Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, i've been recently looking over a few of the detailed face-offs in order to get a better idea of what principles and what characteristics of both speaker cables and interconnects to look for and compare. Needless to say, being a newbie I have little birds flying around in my brain after a few of these reads. The articles aren't exactly in leymans terms altho i didn't expect them to be but it really is quite easy for the terminology to fly over ones head when your not an electrical engineer nor a HT professional. I need some sort of tutor, someone or something to slowly explain the basics of HT, i know some but not enough. I love researching and sometimes I get in a little over my head. Does anyone have either a link or a few minutes [altho i doubt it would only take minutes] to teach me a few things. I'd really appreciate it and would return the favour maybe in areas where I can provide the tutoring such as computers :D

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
Ok

Ok well most of that stuff I did already know... maybe im not the newbie I thought? I hear people talking about all the impedence and resistance Rdc and all kinds of other stuff and im just baffled. I do know the ideas behind impedance and resistance and it only makes sense that you want the least possible. But is that all that dictates a good speaker cable? I suppose it might make sense if it is, seeing how all you want to do is get the electrons from one end to the other with the least amount of resistance. However... I need to know the more detailed specs to look for in everything especially cables seeing as how ive already purchased all my HT besides that. What settings should I be using on my TV/DVD/AVreciever my TV is not HD atm only because I was working with a budget and that was the easiest to save money on. I ended up getting a 27inch Panasonic TAU for under 300CDN so it was a matter of a deal that could not be passed up. My room is relatively large for a bedroom but small for a Home Theatre. I would say roughly 13x23 or so.... I have a Yammie HTR-5740 and theyve packed this reciever with every possible decoder I think that is out there. I know its got PLII and DTS-ES and I think EX and many differeent modes of each. Hard to decide which will give me the best sound for each dvd. Obviously DTS will only work when supported by the DVD which is seldom the case. Most of the DVDs i seem to rent from blockbuster only say dolby digital 5.1 on the options. Does this mean they wont play DTS or wont play 6 channels? Ive used the Neo6 channel decoder before on the 5.1 movies and a 6th channel is either present or emulated because my rear centre is in full swing. From the sounds of that article youve posted for me Dolby Digital is the most often best choice. Unless the dvd suports dts or dts-es etc. So with that respect the article did help me out a bit on deciding which decoder was best. However what the article failed to explain was the more detailed parts of purchasing interconnects and speaker wires. Currently the only interconnect I will likely stay with is my set of ProII Series Component Video cables from AR. I have the base AR Digital Coax cable but it is running on the CD output and im wondering if its limiting the bandwidth going thru that setting. There only seems to be digital output for the DVD under the optical category. So whether i may change to optical will be based on wether or not it will be better. I was going to go with master series cable from AR for my speakers but i read that article on the speaker wire showdown like 3 times trying to understand it and i understood some but basically from the main jist of it I got that on a budget, go with SoundKing if your willing to spend 5 bux a foot go with Cobalt. Then I saw a post trying to promote Blue Jeans cable which seems ok... looks like they ditch some of the more flash aspects of cables that allot of people are drawn to in order to save you a buck. Altho they arent exactly cheap cheap either. So many companies to choose from. So here I sit day after day... article after article, trying to find out what to buy on a students budget. This post is long enough... Thanks again for listening.

Cheers
Justin

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
1 more thing

P.S. I do know about the reassigning of the ports at the bak so I could run the digi coax under the dvd setting BUT, would it not be logical to assume they've limited the bandwidth on that digital line to the CD in order to save some money? I don't know. MESA CONFUSED

I would actually think it's easier to have one type of coax digital input and replicate it than to have different types. SO, no the CD input does not limit. In fact, more and more higher end receivers are coming out that just number the inputs rather than assigning labels, which I think is done mainly to help consumers know where to connect stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis