Who Makes the Best Performing Subwoofers?

Who Makes the Best Subwoofers?

• Axiom Audio

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Elemental Designs

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Epik Subwoofers

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • JL Audio

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • HSU Research

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Rythmik Audio

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • SV Sound

Votes: 49 39.5%
  • Velodyne

Votes: 14 11.3%

• Total voters
R

Ronbro

Audiophyte
choosing one

Hi-
I've never owned a subwoofer but I'm starting to shop...I'm wondering if matching a sub to your main speakers is like matching a center channel for the center channel "voicing" characteristics.
I own Axiom Audio M80's.
Thanx !

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Ronbro:
No, you don't need to match a sub to the speakers. In fact, it's typically recommended not to because even the best speaker brands have only mediocre subs. Find a sub from the list of brands in this poll that meets your budget/room size needs. A good sub is detailed & accurate. This type of sub will blend with any & all speaker brands. A good sub will make a decent speaker sytem sound much better.

What you need to think about when choosing a sub:
1. Budget
2. Your room size
3. The amount of space you have available to actually place the sub itself (floor real state)

Get the best sub you can afford, it's one of the most important pieces of a sound system. Once you get one, make sure to locate the best sounding spot of the room to place it. You do that by doing the "bass crawl". Remember, a new sub won't sound it's best when brand new. They need a solid 30-50+hrs to "break-in". So don't judge it until then because it will improve noticably in that period.

I would look at HSU, SVS, Rythmik. Those give you the best sub per $ IMHO!!!

R

ratm

Audioholic
I voted for the Empire as it is my sub. I have not heard any of the other brands so I suppose that I shouldnt even have voted in what amounts to a popularity contest. I will agree on a few things. My Empire is built like a absolute tank; the pb13 ultra is one of the most beautiful subs Ive ever seen (was in rosewood) and sounded amazing; the VTF15 was my choice 1A but I just felt that the Empire fit better in my room and situation.

All that said, its very hard to take any best performing sub thread/poll seriously when Axiom and Velo are included, but not Seaton or JTR. No disrespect to Axiom and Velo, but I cant imagine anyone posting in this thread hasnt heard about Seaton or JTR and their rep for producing (in many circles) the best subs you can get outside of the DIY route.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Forgot to mention, it's the JBL 4641 which I am passionate about. I've been thinking about replacing my JBL B380 with the 4641. Really no complaint about the B380, just figurin' the 4641 will be more of a good thing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would say Funkywaves, Rythmik, SVS.

But again, with polls like these, a lot of people will just vote for the brands they own. So it's more like "which sub brands do you own?" :D

Since I own Rythmik, I voted for SVS. :D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I would say Funkywaves, Rythmik, SVS.

But again, with polls like these, a lot of people will just vote for the brands they own. So it's more like "which sub brands do you own?" :D

Since I own Rythmik, I voted for SVS. :D
Well most people decide which sub to buy by first researching which one would perform the best ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well most people decide which sub to buy by first researching which one would perform the best ;)
Of course. We all do. But there are always other factors to consider at the time.

For example, my next purchase will probably be dual Funk Audio 18.3 subs.

D

dgkirkman

Enthusiast
Velodyne all the way.. currently running (2) old school (96') servo series F-1200Rs paired with an Onkyo HT-S9300THX 7.1 3D system..total of 3-12" subs in a room thats 21'x18'..it sounds pretty good puts a smile on everyones face

N

norml4721

Audioholic Intern
Best Subs

Hi :

I selected Rythmik. Although I think they did not put one of the best subwoofers around is Rel Accoustics, Especialy for music on the list. Most of the best subwoofers are made by companies whose primary business is making subwoofers. Full line speakers companies just don't spend the R & D that is needed to make superior product.

Companieas like HSU, Rythmik, Rel, SVS, etc etc do a much better job. At least that is my humble (very humble) opinion. In fact when I bought my 7.1 system all Focal.(A few pieces at a time. Could not afford to buy all at once) I bought the matching sub to go along with it. However for the money I spent I should have bought one of the brands I mentioned above or a few others I did not mention.

Just a few thoughts that I would throw into the mix.

Best,

Norm L

D

DrFunk

Audioholic Intern
Velodyne asked their facebook / twitter followers to vote; and they were a mainstream-ish brick and mortar brand.

It's a bit skewed to say the least.
It definitely is. Compared to what everyone else around here keeps talking about (Rythmik, SVS, HSU, Epik) I thought something had been broken with the poll when I saw how many votes Velo had gotten. They aren't mentioned a whole lot compared to the ID companies.

Personally, my vote would go to one that isn't on there, which is Seaton. He may only make 1 kind of sub, but its a damn fine sub at that :)

Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
Sub

I have a James loudspeaker power pipe with M1000 sub Amp. All I can say is WOW...

I also have a EMB-1000 again WOW...

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I voted for the Empire as it is my sub. I have not heard any of the other brands so I suppose that I shouldnt even have voted in what amounts to a popularity contest. I will agree on a few things. My Empire is built like a absolute tank; the pb13 ultra is one of the most beautiful subs Ive ever seen (was in rosewood) and sounded amazing; the VTF15 was my choice 1A but I just felt that the Empire fit better in my room and situation.

All that said, its very hard to take any best performing sub thread/poll seriously when Axiom and Velo are included, but not Seaton or JTR. No disrespect to Axiom and Velo, but I cant imagine anyone posting in this thread hasnt heard about Seaton or JTR and their rep for producing (in many circles) the best subs you can get outside of the DIY route.
Having owned and or heard many of the subs on the list and considering where I am now, I agree with your last statement. These ID brands are not something "the average audioholic" would know about so, I suppose they were left out for a good reason.:)

D

dgkirkman

Enthusiast
well just bought a velo dls-5000r well c how it blends in with my 2 other velo(old school)fsr-1200s

X

xxDrWhamxxx

Audiophyte
Kinda hard to say but....

How about that JL Audio Gotham g213?
2-13.5" active drivers moved by a 3800W amp.

Yeah Ok, Most of us might not have $12,000 to throw at a sub but wouldn't it be awesome! A sub that one can actually feel from over a football field away!
I read about it in Home Theater Mag recently.....:D

T

thEl_Matador

Audiophyte
I can't vote but I jus wanted to ask why Polk audio and definitely technology are not there? And brands that are unknown for most of the people are being vote as good when I know they are just brands with out real review

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis