jpeg

as you can see it's a basic source > pre > amp. My SACD player, a Marantz 'Ruby' has IMO a good DAC. So, from there I go ............

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

View attachment 67406

as you can see it's a basic source > pre > amp. My SACD player, a Marantz 'Ruby' has IMO a good DAC. So, from there I go ............
So, you will need something to grab the stream and do the digital to analog conversion. So that makes life a bit more complicated. That is one of the reasons that all my rigs have been AV for nearly 20 years. Fine legacy analog equipment can be easily integrated into AV systems. That gives you the best of all worlds.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't get why people spend $3-6K on standalone streamers either when they already own a $7K AVP. :D

I stream music all the time using just my Yamaha AVP and the music sounds great every single time without any kind of issue.

Yet I hear people say that these streamers somehow significantly nigh-and-day improve the sound quality even if they just bitstream digital files to their $7K AVP. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't get why people spend $3-6K on standalone streamers either. :D

I stream music all the time using just my Yamaha AVP and the music sounds great every single time without any kind of issue.

Yet I hear people say that these streamers somehow significantly nigh-and-day improve the sound quality even if they just bitstream digital files to their AVP. :D
Yes, people have active imaginations. People get involved in double conversions without realizing it. Digital systems do not fail like analog systems with increasing distortion. Error correction works perfectly until it doesn't. When it doesn't you know about, with drop outs and or loud pops.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

View attachment 67406

Nice Rig. So, what make, and model is that TT and cart? Sure looks way more expensive than my REGA Planar 3.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Nice Rig. So, what make, and model is that TT and cart? Sure looks way more expensive than my REGA Planar 3.
VPI Aries 3, Benz Micro 'Gulwing' . Phono-pre is a a Fosgate Signature.

FWIW, I've gotten some more positive feedback on the WiiM Pro Plus, thks again !

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Good discussion. With most of today’s amps having wi-fi and or Bluetooth and built-in DACs Really no need for an external streamer. I got a Wiim Pro Plus used for my old AVR and it sounds fine Plugged in using the RCA cables it came with. I’m still waiting for my brother to hook up and try streaming with the old unit I gave him. Trying to get family and friends to try streaming and share the love.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I booted Alexa to the curb once and for all a few months back. At work now, I just hook my phone directly to my JBL LSR305 speakers and it does a good job standing in for hi-fi. I don't use the phone for much else so it has helped adding some usefulness to the otherwise ball and chain thing that it has become in my life.

I have been streaming on PC since it ever became available on the internet, I just didn't realize it was what I was doing. I mostly selected songs and albums on youtube, Napster etc. In the last 10 years or so, I have created stations instead of playlists. My mood changes too much to abide by playlists. Repetitiveness and advertisements, was what killed FM radio for me. I had done away with it and only listened to music at home via vinyl or CD.

I instead, create a station on Pandora based on an artist I am interested in and set to "discovery" mode. Some can go seemingly an entire day with very few repeats. I have discovered that there is a lot of good 'newer' music than I was giving credit for. The radio stations had me thinking millennial music was dreadful. Once I got away from that beaten path, and into some more, nearly underground (to me, at least) music, I discovered days weeks and months worth of new listening and even added some genres I never would have visited otherwise.

Still not a fan of modern pop (Adele, Post Malone, Taylor Swift etc.), and because that was what the 'fluffy' dude at work listens to on FM constantly, really just kept me in the classic rock playback loop at work. I didn't know I would like say. . .Indie music, but there is some good stuff there, along with reggae/dub stations based on more modern (even white guys beyond UB40 are doing it) artists. Streaming certainly has opened up a heap more of jazz, that I really didn't have time to dig into until I built my new main speakers around 2017.

Recently tried Qobuz, Spotify, Tidal and Roon again now that I have more streaming experience, and still didn't care for them. They try too hard to think for me and they are too far off, to the point of becoming annoying with all their trend bs. This has me just using Pandora for endless discovery, and scamazon for when I want to listen to select albums. Scamazon's discovery works well enough, but is not as seamless as Pandora has been. Pandora will keep playing until I turn it off, while scamazons and others were cutting me off and making me do special tricks to work around their bandwidth saving ways. I use Pandora at night when I go to bed and at work. I don't really notice the differences in SQ between that and the others.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis