Which would give better picture? LG C8 vs Optoma CinemaX P2

B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

Currently I have a LG C8 77" OLED TV but I am considering on changing over to a projector.

My wife dislikes the idea of having something big bulky hanging off the ceiling, so I feel a ultra short throw projector would be a happy compromise.

After some light research, it looks like the Optoma CinemaX P2 is well rated.

How do these two stack up (given the optoma has good screen to project on) against one another?
Aside from gaining about 20-25" of screen, would I see a "much better" picture with the Optoma vs the LG I have now and be able to justify the cost of projector and screen?

Please advise, thanks
-Modi

(damn itch....)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The LG will crush the projector. CRUSH IT!!! The P2 is a perfectly acceptable UST projector. It uses the same entry level DLP chip found on $1,200 DLP 4K projectors, and the image is almost as good as them.

You pay a lot more to get a solid state light engine, and you pay a lot more to get the ultra short throw. You do not get any true image benefit from this purchase. Front projection, to be as good (which is all one could hope for) compared to OLED would require a JVC projector in a blacked out room on a white screen. Even then, OLED would do better with HDR. But, a 130" screen in a blacked out room with a JVC would look very good and would be way more immersive.

Projection is a compromise. It will never look as good as OLED does right now. But, the JVC LCoS projectors look amazing

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The LG will crush the projector. CRUSH IT!!! The P2 is a perfectly acceptable UST projector. It uses the same entry level DLP chip found on $1,200 DLP 4K projectors, and the image is almost as good as them.

You pay a lot more to get a solid state light engine, and you pay a lot more to get the ultra short throw. You do not get any true image benefit from this purchase. Front projection, to be as good (which is all one could hope for) compared to OLED would require a JVC projector in a blacked out room on a white screen. Even then, OLED would do better with HDR. But, a 130" screen in a blacked out room with a JVC would look very good and would be way more immersive.

Projection is a compromise. It will never look as good as OLED does right now. But, the JVC LCoS projectors look amazing
That is interesting you should say that. I did add the wiring to add a projection system in my AV room, so I had the option of that and the LG C class 77" TV.
I have to say the LG TV gives such I good picture, I doubt I would use the projector if I installed one. Would I like a bigger screen? Yes, however I think quality always aces quantity. The details depth and color on these TVs are quite astonishing. So I will save the money.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That is interesting you should say that. I did add the wiring to add a projection system in my AV room, so I had the option of that and the LG C class 77" TV.
I have to say the LG TV gives such I good picture, I doubt I would use the projector if I installed one. Would I like a bigger screen? Yes, however I think quality always aces quantity. The details depth and color on these TVs are quite astonishing. So I will save the money.
It depends greatly on the room you are in and what your goal is. I wouldn't trade my projector for a flat panel, or my flat panel for my projector. They both have a time and a place of use. I watch major movies and sometimes hockey and other quality HD viewing on my projector. Stuff of some significance. My 161" screen dwarfs my 85" flat panel display, and I have it in a light controlled space with black drapes up to help with reflections (some). It's not a perfect room, but it's extremely fun. I also got a projector which is several steps better than a entry level DLP model. This matters a great deal when you are talking about black level performance.

In a really dark room, a good LCoS projector can look very good. Not OLED good, but still, really good. Plus, you get a lot of added potential size.

I will say that there is no such thing as using a TV for home theater. A big TV, no matter how big, is still just a TV. It feels like a TV, it looks like a TV. A projector with a front projection screen FEELS like a theater. It looks like a theater. It can be enjoyed as a group like a theater.

There are some who have used projectors who can't imaging using a TV again. There are those who have used a projector and didn't like it at all. But, for most, they share responsibility between TVs and projectors. Which is, how it should be IMO.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It depends greatly on the room you are in and what your goal is. I wouldn't trade my projector for a flat panel, or my flat panel for my projector. They both have a time and a place of use. I watch major movies and sometimes hockey and other quality HD viewing on my projector. Stuff of some significance. My 161" screen dwarfs my 85" flat panel display, and I have it in a light controlled space with black drapes up to help with reflections (some). It's not a perfect room, but it's extremely fun. I also got a projector which is several steps better than a entry level DLP model. This matters a great deal when you are talking about black level performance.

In a really dark room, a good LCoS projector can look very good. Not OLED good, but still, really good. Plus, you get a lot of added potential size.

I will say that there is no such thing as using a TV for home theater. A big TV, no matter how big, is still just a TV. It feels like a TV, it looks like a TV. A projector with a front projection screen FEELS like a theater. It looks like a theater. It can be enjoyed as a group like a theater.

There are some who have used projectors who can't imaging using a TV again. There are those who have used a projector and didn't like it at all. But, for most, they share responsibility between TVs and projectors. Which is, how it should be IMO.
My long term plan was to have the OLED and a projector. But I have been very pleased with the OLED screen. We watch few movies. I mainly watch concerts and opera in this room.

So if I did use a motorized drop down screen and projector, I would have to be certain that it would in no way affect the center channel performance, so it would have to be perfectly acoustically transparent. I'm not sure there is such a screen, but maybe you can advise.

In addition, the optimal projector position would be just in front of the MLP. So I would not want a projector that made any noise. This room is really, really quiet except for program. So I have a lot of reservations about a projector.

The sonic performance and realism of the rig in this room, is totally astonishing. I just cannot believe how very, very close it gets to being there. I just don't want anything to detract from that, in the least. So may concern is that a projector project might end up being a total waste of money.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My long term plan was to have the OLED and a projector. But I have been very pleased with the OLED screen. We watch few movies. I mainly watch concerts and opera in this room.

So if I did use a motorized drop down screen and projector, I would have to be certain that it would in no way affect the center channel performance, so it would have to be perfectly acoustically transparent. I'm not sure there is such a screen, but maybe you can advise.

In addition, the optimal projector position would be just in front of the MLP. So I would not want a projector that made any noise. This room is really, really quiet except for program. So I have a lot of reservations about a projector.

The sonic performance and realism of the rig in this room, is totally astonishing. I just cannot believe how very, very close it gets to being there. I just don't want anything to detract from that, in the least. So may concern is that a projector project might end up being a total waste of money.
Acoustically transparent screens tend to have about as much impact on audio as speaker grills have. So, there is some, but it won't be major. This is where a company like Seymour AV has some really solid products worth consideration.

It should be considered that all projectors make noise. They have to have fans in them which can cool them. For those who want absolute silence, hush boxes can be used, but I rarely notice my projector is on when there is any actual music or dialog which is playing on the projector. Overhead is often an ideal location for a projector as fan noise is generally directed out of the sides, front, or rear. Most often, the rear. Some models direct it out the front, which could impact a purchasing decision.

Certainly a projector would add to any immersion you get from your current audio setup. But, it won't best the raw image quality which OLED delivers. Still, a nice JVC projector would certainly be the closest match.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Acoustically transparent screens tend to have about as much impact on audio as speaker grills have. So, there is some, but it won't be major. This is where a company like Seymour AV has some really solid products worth consideration.

It should be considered that all projectors make noise. They have to have fans in them which can cool them. For those who want absolute silence, hush boxes can be used, but I rarely notice my projector is on when there is any actual music or dialog which is playing on the projector. Overhead is often an ideal location for a projector as fan noise is generally directed out of the sides, front, or rear. Most often, the rear. Some models direct it out the front, which could impact a purchasing decision.

Certainly a projector would add to any immersion you get from your current audio setup. But, it won't best the raw image quality which OLED delivers. Still, a nice JVC projector would certainly be the closest match.
Thanks for that information, I will ponder it. I really don't like the idea of a fan. In a movie i might be OK, but otherwise I doubt I would use it. So it all depends if I want to go to that expense to watch movies, and the answer is probably no.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis