Whole Home Audio With Wired Speakers and iOS

O

Orionengineer

Audiophyte
I'm working on designing a whole home audio system but I feel like I'm not finding any current articles that discuss the options. I will have multiple rooms (likely a total of 4 or 5) that each have either in-ceiling/outdoor speakers or a receiver and speakers. My sources will be iOS devices, iTunes/iMusic from a computer, and a Roku. Would an Arylic A50 for each set of speakers and an S10 or S50 for each receiver be all I need for this setup? My main receiver has AirPlay1 but it's not the most convenient to use and I would like to get everything running off the same platform.

I'm also looking for recommendations on in-ceiling speakers and outdoor speakers. So far I've narrowed the outdoors to the OSD AP650s but I'm open to other ideas. At least one of the in-ceilings will be in the bathroom so stereo + moisture-resistant would be ideal.

Finally, I'll be making a built-in around my TV so I'll need speakers that can mount behind a cabinet door with a mesh cover (left, right, and center). Ideally they can match with a pair of in-ceiling speakers I can use as rear surrounds.

As far as budget goes, I'm trying not to break the bank. Most of this setup will be for background listening so I'm more interested in convenience and usability than high volume and high-end sound.
Thanks in advance for any help!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
You are talking about a very complicated system. Your best bet is to contact a specialty company like Home Theater Direct.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Keep in mind that audio streaming, and playback of video, are completely different items.

A room which has a surround system in it with a TV, or a set of stereo speakers, with a TV, isn't going to be playing along as well as a room with just speakers in it. That's because a TV video source needs the audio to have proper lip-sync. This is not a feature that these audio-only devices usually keep in mind, and the end result is that the homeowner really pays the price.

Now, I haven't heard of Arylic before, but they seem like a perfectly acceptable, inexpensive option to something like Heos or Sonos, but you will definitely want to read reviews to see if they do the job.

A big question I would have for you is whether you intend to pull all your sources back to a central head-end location, like in your basement, or a closet, or somewhere else, or if you just plan to put these boxes in every single room uniquely.

I'm a big fan of bringing everything back to a single location.

From there, your speakers are all about your choice for each room and what is right. For rooms with a TV, a stereo set of in-wall speakers flanking the TV is nice, but angled in-ceiling speakers can work as well. In a better room, you may want better speakers to get that better audio. In reality, for background audio and a good upgrade over TV audio, I'm a fan of what the Monoprice speakers deliver. I lean towards their 8" 3-way in-wall speakers as a favorite:
For $100 a pair, they deliver better than average in-wall audio and are a significant upgrade over what is built into your typical TV.
Ceiling angled speakers (for TV locations where in-walls won't work): https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4929
Typical ceiling: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4103

Be aware that sound from in-wall/ceiling speakers travels both directions. So, any adjacent rooms to the speakers will get a fair bit of audio directed their way. Plan accordingly!

Planning carefully about what your goals are is always the best starting point. Asking questions and being ready with your budget to shift isn't a bad thing if you intend to stay in one place for years to come.

Be very specific about your audio and video goals as things really have changed in recent years due to networking.

Do NOT think about using wireless to the main devices. Use a wired connection for all of your Arylic (or whatever) products. Your wireless will be from your phone to your home network. From there, make sure you have hard line networking in place for the best results.

O

Orionengineer

Audiophyte
Thank you for this BMXTRIX!

Keep in mind that audio streaming, and playback of video, are completely different items.
Agreed - I'm only after audio here.

Now, I haven't heard of Arylic before, but they seem like a perfectly acceptable, inexpensive option to something like Heos or Sonos, but you will definitely want to read reviews to see if they do the job.
I actually found this site after watching an Audioholics review of some Arylic products. Here it is if you care to watch.

A big question I would have for you is whether you intend to pull all your sources back to a central head-end location, like in your basement, or a closet, or somewhere else, or if you just plan to put these boxes in every single room uniquely.

I'm a big fan of bringing everything back to a single location.
I'm planning on a single location.

From there, your speakers are all about your choice for each room and what is right. For rooms with a TV, a stereo set of in-wall speakers flanking the TV is nice, but angled in-ceiling speakers can work as well. In a better room, you may want better speakers to get that better audio. In reality, for background audio and a good upgrade over TV audio, I'm a fan of what the Monoprice speakers deliver. I lean towards their 8" 3-way in-wall speakers as a favorite:
For $100 a pair, they deliver better than average in-wall audio and are a significant upgrade over what is built into your typical TV.
Ceiling angled speakers (for TV locations where in-walls won't work): https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4929
Typical ceiling: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4103
The ceilings for the TV viewing will only be for the rears since this will be in a great room where the walls in the "back" are way too far away. Thanks for the recommendations.

Planning carefully about what your goals are is always the best starting point. Asking questions and being ready with your budget to shift isn't a bad thing if you intend to stay in one place for years to come.
Will do. To that point, I still haven't figured out if these devices are all I'll need to build this successfully. It sounds like the HEOS might be an all-in-one solution, but I don't need an amp for all of my speakers so it sounds like it would be overkill. Any other ideas you have about where I can find more comprehensive information about how to do this would be welcomed.

Do NOT think about using wireless to the main devices. Use a wired connection for all of your Arylic (or whatever) products. Your wireless will be from your phone to your home network. From there, make sure you have hard line networking in place for the best results.
100% agree.

Thanks again

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis