Which speaker plugs do I need?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nope... I think those are meant for you to twist up your speaker wire... stick it in the hole, and turn. I'm guessing those lock it in like a spring clip would. :)

Anybody else?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agree, looks intended for bare wire ends....never saw that type before....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I never saw those either. Agreed that bare wire connections will work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you want cable terminated with plugs particularly? Planning to change out the speakers/cables frequently or something? Really the only advantage to a plug....

If so, you could always change the binding posts to accommodate....

C

Cap0wn

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply guys! I currently have bare wire and the wire is too thick for the hole.. So it keeps falling out! I'll skin more off and try again!

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply guys! I currently have bare wire and the wire is too thick for the hole.. So it keeps falling out! I'll skin more off and try again!

Thanks
Curious, what gauge is it?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ha... those look like the kind of thing that requires something like 20-guage... or dental floss! That "turn to lock" is the give away... its gotta be low guage enough to bend and lock in place.

If you aren't averse to the work, replacing them with some real binding posts shouldn't be too difficult... a good soldering iron, a drill, various other tools. If you are really ambitious you can cut a whole for a cup with binding posts, but just two holes with the right posts would suffice. Or a Speakon..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks at least 12, maybe 10......but yeah, probably too thick for those binding posts :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
For those speakers, you probably need 18-20 awg
Correct! I had those on an old Technics SA20 receiver and they would take anything bigger than 16 gauge and that was TIGHT. I tried using some pin-type terminals, and those wouldn't grip either. Bare wire only.

If it wasn't a case of being a unit donated to an old veteran in my town, I would have changed out to common 5-way binding posts.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
But may as well just remove some strands from the bare end to accommodate what he already has.
Probably not generally a good idea. You'd probably have to cut way about 1/2 the strands, and no way to know how many on each end are actually connected at both ends without some painstaking work.

18 gauge zip cord is dirt cheap!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably not generally a good idea. You'd probably have to cut way about 1/2 the strands, and no way to know how many on each end are actually connected at both ends without some painstaking work.

18 gauge zip cord is dirt cheap!
Why would it make a difference if they're "connected" at each end? Cheaper to use what you have. Concern might be the weight of that heavy ass wire pulling out when moving stuff around perhaps....or just breaking more strands off.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Why would it make a difference if they're "connected" at each end? Cheaper to use what you have. Concern might be the weight of that heavy ass wire pulling out when moving stuff around perhaps....or just breaking more strands off.
True. That was pretty stupid of me, I admit. The limited number of conducting strands on one end go into the full number in the insulation and transfer into the limited number of strands on the other end.

I still don't like the idea though when small gauge speaker wire is so cheap.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can I order banana plugs?
No.

Those connectors are awful.

Either you replace them or do this mod.

Those connectors only take thin gauge wire and even then it falls out. The wire will have too much resistance.

So buy these.

Screw them on the back of the speaker, and connect the speaker connectors to the block connectors with a small length of narrow gauge wire, which will have little resistance. Now connect to the terminal connectors with the wires you have.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This method works fine! I've had to do it several times for various reasons, sometimes even for solder points.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis