Which speakers after AS-B1?

G

gevorg

Audiophyte
Hi all,

My first speakers, Athena AS-B1, served me well for almost a year, and now I'm ready for an upgrade.

Here is my current system:

Benchmark DAC1 > Teac A-L700P Class-D Amp > Athena AS-B1 Speakers

What speakers would you reccomend after this? I'm looking for bookshelf speakers; small room; very good clarity & imaging; lows/bass is not important; and well matched for digital amplification. Oh yeah, price, under $1000. I don't mind used, as long as its easy to find.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

P.S. Before you ask, I'm mainly bought the DAC1 to be used for Sennheiser HD-650 headphones, not Athenas ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Based on the specs of that amp, I wouldn't necessarily be looking to pair it up with $1K speakers. The only info I found said 30W @ 6Ohms rated at 1kHz, which isn't exactly a ton of power. I'd look for something efficient that was either 6 or 8 Ohms.

G

gevorg

Audiophyte
Actually, its gives ~10-15watts @ 8 Ohms, and trust me, its more than enough for AS-B1s (Sensitivity: 90dB).
Its a digital amp, similar to Sonic T-amp, both of which compares to amps costing many times more.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What is the purpose of this upgrade? What exactly is wrong with the B1's?

SheepStar

G

gevorg

Audiophyte
There is nothing wrong with them of course, I'm just looking for better speakers :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Many times more than the $30 price tag (Sonic T) isn't really saying a whole lot...:rolleyes:

Don't fool yourself, digital or not, a 15w amp isn't going to handle serious speakers; none that I was thinking of recommending anyway. The AS-B1s aren't difficult to drive. No offense, but I've owned a pair, and just because the amp handles them fine does not mean it will work for a current hungry, decent pair of $1K speakers.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get better speakers, but you might do just as well to get some $500 speakers and a $500 integrated amp, or something along those lines, or less expensive speakers.

G

gevorg

Audiophyte
No offense taken atl all.

As long as the speakers have high efficiency (90dB+), TEAC/Sonic amp will have more than enough power to drive them, regardless of their price ;)

If the speakers are power hungry, there is always Panasonic digital receivers, which have 100 watts per channel. Unlike in analog/tube amplification systems, digital amplification is so cheap that most of the funds should go in components that affect the sound the most: speakers/source.

In my system and for my tastes, TEAC is better than Denon AVR-2805, and even Rotel RB-1050 amp.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if you were to step up to something like the XR-55, that might be a little different. Digital amps are different, but they also do not have the same ability as a tube amp to put out considerably more than they are rated for. Yes, digital amps are efficient, but they are not magic.

Take a look at www.paradigm.ca the Studio 20s. There's a pair of Studio 40s on audiogon listed for $700 also. I'll come up with some others, because most that I'd suggest off the top of my head are either 4 ohm or lower sensitivity.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Upgrade from Athena

I also started with the Athena bookshelves and I am upgrading to the Axiom M22ti's. I think they should be a good performance (and price) setup up from the Athenas.

For 1K consider these boodshelf speakers with a small sub from SVS or HSU. Or you could go for a pair of floorstanders like the Axiom M60's. With your current Athena sutup, your are missing out on the 30-60 Hz range.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I agree that with that small wattage, a high efficiency speaker is in order. I would take a look at Klipsch in your price range.

Pat

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
I just upgraded my Athena's too

I really liked their sound so I stayed with API and just purchased some Energy Connnoisseur's. The Athena F-2's were too big and the B-2 was too small, the F-1's worked out very nice but I needed to go to with a large Bookshelf for WAF and lack of room for floorstanders.

For the Front's I settled on three C-C3; this is their "Flagship" Center Channel & LCR speaker that was designed for horizonal or vertical placement; it is also a 3-way speaker and quite a bit larger than the Athena AS C-1, and I think it will fill the gap between the B-2's & F-1 nicely. I was going to go with 5 of them but settled on two C-3's for the surrounds, will see how that sounds and still might exchange them for another pair of C-C3's. The C-C3's have 2 - 6.5" drivers and the C-3's have a single 6.5" driver so they should be closely matched. I will also probably add the C-R3 for the rear channel down the line for a 6.1 configuration; the 7.1 Athena setup I had using the R-1's was just too much for my room.

I got these on clearence and bought them for half the price they were retailing for but did not get to do a proper audition; I heard the Connoisseurs once and liked their sound very much but they were cost prohibitive at the time.

A pair of the C-C3's arrived today and the rest should arrive tomorow; will let you know how it sounds. Does anyone have any experience with the C-C3?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis