G

GettinDegreez

Junior Audioholic
I'm still working on building my own speakers, but in the mean time I've blown the voice coil on the 10" in one of my speakers. I need a cheap 10" woofer to replace both of the woofers. I've narrowed it down to these two...

Dayton 10" Classic

or

Dayton 10" DVC

Will the classic work fine or should I spend the extra 14 bucks for the pair on the DVC one? They both say 8 ohm impedence, but the DVC has a Re: 3.10 ohms vs the classic's Re: 6 ohms. Is the Re the minimum impedence?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tubes4Life

Junior Audioholic
are the speakers youre replacing dual-voice-coil? If not, get the classics.

G

GettinDegreez

Junior Audioholic
The one's I'm replacing are single coil, so I guess I'll go with the classic, but just out of curiosity, what difference would it make? Would it be harder to drive or would it just sound different than what I'm accustomed to?

T

Tubes4Life

Junior Audioholic
Those two drivers will sound different because they are of different design, but if you had a DVC version of the classic, it will sound the same as a single-coil classic provided that one coil is powered and the other is free of load.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Go with the classic. I've got two DVC 4ohm PMillers in my truck wired in parallel, pulling around an ohm of resistance. It's takes every bit of my 924 watt monobloc class D amp to push them. They sound fantastic, but are extremely thirsty. There's no reason to purchase DVC's in an entry level woofer IMO.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
GettinDegreez said:
I'm still working on building my own speakers, but in the mean time I've blown the voice coil on the 10" in one of my speakers. I need a cheap 10" woofer to replace both of the woofers. I've narrowed it down to these two...

Dayton 10" Classic

or

Dayton 10" DVC

Will the classic work fine or should I spend the extra 14 bucks for the pair on the DVC one? They both say 8 ohm impedence, but the DVC has a Re: 3.10 ohms vs the classic's Re: 6 ohms. Is the Re the minimum impedence?

You know, it's not quite as simple as tossing a driver in a cabinet. Is this a sealed, vented or maybe even a bandpass enclosure? The matching of drivers to the rest of the system is important. If you are going to slap something in you might want to go to your local flea market and get a pyramid driver. This isn't going to sound any different than the Dayton unless, the Dayton (TS parameters) happens to match the old ones perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GettinDegreez

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I know it's not going to be a perfect solution, but it's a cheap alternative till I finish working on the plans and funds to build my own speakers. I just need something because I'm missing everything from about 600Hz on down in my left channel. The recommended vented box size is just a tad smaller than my current box so I think that would work out good. I just figured Dayton was a pretty reputable DIY brand that made a good speaker and it would probably be better in terms of a lower Fs and better build quality than your typical flea market woofer. Plus at $42 bucks for the pair I don't know if I could beat that at a flea market.

MacManNM said:
You know, it's not quite as simple as tossing a driver in a cabinet. Is this a sealed, vented or maybe even a bandpass enclosure? The matching of drivers to the rest of the system is important. If you are going to slap something in you might want to go to your local flea market and get a pyramid driver. This isn't going to sound any different than the Dayton unless, the Dayton (TS parameters) happens to match the old ones perfectly.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
GettinDegreez said:
Yeah I know it's not going to be a perfect solution, but it's a cheap alternative till I finish working on the plans and funds to build my own speakers. I just need something because I'm missing everything from about 600Hz on down in my left channel. The recommended vented box size is just a tad smaller than my current box so I think that would work out good. I just figured Dayton was a pretty reputable DIY brand that made a good speaker and it would probably be better in terms of a lower Fs and better build quality than your typical flea market woofer. Plus at $42 bucks for the pair I don't know if I could beat that at a flea market.

Good point. Go for it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis