Which would you choose?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
If you had narrowed it down to these two sets of speakers, what would you choose? After a month of research, these are the two that I've landed on that meet my criteria:

1. Want to move to floorstanders from my bookshelves
2. Want to buy from an internet-direct company
3. Budget of ~$1000
4. Need only fronts and center; have surrounds in place already (non-matched obviously)

These two fit the criteria for me, and of course others did as well...aperion and ascend were both contenders. But, if you had to pick between these, what would you get:

AV123:
Onix Rocket RS550 - $699 (on sale right now)
ELT Center Special Edition -$299
Shipping - $102
Total = $1100
(you may notice the ELT comes from a different line...i've already checked with av123 about this center matching sonically with the 550's and they got back to me saying it should be fine...can't go with the other centers due to space constraints)

-OR-

Axiom:
M60ti - $900
VP100 - $240
(no shipping)
Total = $1140

(alternative; to come in a little under budget)
Axiom:
M50ti - $700
VP100 - $240
Total = $940

Just curious what others would do. If you had narrowed your search to one of the 3 options, which would you pick? Current equipment that would be used in conjunction:
Marantz SR8400 receiver
SVS PB10-ISD

Here are the specs:
550's: http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=3.1
ELT Center Special Edition: http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=39.1

M60ti's: http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60ti_main.html
M50ti's: http://www.axiomaudio.com/m50ti_main.html
VP100: http://www.axiomaudio.com/vp100_main.html

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Cory,

Do the Rockets have the option for dual binding posts? At that spl, I would hope you could bi-amp those speakers down the road. I prefer the look of the Rockets over the Axioms, and like the fact the towers weigh 10lbs more each. They recommend 100 hours of break in time. That's 4 days straight until you get the optimum sound. I'm a believer in cabinet resonance issues, and the Rockets cut that resonance down with their design. Very cool. I'm not crazy about the appearance of the Rocket tweeter, but if it sounds great, who cares. The inverted cones are very cool. They look like my sub cone. So without being able to demo either, the Rockets win in the "chic" category. If they sounded similar, I'd go with them. I just hope they offer dual binding posts on the towers. If they don't, I guess you could still run a separate amp to them, but it would defeat the purpose of the front two amp channels on a receiver that could be used for driving the mids and highs. My other fear is that the Rocket towers don't have a dedicated midrange like the Axioms do. You may be missing some frequencies without a dedicated midrange. Without hearing them, I can't support one or the other.

Last edited:
corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Thanks Buckeye...always value your opinion.

Yeah, the Rockets do look sweet...but unfortunately, no dual binding posts. :( You may remember a few weeks ago, I posted a question regarding these sets, but that was more about their spl ratings and ohms. I'm not so concerned about that anymore as I think the Marantz can handle either pair. It'll just have to work harder with the Rockets...plus, down the road, I know I'll be adding a nice 2 channel amp (who knows how far down the road though). Yeah, the Rockets look so nice and their whole story is great...I've spent a LOT of time at that site posting on the forums and figuring out the scoop on the speakers. They seem super solid...but with that said, everyone raves about the Axioms, so I had to give them a nod also. I'm stuck. I may pull the trigger on the Rockets and call it a day.

Oh yeah, the tweeter. Yeah, it's a Vifa ring radiator. I can't remember for sure, but I think i've seen something similar used in the Polk Lsi series..I could be wrong. From what I've read, a lot of people have said that it tends to not be as bright as a metal dome tweeter, a little smoother like a silk dome.

But yeah, in the looks department, the Rockets have it. Funny you should mention the cabinet...the brought that up too, saying something like curved cabinet surfaces aren't easy to achieve and aren't the most cost effective, but helps greatly with cabinet resonance. I was glad to see they went with was best, not what was easier/more cost efficient.

Thanks again.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I have heard both, and like the 550's better. I have also heard the ELT center, while it will work, it is not a timbre match to the 550's.

The M60 is also a nice speaker, but the VP100 center does leave some to be desired.

Both are well built, and many are fans of Rocket's rosewood. Like the rosewood or not, the cabinets are solid. Neither speaker has any resonating issues.

Both companies use aluminum drivers. Aluminum drivers have some breakup issues in the higher mids. This can be masked with how the crossover is implemented with intergration into the tweeter/midrange. It is an art.

Biamping is not necessary, and dual binding post do not mean a speaker can be biamped. For true biamping, you need seperate input for the tweeter(highs) and woofers(lows), no crossover, a seperate amplifier for each that receive signals from an active crossover, with one amplifier handling lowpass and the other highpass. This is true biamping.

Sending power from two amps into one crossover is essentially bridging. Sending the same signal from a single amp into dual binding post is bi-wiring, and its effects are debateable.

Good clean power is all these two speakers need. I heard them with a 120wpc receiver.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
I heard the 550s and the M60 and own no products from either company. I too would take the 550 all day long over the M60. I agree with silversufer that dual binding posts have little to no value unless the speaker is a true bi-ampable speaker. The timbre matched center to the 550s is the RC200 not the ELT CC. The Vifa tweeter Rocket uses is very well respected.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
I love the looks of the Rockets. I think they are some of the best looking speakers around. However, since you are going to be driving them with a Marantz I would take the Axioms. I haven't heard either, but you didn't ask for only first hand experience.

From reviews I have read the Rockets can sound rolled off at the high end. That and the lower efficiency coupled with what is generally considered a "warm" amp in the marantz, could lend itself to a sound that may be too laid-back. The detail and clarity (I am trying to avoid the word bright as many consider it "bad") would add nice balance to the warmth of the Marantz.

If you were running a receiver on the bright side of neutral, I would say get the Rockets.

YMMV
X

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
OOOOoooooooops!!!
I left out a couple of words.

The last sentence of the second paragraph should read,
"The detail adn clarity of the Axioms would add nice balance to the warmth of the Marantz.

If you were running a Yamaha I think the rockts would be a better match perhaps, but witht he marantz, I would go for the Axioms

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Thanks a ton for the replies so far. I'm really debating this a lot...maybe not for some, but this is a large purchase for me. I'd love to be able to order them both and a/b them, but throwing over $2000 on my credit card, even knowing some of it would be credited back, is not really an option. I know at some point I'm just going to take a leap of faith, but it's good to hear others opinions. For instance, it never occured to me that I'd be matching a more warm/laid back receiver with a laid-back speaker in the Rockets...good to know and food for thought.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
The Rockets that have rolled off highs were the RS750's...both the original and sig versions, the sigs to a lesser extent. This used to be their flagship speaker and where the generalization came from. If was a sound I did not like. The newer speakers are much more balanced and neutral now.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
I know you " Want to buy from an internet-direct company " but have you considered the Wharfedale Evolution 30 (and their Evolution Center)?

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Once again I find myself agreeing with silversurfer the 750 are rolled off in the highs the 550s are not. The 550 is fairly neutral.

Another speaker that meets your criteria is the Ascend Acoustics 340s.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I know you have your heart set on Internet Direct, but I've got two suggestions for you first:

1: The PSB 6T. Nowhere near as attractive as the other options are physically but here's its specs in relation to the others:

FREQUENCY RANGE (Anechoic Chamber) On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 32-21,000Hz On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 42-20,000Hz Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5dB 42-10,000Hz LF Cutoff -10dB 27Hz SENSITIVITY (1W (2.83V) @ 1m, IEC-filtered Pink Noise, C-weighted) Anechoic Chamber 91dB Typical Listening Room 93dB IMPEDANCE
Nominal 6 Ohms Minimum 4 Ohms INPUT POWER (RMS, Clipping <10% Time) Recommended 10-200 Watts Program 150 Watts Dynamic Peak 300 Watts ACOUSTIC DESIGN
Tweeter (Nominal) 1" (25mm)
Aluminium Dome with Ferrofluid Woofer (Nominal) 3 x 6 1/2" (165mm)
Polypropylene Cone, Rubber Surround Crossover 2,500Hz, B3; 500Hz, LR4 Internal Volume 2.35 cu ft (65.8 liter) Design Type Bass Reflex
3 x 2" Front Port
Video Shielded SIZE (W x H x D) 8 x 38 1/2 x 20"
203 x 965 x 508mm
Feet add 1" (25mm) WEIGHT
Net 49lb (22.3kg)/each Shipping 60lb (27.3kg)/each

You can get 6T's and a 9C from sound sity.com for $969 plus about $100 shipping.

2: Look into the Monitor Audio silver series. The S edition is being replaced with the RS edition. S8's are some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, and Monitor audio stuff sings when hooked up to Marantz receivers, at least in my opinion. Look for some really big discounts on these guys right now that might drop the 8's into the $800 US region.

I really prefer to demo equipment, and if you have a local dealer available to you you get to listen before you buy. From all that I've read the Axioms and those Rockets should sound fantastic, and the worst case scenario is you'd be out shipping if you didn't like them.

I have to say I like the Vifa tweeter on the Rockets, but those speakers need an outboard amp to run with that Marantz. Given the two options you have there I'd go with the Axioms to get the most right away, and the rockets to get the most once you get the amp you mentioned.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Thanks Tex-amp...yeah, in my first post I put that I had considered Ascend as well as Aperion. I've ruled them out in favor of the Rockets and the Axioms...personal preference I guess.

Good to hear that the 550's don't have the roll off exhibited by the 750's.

Takeereasy, I actually just auditioned PSB's. I listened to the T45's and T55's. I thought they were great, and definitely sounded fuller and deeper than my B&W 601's (probably due to them being floorstanding vs. my bookshelves). I went over to soundcity just to look...didn't see the 6T anymore...perhaps sold out? The 4T is there though. As for Monitor, I've read the same stuff probably...excellent reviews, both professionally and from users. But I don't know what it is...I'm just really digging the idea of buying internet direct and skipping the middle man. I've been on the forums with these 2 speaker companies and really like the "community" feel you get with those speakers...haven't come across that with the other companies you get at the B&M places. Not important to everyone for sure, but it's a nice bonus to me, so I think that's where I'm headed.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Ahh very understandable, and I know you have good taste in amps and subs ;) so I'm sure you'll do fine. As well if for some bizarre reason you don't like them, send them back, you'll only be out a little bit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis