Which subwoofer: Hsu VTF-2 MK-5 or SVS Pb-2000 Pro

B

Bojangles87

Audiophyte
What sub should I go with between these two.
Will be 60% music and the rest movies and gaming. Pricing is close. The hsu cost me 500$ CAD less.
I am in Canada so. This is a factor as well. Have been in contact with HSU and have a price that is as so.
Where is my money better spent? Keep in mind lots more music.

Was planning to pair with SVS ultra bookshelf speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For $500 less the Hsu would be a winner in my mind, as that would make duals (at least) more affordable. You can use any subs with any speakers for the most part, and most of the nitty gritty there is how you integrate/setup. As a Canadian (which I'm not) I'd also think about Funk Audio (but could take it far out of budget). What size space are you using it/them in ?

B

Bojangles87

Audiophyte
For $500 less the Hsu would be a winner in my mind, as that would make duals (at least) more affordable. You can use any subs with any speakers for the most part, and most of the nitty gritty there is how you integrate/setup. As a Canadian (which I'm not) I'd also think about Funk Audio (but could take it far out of budget). What size space are you using it/them in ?
Pretend they are the same price.
I am going for quality not affordability. These are the subs I’ve picked within budget to go duals with

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They aren't the same price so impossible for me to ignore with something like a sub, as a sub's value is in the combination or price/performance aspects....and I don't believe the SVS is $500 better (even in CA dollars :) ).

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
If the pb2000 pro is in budget then so is the the vtf3 mk5 hp from HSU.....that would be my vote. Especially if you go dual down the road and it's definitely better quality than the other two imo. You wouldn't be disappointed

B

Bojangles87

Audiophyte
It’s not really. Shipping these things is retarded. That’s why I am aiming to grab both at once if anything. I’m not trying to pay 1000$ shipping to get two 15” subs.
You sound like you are on board with the HSU well over the SVS hey? Or what.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the pb2000 pro is in budget then so is the the vtf3 mk5 hp from HSU.....that would be my vote. Especially if you go dual down the road and it's definitely better quality than the other two imo. You wouldn't be disappointed
Then again the VTF3 is a different sized sub from the VTF2 the OP referred to.....

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
I honestly don't think u can go wrong with either one. Svs has the app so it would edge out the Hsu if it was me buying. But like lovinthehd said it's hard to ignore the price difference

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s not really. Shipping these things is retarded. That’s why I am aiming to grab both at once if anything. I’m not trying to pay 1000$ shipping to get two 15” subs.
You sound like you are on board with the HSU well over the SVS hey? Or what.
Shipping isn't that much....but if you want to compare you have to include shipping expense as well as customer service options between the two....on performance alone I tend to give the Hsu a nod, for customer service options for the indecisive the SVS options can be much better....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I honestly don't think u can go wrong with either one. Svs has the app so it would edge out the Hsu if it was me buying. But like lovinthehd said it's hard to ignore the price difference
Then again the app is of limited usefulness....

B

Bojangles87

Audiophyte
Shipping isn't that much....but if you want to compare you have to include shipping expense as well as customer service options between the two....on performance alone I tend to give the Hsu a nod, for customer service options for the indecisive the SVS options can be much better....
I have a quote and the shipping and handling was at 575usd landed and that’s taxes duties paid.
for a pair of smaller subwoofers than the vtf-3. I don’t expect the shipping to be any less. And if I were to buy it in the future, I’d be paying shipping twice. So I think it’s quite factual what I said.
No doubt shipping isn’t that much for you, but north of the border. $$$

B

Bojangles87

Audiophyte
Then again the app is of limited usefulness....
The price difference is also me paying 500usd for shipping alone. Vs free shipping on the SVS. Many things I am trying to consider but above all I just want to get the most quality set of subwoofers between the two.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a quote and the shipping and handling was at 575usd landed and that’s taxes duties paid.
for a pair of smaller subwoofers than the vtf-3. I don’t expect the shipping to be any less. And if I were to buy it in the future, I’d be paying shipping twice. So I think it’s quite factual what I said.
No doubt shipping isn’t that much for you, but north of the border. $$$
So you're not in the US? That changes things quite a bit for subs generally, let alone specific vendors. Canada just doesn't have the greatest sub options unfortunately....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The price difference is also me paying 500usd for shipping alone. Vs free shipping on the SVS. Many things I am trying to consider but above all I just want to get the most quality set of subwoofers between the two.
What do you think the app provides that a good bass management setup in a pre-pro/avr doesn't, tho?

B

Bojangles87

Audiophyte
So you're not in the US? That changes things quite a bit for subs generally, let alone specific vendors. Canada just doesn't have the greatest sub options unfortunately....
Yeah man, I guess the main question should have been is it worth me paying 500usd to ship those babies in. I get it’s an obvious win if you are straight up saving like 800-1000$ but I’m not really saving. I’m paying big money to ship what I was hoping to be a more quality and articulate set of woofers. Ya feel me? lol... idk. It does suck! I wish I knew a friend south of the border. I wouldn’t mind to take a drive to pick some things up/expand my options.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PB-2000 Pro is overall the more powerful sub. Then again it should be at a 50% cost increase.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah man, I guess the main question should have been is it worth me paying 500usd to ship those babies in. I get it’s an obvious win if you are straight up saving like 800-1000$ but I’m not really saving. I’m paying big money to ship what I was hoping to be a more quality and articulate set of woofers. Ya feel me? lol... idk. It does suck! I wish I knew a friend south of the border. I wouldn’t mind to take a drive to pick some things up/expand my options.
Worse in Australia? That make you feel better? :)

I think you'd be quite happy with either sub, and especially duals rather than a single in any case. Hsu is very good value, but SVS has no value in Australia along the lines of what they offer here in the US either.....personally I'd look into DIY for even better value than those brands....

B

Bojangles87

Audiophyte
[
Worse in Australia? That make you feel better? :)

I think you'd be quite happy with either sub, and especially duals rather than a single in any case. Hsu is very good value, but SVS has no value in Australia along the lines of what they offer here in the US either.....personally I'd look into DIY for even better value than those brands....
thoughts on axiom? They have free shipping in Canada. Hear a lot of people talk about them like are the gospel.
I could get a single ep500 or single ep600

and if I was hungry for more upgrade at a later date as they are pretty pricey. Or am I better routed to just kind of stick with where I started this thread.
Reading on the axiom page, they are sounding pretty enticing. Maybe 1 could do it.
I can get 168$ savings on the ep600 just by waiting 21 days as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
[

thoughts on axiom? They have free shipping in Canada. Hear a lot of people talk about them like are the gospel.
I could get a single ep500 or single ep600

and if I was hungry for more upgrade at a later date as they are pretty pricey. Or am I better routed to just kind of stick with where I started this thread.
Reading on the axiom page, they are sounding pretty enticing. Maybe 1 could do it.
I can get 168$ savings on the ep600 just by waiting 21 days as well.
Where did I get the Australian thing? :0

Axiom has never impressed me with any of their offerings, but they do have their fans. I wouldn't buy anything from them, tho.

Getting multiples of the same sub can be better to integrate with your system to an extent, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis