WHICH Subwoofer would YOU buy IF...??

J

jzac

Audioholic
.....If you needed 2 excellent subs for music and movies, good LFEs, low extensions, low distortion, good SPL, and you had a 8500+ cubic feet of HT space to fill driven by Denon's AVR-4810 receiver in a 9.2 setup, and budget for both subs under $1800 total that is bang for the buck? I'm not interested in DIY.

I know the contenders are HSU, SVS, Velodyne, Axiom, Paradigm, Definite Technology ProSub, etc. I need to know which model you folks would recommend. Appreciate the help to help me decide. :cool::D:)

Thx!!

Last edited by a moderator:
chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
2 epik empires , i have one in a 18' square loft and it it amazing

J

jzac

Audioholic
Shweeeeet...

Dang....never even heard of this one before, but the price and specs sound shweeeet! :D So this one will whoop SVS or HSU in the same price range? Seems like it.

What on earth is that "Dual Empire" ones they are coming out with? Soon as in next week and more expensive?:eek:;)

THX!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think the Dual Empires is just 2 of the singe subs sold as a pair with a slightly discounted price. It does look good too, almost makes me want to sell my PB13 Ultra for dual empires.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
i know how bad a$$ one is I cant even imagine two. the epik is just an incredible value!! not sure which is better but I love my Epik!!! and its a good company too. nice people :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I have the same size room, and if your looking for good impact, I don't even think 2 empires will provide you with enough bass...

But at least its a start... be prepared to want more....

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I would go with the Empires too at that budget.

My room is also the same size, I just switched from an awesome DIY sub to dual consumer subs. Now if FedEx would just drop them off.

J

jamie2112

Banned
+12 on the epiks they will give you some serious low end...Warp is a sub maniac :D and has some SERIOUS subs in his pad so take him lightly LOL J/K Warp ,but funny comment though...I would go for 2 epiks myself.....

J

jzac

Audioholic
Looks like the consensus is the Epik as of now and I really like the features and specs I have read. This sucker weights 130+ lbs?!!!! :eek::eek: Smokies! I can do weights with it for exercise! :p Thank God I have a concrete floor. Funny I haven't seen a single HSU or SVS lover come in and bombard Epik for something! :D No war? Where's the fun?! :p Kidding. It's good some of you have used one of the other brands and can make a good recommendation. Thanks.

I went to Epik's website and all the products are either discontinued or back- ordered. WTF..! :( I shot an email to them asking them how does one get their sub, or if they have a back door I could use?! :D

Hell, I'm imagining anything more than 2 good subs even in a room of that size will bring the roof down. I like nice tight loud base with a good slam, but not loud as in earth-shattering, window breaking, pots and pans breaking loud! :D I have an Axion EP600 upstairs for the last 4+ years driven by a Yammie, and that sucker can play loud and clean as is going deaf!! I think it's too expensive though.

Last edited by a moderator:
chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
they are pretty fast at filling back orders. As for the rest of there products, the empire is such a great deal its a better value than the rest and they are getting slammed with orders for it so i guess that speaks for it as well.. I recomend just getting an order in and waiting as they say on the website they wont bill your credit card until they ship it.

oh and it comes double boxed and well packaged :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Hell, I'm imagining anything more than 2 good subs even in a room of that size will bring the roof down. I like nice tight loud base with a good slam, but not loud as in earth-shattering, window breaking, pots and pans breaking loud! :D I have an Axion EP600 upstairs for the last 4+ years driven by a Yammie, and that sucker can play loud and clean as is going deaf!! I think it's too expensive though.

Yeah, but determine what you are saying by looking at room size, how big is the room upstairs...

I have a JL F112 in my bedroom, and its overwhelming - but in my great room I am still unable to touch that kind of impact or output with 4 subs, thats 3 x 18" sealed and 1 - 15"..... room size makes a huge difference, trust me.....

J

jzac

Audioholic
Thanks for that ordering tip Chris. Curious to know what their Dual Empire subs coming soon have to offer and the price on it before I rush in. Lets see if they respond to my email and give me some info on it. I'm sure it's got to be better in tech than just 2 standalone Empires one would think.....hmmm. :cool:

J

jzac

Audioholic
Yeah, but determine what you are saying by looking at room size, how big is the room upstairs...

I have a JL F112 in my bedroom, and its overwhelming - but in my great room I am still unable to touch that kind of impact or output with 4 subs, thats 3 x 18" sealed and 1 - 15"..... room size makes a huge difference, trust me.....
Yep, I know exactly what you mean and I agree. Upstairs is probably bigger than my basement because it's got no walls between rooms to isolate that area. Family room, living room, kitchen, dining, and the hallway is all open to a 20+ foot cathedral ceiling.....very open plan as you can tell. I have that EP sitting right next to the listening area and that probably has a lot to do with it. I kind of like the sub sitting next to the listening area for punch. Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the same in the basement. They will have to sit next to the front speakers....and that will be around 12-13 feet from the listening area. Hopefully 2 will suffice....otherwise I'll have to sell my family and buy more subs!! :D:D:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I heard that JL subs suck.....:eek:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

Warp, will you adopt me? :D

Oh yeah, OP...I have a 7500'^3 room and two SVS PB12-Plusses. T'ain't near enough. :(

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Well like they say if your car don't fit into the garage than buy a smaller car or something like that...:p.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis