Who makes this speaker? SPK060GG Pics included

vestaviascott

vestaviascott

Audiophyte
Picked this up at thrift shop. No badge on the grills but has a model number and serial on the back. They sound pretty good. Anyone know anything about them?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Most likely those came from a "stereo in a box."

Google search for that model number turned up nothing, which is why I doubt they were standalone speakers. You could try removing one of the woofers or tweeters to see if a brand is stamped on the magnet.

Don't get your hopes up too high for those. As someone who grew up with a budget that only afforded me Radio Shack's finest when they were on sale, I can spot a few warning signs. The cabinets seem to be particle board, and if that's the case you might not even want to remove a screw since that stuff strips way too easily.

Also, these were probably meant to be sealed enclosures. The 4 holes in the front most likely held rubber "plugs" into which the grilles were mounted. Either an adventurous child plucked them out or they just popped out when someone went to remove the grilles (I have seen that happen first hand). Regardless of how it happened, it will reduce the bass response of the speaker and it will allow more excursion than it was designed for. If you do like the way they sound, just don't experiment with putting a lot of power to them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Kvn_Walker's comments!
You might see if you can find some wine corks (hard to tell the size from the photo) to plug the holes. With no port, the speaker design may have relied on the damping from a sealed cabinet to prevent the woofer from destroying itself when you play them loudly. It should also tighten up the bass a bit!
I have come across some inexpensive speakers that sounded pretty darn good, but it is a safe bet that the drivers are not designed to play at high SPL - you can get lucky with sound quality, but rigorous drivers always require more money!

vestaviascott

vestaviascott

Audiophyte
Thanks guys. The grills have plugs that completely fill those holes. Here are a few shots with the grills on:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis