Which soundbar + subwoofer to buy

O

Omarr

Enthusiast
If you can swing it, check SVS' outlet and get 3 Ultra bookshelf speakers. Their B Stock has been very good to me and the Ultras show up in the outlet fairly often for $399 apiece.

I've never heard the prime speakers, but have read lots of good about them too. I love my Ultras though. Even starting with just 2 of them and adding a center later would be perfectly acceptable and add the center when you can afford it.

The typical center channel design is more for aesthetics and having room to place it. A matching bookshelf will always sound better.
The ultra series is way above my budget, what I'm thinking now is either the prime bookshelf speakers (€649,-) or the prime center (€399,-). I don't know which to buy first tho, will have to test them and see which sounds better on its own.

It's most likely going to end up as a Prime set without any Ultras, as I kinda think that something like Ultras would be overkill in a ± 1500 cubic ft room. Then again I know nothing about it's exact difference, what I do know is that I don't feel like spending that much for my home theather, at least not now.

Will call the store today and ask if they have both the prime center speaker and the bookshelf speakers.

As was mentioned future proof and avrs don't always go well together. There are avrs that don't even have digital inputs that probably looked pretty future-proof in their day :) I think you could be happy with the tech of something like the 3300 for some time to come, though. I would start with L/R speakers if I couldn't afford all three L/R/C speakers (and use what is called a phantom center) at first.
I'm confident that the 3300 will keep me satisfied for quite a long while, hopefully 5 years atleast. As for the suggestion about the phantom center, thats gonna depend on which components the store has, and of course which sounds better on its own + sub.

O

Omarr

Enthusiast
Called them, The Denon 3300 receiver is there and the PB 1000 sub will be there before saturday. They don't have the Prime Center Speaker available, the Bookshelf speakers probably not either (I'll get a clearer answer about the bookshelf speakers soon). They do have the Ultra Center speaker, but thats above my budget sadly, I'll have to be very convinced to buy the Ultra, which will probably not happen.

Are there any other recommended Center speakers/Bookshelf speakers, or would it be wiser to test the Ultra Center, and perhaps order the Prime center after testing the ultra but expect less from the Prime once it arrives?

My preference would be SVS ofcourse, rather not have SVS subwoofer while other speakers are from a different brand.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Called them, The Denon 3300 receiver is there and the PB 1000 sub will be there before saturday. They don't have the Prime Center Speaker available, the Bookshelf speakers probably not either (I'll get a clearer answer about the bookshelf speakers soon). They do have the Ultra Center speaker, but thats above my budget sadly, I'll have to be very convinced to buy the Ultra, which will probably not happen.

Are there any other recommended Center speakers/Bookshelf speakers, or would it be wiser to test the Ultra Center, and perhaps order the Prime center after testing the ultra but expect less from the Prime once it arrives?

My preference would be SVS ofcourse, rather not have SVS subwoofer while other speakers are from a different brand.
I'd try to stick to a matching bookshelf speaker instead of an actual center. Center channels are designed the way they are so they fit above or under a tv better. There's a compromise of sound quality with the design. A matching bookshelf is a better match, imo.

Matching a subwoofer (or surrounds) isn't nearly as critical as matching your front 3. Pretty much any sub will match up with any speakers. I have SVS Utra speakers and Hsu subwoofers. SVS do make very good subs. The PB1000 is their entry level, but entry level from SVS is still very good.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think auditioning the ultra center wouldn't be the worst thing you can do. Svs has said the ultra and prime lines are voiced to be able to be mix and matched so the center can give some idea of the prime line.

O

Omarr

Enthusiast
I'd try to stick to a matching bookshelf speaker instead of an actual center. Center channels are designed the way they are so they fit above or under a tv better. There's a compromise of sound quality with the design. A matching bookshelf is a better match, imo.

Matching a subwoofer (or surrounds) isn't nearly as critical as matching your front 3. Pretty much any sub will match up with any speakers. I have SVS Utra speakers and Hsu subwoofers. SVS do make very good subs. The PB1000 is their entry level, but entry level from SVS is still very good.
I've decided to go with bookshelf speakers, will have to test a bunch of them to see what brand I want to go with for the front. Will spend 600 eu MAX on them, not a cent more.

How about surround speakers, should these be the same brand as front speakers too?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ideally yes. They would all be the same. Practicality wins the day however and even if you can keep them in the same brand will help.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ideally yes. They would all be the same. Practicality wins the day however and even if you can keep them in the same brand will help.
I agree with you matching is best, but if you have to skimp a little, surround speakers would be one place to do it, imo.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with you matching is best, but if you have to skimp a little, surround speakers would be one place to do it, imo.
Agreed. I do feel that especially with modern soundtracks having capable surrounds is more important than ever and poor ones can take away from the overall experience. Still, something usually has to give and that's a safe place to do it.

O

Omarr

Enthusiast
Well, tomorrows the day. Too bad they don't have SVS speakers on stock other than the subs, who knows those mightve been perfect for me.

Does anyone have experience with different brands? Music will only be like 5% of what ill do with my speakers, Would like to know which brands are good with movies and games.
What I'll most likely do is buy good speakers now of my liking, and ask if they can order one pair of the SVS Prime, which I'll test next week then, and who knows I'll swap the speakers for the SVS.

Last edited:
O

Omarr

Enthusiast
Well guys, got my 2.1 at home now...
Got the PB-1000 sub with a Focal Chorus 726 set and the AV Denon 2300.

So far, I didn't have much time to test it at home, but what I did hear here and at the store was AMAZING!
Going to test it out tomorrow more, did spend more than I wanted to but long term this will definitely not disappoint me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis