Harmon Kardon 330B Receiver question

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
My first ever component system had a Harmon Kardon 330B. It was 1976 or 77. I was 16 years old. It was a system sold by a local small electronics chain called Schaak Electronics. It had the receiver (20 wpc), large 3-way speakers called Omega 3's with 12 inch woofers and a lower-end Technics turntable. It was a very loud and clear system. I recall like yesterday the first time I played Steely Dan's Katy Lied LP, when Black Friday tails off, there is a high-hat that is hit multiple times in rapid fashion. I was so shocked, not accustomed to a nice-sounding system that I looked around the room quickly to see what it was! I thought something was in the room, until a second later I when realized it was the LP! I still recall that every time I play the LP to this day. I do not recall what I did with the receiver, but because of nostalgic purposes, if I find a nice enough one at a good price, I will buy it. Don't need it. ha.
But I was watching this video and the guy (about the 10:30 mark on the video) said the 330B is a capacitor coupled amp and the 330C is a direct coupled amp. I have no clue what that means, but he said some people claim a cap coupled amp sounds better than a direct coupled amp. The former sounds tube-like to some people he said. He didn't make the claim as his own opinion.
But that is interesting to me that this little receiver may have been the cat's a$$ and might rival some known great ones. My question is: what do you make of this? Hogwash? I had the opinion that as far as vintage amps, the best sounding ones would be Sansui, Marantz and Pioneer. Should this particular Harmon Kardon make that list?
btw, this little amp has pre-outs! Not bad for sort of an entry-level amp.
Photos below are the 330B
Here is the video:

Attachments

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My first ever component system had a Harmon Kardon 330B. It was 1976 or 77. I was 16 years old. It was a system sold by a local small electronics chain called Schaak Electronics. It had the receiver (20 wpc), large 3-way speakers called Omega 3's with 12 inch woofers and a lower-end Technics turntable. It was a very loud and clear system. I recall like yesterday the first time I played Steely Dan's Katy Lied LP, when Black Friday tails off, there is a high-hat that is hit multiple times in rapid fashion. I was so shocked, not accustomed to a nice-sounding system that I looked around the room quickly to see what it was! I thought something was in the room, until a second later I when realized it was the LP! I still recall that every time I play the LP to this day. I do not recall what I did with the receiver, but because of nostalgic purposes, if I find a nice enough one at a good price, I will buy it. Don't need it. ha.
But I was watching this video and the guy (about the 10:30 mark on the video) said the 330B is a capacitor coupled amp and the 330C is a direct coupled amp. I have no clue what that means, but he said some people claim a cap coupled amp sounds better than a direct coupled amp. The former sounds tube-like to some people he said. He didn't make the claim as his own opinion.
But that is interesting to me that this little receiver may have been the cat's a$$ and might rival some known great ones. My question is: what do you make of this? Hogwash? I had the opinion that as far as vintage amps, the best sounding ones would be Sansui, Marantz and Pioneer. Should this particular Harmon Kardon make that list?
btw, this little amp has pre-outs! Not bad for sort of an entry-level amp.
Photos below are the 330B
Here is the video:
A capacitor coupled amp is from the early days, where there was a cap at the output between the output transistors and the speakers. This was to prevent DC off set from getting to the speakers. The problem was that this capacitor limited deep bass and caused a phase advance at the deepest frequencies.

Around 1967 Crown introduced a direct coupled amp, the DC 300 and then 300A.

The problem was that if DC offset developed, which occurred if an output transistor failed then the whole rail voltage appeared at the speakers and they went up in smoke.

I had a Crown DC 300A do this within the first week and take out a line of eight midrange drivers on opening night of a commercial installation.

Eventually protection circuits were developed that protected the speakers. The first were clamp circuits at the output, that shorted the output transistors and totally sacrificed the amp, rather than the speakers.

Over time more sophisticated protection circuits were developed which shut the amp down without damaging the amp catastrophically.

The is why receivers go into protection if a power transistor fails in any channel.

It is nonsense that a cap coupled amp sounds better.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
A capacitor coupled amp is from the early days, where there was a cap at the output between the output transistors and the speakers. This was to prevent DC off set from getting to the speakers. The problem was that this capacitor limited deep bass and caused a phase advance at the deepest frequencies.

The problem was that if DC offset developed, which occurred if an output transistor failed then the whole rail voltage appeared at the speakers and they went up in smoke.

I had a Crown DC 300A do this within the first week and take out a line of eight midrange drivers on opening night of a commercial installation.

Eventually protection circuits were developed that protected the speakers. The first were clamp circuits at the output, that shorted the output transistors and totally sacrificed the amp, rather than the speakers.

Over time more sophisticated protection circuits were developed which shut the amp down without damaging the amp catastrophically.

The is why receivers go into protection if a power transistor fails in any channel.

Thanks for explaining that.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

Curious, which style is my Marantz 1060?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis