which speakers to match for 7.2.4 home theater audio?

haef23

haef23

Audiophyte
I'm setting up a 7.2.4 home theater in a room that is 15'x29' with 9' ceilings. I currently have the following speakers (have had them for many years):
Klipsch KLF 20 floor standing, Ref IV RC62 center channel, and KSW 12 down firing subwoofer.

What speakers would you recommend I match up with those? The Atmos height speakers will be in ceiling. The side speaker will preferably be in wall. And the rear channel speakers I'm not sure.... I could put them in wall all the way back. But that is 29 feet from the TV. The main viewing will be around 13 feet from the screen. Or I could mount bookshelf speakers on the side of the wall about 18-20' feet back and angle them toward the main viewing area. Any thoughts there?

Also, what receiver would you recommend? I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible yet still get the 11 channels with decent sound.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hard to say what would match. I would personally call or email Klipsch and ask them. Most manufacturers are much more helpful than dealers and know the products too.
Aside from that, what’s the budget? I used RSL c34e’s in my ceiling for 7.3.4 and they’re great and only $125ea, but Klipsch probably have some that would match better.
I also might recommend NOT using rear surrounds and jut doing 5.2.4. Imo, you need 5-6’ behind the LP but I think the distance you’ll have is too far. AND, a well setup 5ch bed layer can be just as immersive. I use a Marantz, but sister company Denon will sound the same, and have the same Audyssey room correction. Yamaha AVR’s can make for great HT hubs, but I personally hate using them, and ypao isn’t as competent as Audyssey.
You’ll definitely need to invest in new subwoofage too. A ported pair from SVS, Rythmik, HSU, monolith, seaton, or JTR is where I’d look. Don’t underestimate quality bass. I can tell you the ksw12 isn’t even close to good modern subwoofers. Again, budget rules the day.

haef23

haef23

Audiophyte
Thank you for suggestions. Appreciate it!

Budget... I don't know. Just trying to keep costs at minimum and reasonable yet get something I'll be happy with for many years. Or at least have option to upgrade and grow into something without having to go crazy buying all new stuff or tearing into walls. I'm not sure I've ever had surround 5.1 sound setup properly in my house. In my previous house it was setup but I could really ever hear my rears which were Klipsh in ceiliing pointed toward me. I wonder if my receiver was good enough (Yamaha RX-V596)... I don't think there was a way to tune it or I just didn't know how. My front speakers were probably too close to together and it was in a really big basement living area in our previous house. So I'm probably not going to be real picky but I also don't want to regret not doing something after finishing. We're finishing off a 15'x29' room in our basement that will be gaming/theater room (a pool table, dart board, etc will be in back of room). And I'm trying to get all the speaker wires in right place, electrical in right place and plan out the entire thing. I'd like to be blown away by movies like star wars, marvel movies, john wick, game of thrones, sci fi, and so on. So I guess I'm gonna spend what I need to so those movies sound really good.

I also might recommend NOT using rear surrounds and jut doing 5.2.4. Imo, you need 5-6’ behind the LP but I think the distance you’ll have is too far.
For the 5.2.4, are you saying to just eliminate the rears (see #6 in picture) and only setup the side surrounds (see #5 in picture) and place them like shown here?

Or are you recommending 5.2.4 like this (assuming there's another sub)? With Left and right surround speakers mounted to the wall a few feet behind listening area as show here?

You’ll definitely need to invest in new subwoofage too. A ported pair from SVS, Rythmik, HSU, monolith, seaton, or JTR is where I’d look. Don’t underestimate quality bass. I can tell you the ksw12 isn’t even close to good modern subwoofers
I was just planning to get a new Klipsch sub. But I assume you think those other brands are better for a sub? Should I even keep my ksw12 or sell it?

Thanks again! BTW, so far just talking with various people I've had them recommend 7.2.4 setup with all surrounds in ceiling, 7.2.2 with standard setup, 7.2.4 with no rears, 5.2.4 standard setup. Seems like lots of different opinions. But I don't think I like the 7.2.2 idea or 7.2.4 with all surrounds in the ceiling. So those options are out in my mind.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi!
I’d like to address all those things but my family has me hostage for the day lol.
In short Klipsch only makes one sub that can imo compete with ID subs. Don’t buy a Klipsch sub.
5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2, and all IC will not work for Atmos. I had some really nice links to some Dolby white papers, but they’ve taken them down and now all that’s available are the generic ones like you’ve shared. Not to minimize them, but the other literature was much more granular and actually explains a LOT.
So, Again is like to help further, but my input will be waiting until later. If you have any children, happy Father’s Day! I hope it’s excellent. If not? That’s unfortunate.

haef23

haef23

Audiophyte
No worries... not in a big hurry. Hope you had a great fathers day!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis